What's new

What a wet fart of a Game 1

Please for the love of all that is holy, NO LOVE!

Favors was the LEAST of the Jazz problems last night, the Jazz looked not good but the least bad when Favors was on the floor, it could be because at least with him on the court they weren't giving up as many offensive rebounds and points in the paint as compared to when he was off and the Jazz gave up the lane, open 3's and on the rare occasion HOU missed any of these wide open and easy shots they VERY often got the offensive rebound.

They gave it up like Ingles gives up open shots, or how about this they gave it up like the Jazz give up the basketball on offense? I would say like hooker gives it up but even a hooker isn't as easy as the Jazz last night.

I also would say no to Kemba, I get the idea of addressing the Jazz need of another scorer but the fit is bad IMO. Perimeter defense would go to hell and Rudy would want to leave because of it, again IMO.

Griffin all depends on the cost. If we could send out Exum, Grayson, Bradley and our 2019 1st and maybe other minor/protected draft considerations for Blake, then we do it without hesitating. If Detroit gets obliterated in the playoffs and Blake never comes back, maybe they consider the savings we could provide. It's conceivable that we could add Blake and keep Favors, so the health concerns for Blake are worth the risk considering what he could provide if he was healthy.

We need a change in the forward and point guard slot. Jae or Favors has to go and, obviously, AT LEAST one of our point guards has to go. I wish it was Exum but we'll have to give a pick or 2 to get rid of him sadly. I'd go after Kemba. Then trade Favors and/or Jae, Exum, Allen, thabo + picks for Blake. Problem solved for the jazz. 3 great scoring punches with Donovan.

Kemba
Donovan
Ingles
Griffin
Gobert.

Who says no to that lineup?

That would be a great lineup. Blake cant stay healthy but that is worth the risk I think.

But we dont have room to sign Kemba and retain Favors to use in the trade I dont think.

Favors as a backup center is a wet dream.

Did the jazz screw up resting our starting 5 other than Ingles in the last game? Everyone was flat, and upset that Niang didn’t get any minutes. He had been playing well and can actually score a little. With that said, maybe Allen should’ve gotten at least a few min after it was evident after Neto was a complete disaster on the court or give our best offensive player all of the pg backup min. Quin needs to play his two best players extra min in the playoffs not the same old routine.

If the jazz are just going to give harden the lane everytime there needs to be defensive rotations. It seemed like the Rockets got an easy dunk for Capela or a wide open corner three, it seems the jazz would be better off guarding Harden straight up, because they clearly had no idea what they were doing last night.

The jazz got away from their offense. We weren’t doing pick’n roll, we weren’t isolating Harden and Capela like at all. The entire team was was a complete disaster, might have been Quin’s Worst coaching job to date.

Did the jazz screw up resting our starting 5 other than Ingles in the last game? Everyone was flat, and upset that Niang didn’t get any minutes. He had been playing well and can actually score a little. With that said, maybe Allen should’ve gotten at least a few min after it was evident after Neto was a complete disaster on the court or give our best offensive player all of the pg backup min. Quin needs to play his two best players extra min in the playoffs not the same old routine.

If the jazz are just going to give harden the lane everytime there needs to be defensive rotations. It seemed like the Rockets got an easy dunk for Capela or a wide open corner three, it seems the jazz would be better off guarding Harden straight up, because they clearly had no idea what they were doing last night.

The jazz got away from their offense. We weren’t doing pick’n roll, we weren’t isolating Harden and Capela like at all. The entire team was was a complete disaster, might have been Quin’s Worst coaching job to date.
Some hard truths in here.

i don't think we have the personnel to guard Harden that way. Bledsoe is a great, great, on ball defender... Hill pretty good too when he's healthy. Ricky (and others) were beat so bad by this that he got back to his left a lot anyway.

I'm not sure the defense was a problem last year... it was okayish last year... just do the hold your hands high and keep him off the foul line defense. If he hits 10 step backs and we lose fine. Keep him and Capela off the rim and don't give up wide *** open threes to Tucker/Gordon/House.

The offense is just bad... gotta figure out something better... may not have the horses there unfortunately.

Neto probably shouldn't play. Mitchell should play backup pg.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JazzFanz mobile app

He was fine last night... someone has to play. Korver almost fouled out in like 10 minutes... doesn't look like he's moving well at all. Ricky is coming back from injury so can't play 40 minutes.

The whole bench was dreadful... not gonna single one guy out.

Jae has to make shots... Thabo too... People complained about Ricky, but he was solid last night... defense was just okay but that scheme isn't great for him so I'm not gonna bury him there.

