What's new

What happened in your house before you moved in?

I'm actually kinda a believer in this sort of stuff though. I'm a pretty logical thinker and am religious but not overly religious. But I remember seeing some pretty weird stuff in Brazil. I wouldn't doubt that there's stuff going on thisnyear that isn't all psychological but supernatural.

To clarify, I "am a believer in this sort of stuff" is the language of folks who have an inventory of experience which somehow doesn't just "fit" with a purely materialist view of reality. . . .

This is the rational and reasonable state of mind of anyone who is not ideologically committed to denial of everything that they think could not be possible.

You reveal yourself here to be a believer in your own mythologies about what can be "rational" or "natural".

you're the one saying there's nothing beyond your set of acceptable and/or sufficient knowledge base that could be considered. This is in fact an inversion of general principles of the Scientific Method.

I was not asserting that "ghosts or goblins" exist, but that a person dedicated to Science would consider it essential to investigate the claims somehow before being satisfied that it's the water pipes/pressure fluctuations, a hallucination of some kind in the kid or the mom, or the neighbors' garage door opener.

So far as I'm concerned it could be some pranksters in the neighborhood, it could be the imagination of a TV reporter working hard on a slow day, it could be the HSA or even the Powell granddad now outta jail. . . . . and uhhhhhhmmmmm. . . . . . maybe something else we just don't know anything about yet.

The assertion that seriously disturbed persons now deceased do in some places linger in "ghost" form and do stuff is a common one, but science doesn't have the technology or equipment to test for such a "presence", and the whole claim of life after death remains untestable. A good scientist will recognize the limits of his abilities to test a hypothesis, or maybe will come up with some kind of rational and reasonable method of exploring a hypothetical ghostly presence.

The fun programs done by Coast to Coast sometimes involve persons claiming somehow to have equipment relevant to such a hypothesis,but I haven't seen a very convincing study done which would convince me they have the competence to investigate paranormal things.

A person who invokes "religion" or "God" or say angels or demons or any kind of visitation or presence of a deceased person, or so far as I know, of a resurrected person such as Jesus, is clearly not standing on Science as the basis of the belief. But neither is any "Scientist" who steps out to claim Science has disproven anything that can't be tested, or hasn't been tested.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. So far the burden of proof has not been met on this one.

My apartment building is situated on a block of other similarly sized buildings, with about 60 units in each. When these buildings were constructed, this was a Jewish working-class neighborhood. You can tell this from the scars of the mezuzahs left on the doorframes and the stars of David scrawled into the cement on the sidewalk fifty years ago. I imagine there was a lot of good cooking, procreating, and family-raising that occurred here before I arrived.

Two years ago I moved in. The neighborhood is now primarily Caribbean. My neighbors are mostly Haitian, Guyanese, Jamaican, Bajan, Trini, etc. Pretty cool people I suppose. The neighborhood is rough, though. In my first year here, I was robbed at gunpoint and a dude was shot dead point-blank in the middle of day across the street. On more than two occasions, I have seen anti-"gentrifier" graffiti emblazoned on the walls of my subway station, messages like "When white people move in, black rent goes up," "Stop the white move ins!" and "Stop white gentrification of Flatbush." Needless to say, I don't feel wholly welcome, but for the most part I've had no problems assimilating as a resident of the neighborhood.

I imagine what happened in my apt before I moved in was a lot of dope cooking, weed smoking, and procreating as well. Never heard about any murders in my bldg, but I wouldn't be surprised.

My 'hood in 1915:
Flatbush_Public_Library,_Brooklyn,_1915.png

My hood atm:
7ZfRc0l.jpg

Last edited:
(KUTV) The family who is currently renting the home formerly owned by Josh and Susan Powell says they have moved out.

Joanna Aeosana says since she and her family moved in two months ago numerous mysterious events have occurred inside the house. She says the company who leased the house to her never told her about the history of the home.

Aeosana says she was unaware of the story of the Powell's and says almost from the moment her family moved in, strange stings have been happening.

"I hear people crying when I'm showering," she told 2News.

Aeosana also says the garage door opens and closes on its own. Most recently, she said her 1-year-old son was taking to an empty swing in the front yard of the home saying, "Go away, leave me alone."

https://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_13562.shtml

I call complete and utter BS.

Ah, the joys of being a true advocate of science. . . . and knowing everything before anyone has taken the trouble to trot out with a hypothesis, do any testing intended to explore the facts, or submitting same to an impartial team of experts for review. . . .

Good enough to just assume we have achieved comprehension of the universe and every issue has been settled.

I agree with you babe (yuck), but for a wonder, DoucheJazzer has decent points. Occam's Razor n' stuff.

I'm a pretty logical thinker...

I stopped right there and literally died laughing. It sucks.

Ah, the joys of being a true advocate of science. . . . and knowing everything before anyone has taken the trouble to trot out with a hypothesis, do any testing intended to explore the facts, or submitting same to an impartial team of experts for review. . . .

I took the trouble to trot out a hypothesis. Do you have evidence against it?

Logic can be used in the service of mystical nonsense; it's very flexible that way. He's not a skeptical thinker.

I think he was just disagreeing with The Thriller being a logical person in general, in which case, I'd agree.