What a wet fart of a Game 1

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Chris, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Stars Fan

Stars Fan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    We "took away" Harden's left hand. Meaning we stood to the left side and begged him to drive into the lane, which he did like Lionel Ritchie, all night long. It was clear to the casual observer that this was not working, and was not going to work. As far as i could tell we made zero adjustments. We better figure something out, or we are toast.

#D.O.N. is the answer to all our challenges!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

Lakers_Slapper likes this.

2. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    Remember how AB was able to play in this series last year because he could beat his guy off the dribble... I wondered today if Grayson could have some success getting some penetration... yup, that is where I am and it only took one game for me to get there. Sad day.

We will obviously play better and I think we take a game or two, but my hopes of winning this series are gone.

Mission Accomplished likes this.
  3. Scat

Scat Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    "When it absolutely, positively has to be at the end of the bench"

LogGrad98 likes this.
  4. jope

jope Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Blake has rightfully earned a rep as a fragile player. Some here are comparing him to Dante.... But 4 of BG's 9 seasons he has played 90% (74+) of games. 7 of 9 he's played 80% (65+) of games. And this year he played 75 games with the 8th highest MPG (35.0) in the NBA, and has had 5 seasons of 35+ mpg.

Comparing him to Dante, who has had 1 of 5 seasons at 90% played (0 of his last 4) and has never surpassed 22 MPG, is faulty at best. Not to mention Blake is 10 times the player Dante is when he does play.

Also, people claim he wouldnt be there for the playoffs, but if my tally is correct, BG has played in 51 of 57 (~90%) possible playoff games.

fishonjazz likes this.
  5. Thee jazz fan

Thee jazz fan Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    The way I see it, we need to just play Harden straight up on Defense. Let him get his, and take shots away from everyone else. All forcing him left did was give him a wide open lane and he got right anyway. He either got a layup, an easy dunk for Capela or a wide open three for a teammate. Joust play the damn system you’ve done all year

Jingled likes this.
  6. latin jazz

latin jazz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Agree there was some value to be had around the fringes. It was rumored we wanted Gay two years ago during the Haywood fiasco. NBelly was a good option. However, we have no idea whether or not the interest was mutual, even if we had overpaid. Just because they were FA doesn't mean we had a chance to acquire them. Ah yeah, DL is quite conservative ("our best free agent is [a healthy] Alec Burks"). He must pull a big deal this offseason.

7. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    This is true.. and also Brooklyn may have matched any offer around the MLE for Harris. I just think we have enough evidence to know we did not push hard on those fronts.

It just seems to be a pattern of keeping the band together in order not to disrupt chemistry...

I think DL is a very good GM, but he is not above judgement and has had some missteps... some his fault some not.

latin jazz likes this.
  8. Eminence

Eminence Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    1) We don't have the Bucks players to run that defense 2) We obviously didn't understand it super well - the help the help rotations were crap 3) It largely succeeded for the Bucks as a fluke dependent on the role players missing open corner 3's

It's a bad defense that lets the Rockets play a very low effort offense and still consistently get very good looks. I pray I don't see it again this series.

9. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    Based on the quotes I’ve seen... it is coming by back

10. Eminence

Eminence Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Well that's idiotic.

Luiscar likes this.
  11. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    His injury history would scare me, but we need more playmaking/creation and more spacing... he'd provide both of those things at a high level. If you managed his minutes like Kawhi I wonder if it'd help. This current injury seems more wear and tear related.

I don't see Detroit moving him for anything we'd be willing to offer.

jope likes this.
  12. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    We will see... it would kind of be par for the course with our team/franchise... ride certain players/strategies into the ground and change later when its too late.

Ostertag>Duncan likes this.
  13. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Even if he was, we can’t get Griffin and Kemba. Unless we’re willing to trade Ingles and Crowder. I think.

14. jope

jope Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    He’s played in 51/57 playoff games and averaged 21/8.5/4 over them. The “not healthy for the playoffs” is overstated I think

15. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    We’d be lucky to get one of them. Two ain’t happening.

16. Jingled

Jingled Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

May 23, 2018
    Do we even have enough assets to trade for Griffin?

17. Sandman822

Sandman822 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I was doing a bit of a deep dive on Kemba on another forum in a Kemba vs 2017 John Wall thread, and when you look at the trash can rosters he's been carrying almost to the playoffs himself as a 6'1 PG who isn't known for playing defense and just how efficient he's been as a scorer with effectively no reliable 2nd option on his team throughout his entire prime I came away thinking how underrated he actually is. If he's all about winning and doesn't really care where he does it (which I genuinely believe coming from Kemba) then I really hope he gives Utah a look because him + Mitchell makes the Jazz super dynamic on the perimeter and I think it also makes our secondary creator guys like Ingles that much better too, and we've got the system and players in place to hide Kemba's weaknesses defensively as much as any other team in the league.

Keep Neto and Exum (Neto is just the solid backup PG and you keep your fingers crossed we can get more than 2 weeks of that December Exum stretch as he's an ideal 3rd guard to pair with Mitchell and Kemba), look to upgrade more of the shooting on the wings (Mirotic would be the ideal pick on a decent contract but he seems pretty happy in MIL) and I think the Jazz become dynamic enough offensively to be considered a real threat to contend. They'll struggle early as the team adjusts to Kemba and vice versa but I think Kemba is actually a really, really ****ing good player and is the exact type of player the Jazz need to compliment Mitchell and Gobert.

18. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    *Complement

In b4 @colton

Sandman822 likes this.
  19. Sandman822

Sandman822 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Sorry I haven't had my coffee yet

LogGrad98 likes this.
  20. reignman40

reignman40 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    We need to play Harden straight up and suffocate everyone else, just like they did on defense. Harden might get 50-60 but it might be the only way to hold them under 100.

LogGrad98 and Wes Mantooth like this.