What's new

What are your "we'd have a ring IF" beliefs?

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
What beliefs do you hold where had some realistic thing transpired that you believe would have led to a title? This has to be within the realm of possibility and something that was legitimately on the table. For instance, you can't say drafting Jokic instead of trading back for Bolomboy. It also has to have some level of proximity, so you can't just say not sign Gail Goodrich and have Magic Johnson, or you couldn't just say keep Dominique as he was traded 15 years before we made our first finals. I'd also like to avoid things that are outside the hands of the franchise and its players (i.e. not "if they called Jordan's push-off" or "if they didn't waive off Eisley's 3"). The rules on this are that you have to give your first unbiased take, meaning you can't read through the responses first. You can certainly give updated takes after reading but the idea is to capture the first things that come to your mind. I will list mine in spoilers. You don't have to put yours in spoilers, but the idea is to respond to the question first before reading others' responses but you're welcome to then add other discussion after reading.

My tops are as follows:

1. The Rony Seikaly trade goes through. This one still chaps my ***.

2. Gordon Hayward stays. If we were on enough of an upswing and then had Mitchell come through, perhaps that accelerates a timeline and we still have draft assets to move things along faster rather than "keeping the powder dry."

3. Kirilenko kept his motivation during our WCF run. If he had enjoyed basketball at that point like he did before, in terms of hustling and doing dirty work. It's a bit of a tall order as we were 1-4 against San Antonio, but that series was really the championship series.

Ike Austin... can't remember all the circumstances but if we had Ike Austin we win the title.

Close second... Rony Seikly. Eff that guy.

Gordon Hayward doesn't go to Boston is 3rd. He doesn't mash his ankle... we have prime Gordo, Don, Rudy, Ricky, Joe and DL also gets a good backup center at the minimum. We use picks to trade for Derrick White instead of offloading bad centers.

Also my AK/Dwill/Boozer/Okur era what if would be "What if we fired Sloan and hired a better modern coach".

Like a coach who would have been more ahead of the 3 ball movement when we had Okur and Korver.... Even CJ Miles was wasted to an extent when he ended up being a really good career 3pt shooter.

What beliefs do you hold where had some realistic thing transpired that you believe would have led to a title? This has to be within the realm of possibility and something that was legitimately on the table. For instance, you can't say drafting Jokic instead of trading back for Bolomboy. It also has to have some level of proximity, so you can't just say not sign Gail Goodrich and have Magic Johnson, or you couldn't just say keep Dominique as he was traded 15 years before we made our first finals. I'd also like to avoid things that are outside the hands of the franchise and its players (i.e. not "if they called Jordan's push-off" or "if they didn't waive off Eisley's 3"). The rules on this are that you have to give your first unbiased take, meaning you can't read through the responses first. You can certainly give updated takes after reading but the idea is to capture the first things that come to your mind. I will list mine in spoilers. You don't have to put yours in spoilers, but the idea is to respond to the question first before reading others' responses but you're welcome to then add other discussion after reading.

My tops are as follows:

1. The Rony Seikaly trade goes through. This one still chaps my ***.

2. Gordon Hayward stays. If we were on enough of an upswing and then had Mitchell come through, perhaps that accelerates a timeline and we still have draft assets to move things along faster rather than "keeping the powder dry."

3. Kirilenko kept his motivation during our WCF run. If he had enjoyed basketball at that point like he did before, in terms of hustling and doing dirty work. It's a bit of a tall order as we were 1-4 against San Antonio, but that series was really the championship series.
2 outta 3 are shared.

I won't talk about the more obvious ones like everything from game 6 '98. Here are some other slight changes from the past that I think could've changed our trajectory maybe leading the way to a title:

-Lakers never trade for Pau
-CP3 over Deron
-Refs call basket interference on Pippen (game 6 '97)
-Drafting Bane (already mentioned)
-Jazz win game 5 against Rockets (1995)

I'd say the biggest is when we were looking to draft a rim protector in 2007 draft to address our biggest weakness on the team that is paint security.

Then we got a shot blocking big man from Europe named Fesenko when Marc Gasol was still available despite having a much better resume at the time.

The single biggest "what if" moment in our franchise history. One can argue Lakers wouldn't have knocked us out 3 seasons in a row without Pau Gasol. And they wouldn't have gotten Pau in the first place if they didn't have Marc, who Memphis admired for a long time(he even played high school ball in Memphis). Not to mention how scary our roster would have looked with Dwill/AK/Boozer/Marc. It's truly a complete team that could have remained in contention for many more years to come.

Last edited:
I'd say the biggest is when we were looking to draft a rim protector in 2007 draft to address our biggest weakness on the team that is paint security.

Then we got a shot blocking big man from Europe named Fesenko when Marc Gasol was still available despite having a much better resume at the time.

The single biggest "what if" moment in our franchise history. One can argue Lakers wouldn't have knocked us out 3 seasons in a row without Pau Gasol. And they wouldn't have gotten Pau if they didn't have Marc, who Memphis admired for a long time(he even played high school ball in Memphis). Not to mention how scary our roster would have looked with Dwill/AK/Boozer/Marc. It's truly a complete team that could have remained in contention for many more years to come.
Kind of a convoluted what if though.

Like just get a coach who embraced Okur's ability to shoot the 3....

We'd have a ring if we made any freaking trade to obtain someone between the summer of 1996 and summer of 1999. Three years of contention and the biggest trade was when we sent a 2nd round pick to GSW for Todd freaking Fuller.

Ike Austin... can't remember all the circumstances but if we had Ike Austin we win the title.
That one was rough seeing him tear it up in Miami and getting MIP during our first finals while knowing we could have really used him.

I mean, I'd much rather have Bane than McDaniels.
That's a response to OP on the realistic approach. Cuz all sources said it was between McDaniels and Dok and DL chose Dok even though EVERYONE else wanted McDaniels. I don't think Bane was ever in the conversation and his profile wasn't enough to help us at that time anyways as we needed perimeter/wing defender more than anything.

If DM had even a slight bit of interest in playing defense in the playoffs of the 20-21 season. It would have been tough to beat Phoenix but that version of our team usually played well against Milwaukee.

Idk if DM playing defense meets the realistic qualifier though.

Kind of a convoluted what if though.

Like just get a coach who embraced Okur's ability to shoot the 3....
Okur was overworked cuz we failed to get him a serviceable backupto to help reduce his workload... which is why I don't understand the love for Fess here cuz the guy is awful. He would come on for like 5 mins and pick up 2 quick fouls then we would have to put Memo back in. Memo and Yao are like the two biggest victims of that old school mentality and could really have benefitted from load management strategy we employed today. They would have much a longer career in today's NBA. Okur would probably be able to retire in a jazz uniform if we got Marc as his backup.

Last edited:
Jazz would have won a chip in 1995 if David Benoit could make an open jumper. Jazz would have beaten Houston, Phoenix and Orlando, but instead lost in the 1st round to Houston.