I've seen a lot of people blasting Rudy on twitter. I'm not sure what he's supposed to do. Our perimeter defenders can't stay with Harden at all, he blows right by them and then Rudy is in no mans land. He either comes up to guard Harden and Capella is left wide open for a lob or he stays with Capella and Harden gets and easy bucket. How is he supposed to guard two people at the same time?

Two things:
We need to realize that there is a big difference between being aware of your weaknesses and your ability to address them. DL is quite conservative. But he has shown he realizes what the team needs (like shooting with the Korver trade). Another thing is his ability to hit a home run (quite difficult to pull off). My observation goes to the first point.

Second, you are suggesting we had the ability to bring big talent the last off-season. Two words: cap space. We didn't have it. Therefore, the moves during the previous off-season and this one were designed to manage and extend our assets (Thabo, Udoh, Favors, Exum, Neto) to hopefully pull the trigger on a deal during the trade deadline with some of those contracts and/or expiring ones (Burks, Rubio). Everyone expected a trade due to the roster flaws. Not being able to make a trade was pretty frustrating. The next off-season should prove DL's ability to fix the roster. If not, we would be wasting Rudy and Donovan's prime.

We had enough flexibility around the fringes to make an addition or two. Granted making an offer of the MLE would seemingly hurt our flexibility. We could have taken a chance on one of the many guys who signed for around MLE money and those guys would have made a difference. Many of us like guys like Joe Harris, Rudy Gay, Bjelica, etc. and all could have helped us. Could have release Jonas/Thabo and/or Udoh. We may have ended up with Kyle Anderson or another guy that would be bad value... that list has the benefit of hindsight, but those were all guys I thought were FA targets at the time. I get why we aren't aggressive on big stuff all the time because you only have so much ammo... it's that we don't make moves around the fringes that could have some upside.

Even if those additions didn't help us in this series they would have helped us win a few more games during the year or they can be trade assets or free us up to trade other guys who are assets. DL has been overly conservative... keeps us out of trouble but also has limited our ability to take the next step forward.

I've seen a lot of people blasting Rudy on twitter. I'm not sure what he's supposed to do. Our perimeter defenders can't stay with Harden at all, he blows right by them and then Rudy is in no mans land. He either comes up to guard Harden and Capella is left wide open for a lob or he stays with Capella and Harden gets and easy bucket. How is he supposed to guard two people at the same time?

He shouldn't get blasted, but there were times he could and should have come up and didn't... there were also a couple rebounds I felt like were his to grab and he didn't go get them.

He has to be phenomenal for us to win... he was fine last night. You are right though... Harden coming full speed at Rudy with Capela and the corners open is not going to work out well for us.

I just think you play them in more of a traditional way. I get we are terrified of the Harden step back... he still got it and hit it last night... 4/7 per Locke. There will be more variance in that number than when Tucker gets an open corner three or capela gets a lob attempt though. He could go 4/7 one night and 2/7 the next.

IDK... there are more questions than answers. I hope we don't go back to the game 1 strategy and just try to do it better.

The way we were defending we should have been in a zone. I know the switching D is really kind of a modified zone, but I wonder if a real zone, like a 122 would be effective, putting both favors and Gobert at the rim.

The way we were defending we should have been in a zone. I know the switching D is really kind of a modified zone, but I wonder if a real zone, like a 122 would be effective, putting both favors and Gobert at the rim.

No... I think the corners would be wide *** open.

I don’t think there is some exotic scheme that will work. I think you throw a few things his way... make the guys around him think a bit more and make him work a little harder for separation.

It sounds like we are going to stick with the strategy... maybe we see it as the strategy that significantly hurts them if it works like it has the highest ceiling. I think we are in trouble.

What happened to our defense? Complete and total breakdown defensively from top to bottom! From the get go our defensive strategy was flawed and non-existent! We can begin with leaving all those 3 point shooters wide-open to can whatever shot they desired to take! No need to leave your man to help out on Haden while your man takes dead aim from beyond the arc! Favors and Rudy were clueless out there when it came to covering their man. I don't think either one of them picked up a foul trying to defend anyone. That has to change next game. Offensively, we didn't play all that bad. It was just a complete and total breakdown on defense from what we were playing, how we executed our defense, and what are game plan was suppose to be. Had we played a smitgen of defense our offensive would have produced by a factor of 10. We will do better next game and certainly when we get back home.
We "took away" Harden's left hand. Meaning we stood to the left side and begged him to drive into the lane, which he did like Lionel Ritchie, all night long. It was clear to the casual observer that this was not working, and was not going to work. As far as i could tell we made zero adjustments. We better figure something out, or we are toast.

#D.O.N. is the answer to all our challenges!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app