What's new

What do Utah, Portland, Indiana, Phoenix, Charlotte, New Orleans, OKC all have in common?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
These are some of the franchises that will become farm teams for the "real" franchises in the era of the super team. They are franchises that have had a major player bolt, or many rumors and speculation of a major player bolting, in the past few years. In the era of the super team, where all-stars know they have to band together to win championships, they will center around the cities with the best chances for multiple endorsement deals (meaning larger markets and/or a history of winning) and/or the places they want to live (California teams, Florida teams, Texas teams, NY, Chicago, Boston, etc.) This is the death of the NBA as we know it. A Utah or an Indiana or Phoenix will have a hard time enticing the all-stars to get enough of them together to compete. We will see these teams (in the thread title and others, like Sacramento maybe) continually in the lottery, then watch those lottery picks blossom into blooming all-stars enough for these teams to reach the play-offs so that all-star can showcase their abilities, then leave for LA, Miami, San Antonio, whatever, to band together with 2-4 other all-stars to win their title and make their money, then retire.

/fatalistic pessimistic rant

These are some of the franchises that will become farm teams for the "real" franchises in the era of the super team. They are franchises that have had a major player bolt, or many rumors and speculation of a major player bolting, in the past few years. In the era of the super team, where all-stars know they have to band together to win championships, they will center around the cities with the best chances for multiple endorsement deals (meaning larger markets and/or a history of winning) and/or the places they want to live (California teams, Florida teams, Texas teams, NY, Chicago, Boston, etc.) This is the death of the NBA as we know it. A Utah or an Indiana or Phoenix will have a hard time enticing the all-stars to get enough of them together to compete. We will see these teams (in the thread title and others, like Sacramento maybe) continually in the lottery, then watch those lottery picks blossom into blooming all-stars enough for these teams to reach the play-offs so that all-star can showcase their abilities, then leave for LA, Miami, San Antonio, whatever, to band together with 2-4 other all-stars to win their title and make their money, then retire.

/fatalistic pessimistic rant

Unintended consequences of the GSW but it is true. If they are this dominant for the next 2-3 years expect ever decreasing revenue. NBA needs to make a franchise tag or find a way for the home team to have some advantage.

Unintended consequences of the GSW but it is true. If they are this dominant for the next 2-3 years expect ever decreasing revenue. NBA needs to make a franchise tag or find a way for the home team to have some advantage.

They need a hard cap and no salary limit. If you want to give Durant 100M, good... do it... you will have 10 min contracts to fill the rest of your roster.

They need a hard cap and no salary limit. If you want to give Durant 100M, good... do it... you will have 10 min contracts to fill the rest of your roster.

Yup, but the player's union would never go for it.

There needs to at least be some sort of designated/franchise player that if signed will cost the acquirer at least one first round pick.

There needs to at least be some sort of designated/franchise player that if signed will cost the acquirer at least one first round pick.

Yup. Silver needs to step up. This is the issue that will define his commissionership

Yep. They need to prevent high level FAs from leaving without compensation. I don't think it even needs to be a designated tag. Any player who made the all-star team or all NBA team should qualify. Maybe an even steeper price for a designated franchise player.

With the cap leveling out, it should solve a good part of the problem. Players talk about taking pay cuts, but once these teams start paying the repeater tax, we'll just see how much of a pay cut it really is. I think players and owners are going to have a very different definition of what qualifies as a pay cut.

The problem is these kids come into the league so raw now, it takes 3-5 years for them to develop (Hayward) and by the time they are good, their second contract ends and they are free.

When the **** has Utah ever been a farm team?

This is about the future... not the past.

This is a legit issue going forward... you can say there have always been super teams, but the league is drastically different from the LAL and Boston days. So much money involved and need the other franchises to maximize value and interest. If GSW is this dominant next year viewership declines more and playoffs get shorter. Shorter contracts make player movement easier and guys will view banding together as the only hope.

Has there been any good official rationale about why the cap is coming in so much lower?

Has there been any good official rationale about why the cap is coming in so much lower?

Playoffs were shorter, less tv revenue.

Last year it dropped from 108 to 103 because of overspending... 101-102 down to 99 was tv playoffs related.

Effing warriors.

Just get rid of the ****ing free agency already. The players have way too much power and have all gotten entirely too big for their britches.

This is about the future... not the past.

This is a legit issue going forward... you can say there have always been super teams, but the league is drastically different from the LAL and Boston days. So much money involved and need the other franchises to maximize value and interest. If GSW is this dominant next year viewership declines more and playoffs get shorter. Shorter contracts make player movement easier and guys will view banding together as the only hope.
I think you are overstating

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

I like the idea of the franchise tag. If you sign my player i get you first round draft pick next year no matter what. If you dont own a pick next year it will be the following year etc. (if you have some one elses pick the previous team will get the lower of those picks)

Look what parity has done in the NFL. It makes every year fun because any team has a chance to win.

I'll take a lockout to get a hard cap. It won't be worth watching much basketball soon anyways if they don't get a hard cap implemented soon.

I think you are overstating

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

I hope so. It's always been the haves and have nots, but we've had a robust middle class of maybes. Memphis is a good example... they could have challenged some of the better teams without a super duper star... or at least you could make an okay case. We GSW you really can't what motivation does the middle class have to become a maybe. More teams should tank, but with a salary floor and potential lost gate receipts it may be financially tenuous.

If Hayward leaves and PG forces his way out it reinforces the trend. We are more nomadic these days and nomads will congregate in more desirable locations. Losing an all-star and getting nothing is crippling for one franchise and a huge boon for the other. If it continues you think fans will continue to shell out dough to see their favorite team or give their attention/viewership. I have never watched less playoffs than I did this year. Watched the finals mostly and the Jazz. I usually watch it all.

Or at least moves in that direction. A much harder cap (even stiffer penalties for exceeding luxury threshold) and much larger max contracts would go a long ways towards promoting parity.

I'll take a lockout to get a hard cap. It won't be worth watching much basketball soon anyways if they don't get a hard cap implemented soon.

Those 20 teams may get the megamarkets to bend.

Back