What's new

What if we are stuck in rebuilding mode long term, ala the Clippers, Wizards, TWolves?

Since this is my first thread on Jazzfanz (I have been an avid reader for the last five years or so), I wanted to post a question that has been nagging at me ever since we KOC decided to go for the youth movement:

What if we are stuck in rebuilding mode long term?

Honestly, I really like Hayward, Favors, Evans, Jefferson, Millsap, and Harris. I like the potential that could come if we draft well this year and get a future starter and a future rotation player. But what if we screw up this draft or KOC decides to trade the rest of our veterans and go straight for the youth movement and his ideas don't pan out? What then? Will the Jazz continue to make mistake after mistake in the draft and free agency and end up firing KOC? Then the organization falls in even farther behind because we have to hire a new front office corp and start all over again.

I ask this question because I truly think we've been spoiled in our times as Jazz fans with the success we've had (even though we've never won any championships). I also think that every organization goes into the rebuilding process thinking that it is two or three years away from succeeding. However, sometimes this doesn't work, especially when you have Kahn running your organization, and you continually make mistakes that hinder the progress of the franchise. What then?

We are spoiled by KOC. Yes, he may not be the best GM in the world, but he knows how to put a plan into action.

2009-2010 squad: 50+ win team
Williams
Matthews
Kirilenko
Boozer
Okur

6-9th men: Millsap, CJ Miles, Korver, Brewer

First half of 2010-2011 (went 27-14 i think, on pace for 54 wins before mid-season slump + absence of HOF coach and head PG)
Williams
Bell
A less effective Kirilenko
Millsap
Jefferson

Bench notables: CJ Miles, Earl Watson, Ronnie Price (played well in the first few months), Gordon Hayward.

Current squad, before two lottery picks (assuming Miles and Kirilenko are picked up)
Devon Harris: not a huge downgrade from Williams + plays well with Hayward; still a 3pt threat and finishes well in traffic
Gordon Hayward: who is eeeeons better than Bell
SF position is semi vacant: either we place trust in Miles or Kirilenko, or Hayward is moved to the 3 to make room for a drafted SG; or a player is singed/traded from another team; lastly, Millsap might switch to SF
Derrick Favors
Al Jefferson, who started to increase his offensive output during the latter half of the season, averaging 24 and 11 after the allstar break.

Bench: Potentially Millsap, lottery picks from draft, hopefully earl watson, okur, kirilenko and miles.

I feel like we have all lost our faith in the current lineup with the Jazz, and aren't giving them an opportunity to truely show their potential in a new season, under a new coach (and likely altered system) with the pressures of starting of well now absent. From our current sqaud clearly our biggest absence is the SF position if we think Al Jefferson can hold is ground. If we acquire a solid shooting, defensive SF from either the trade or the free agency, our team is definitely in a MUCH better position than teams like the Clippers and the Wolves. In fact, wed probably even have a very good crack at making the playoffs the next year if Al Jefferson becomes our 20/10 guy (which is not a longshot by any means), Devin Harris becomes familiar with the flex-offense, Hayward and Favors develop further and we draft very well. In fact, depending on how we draft, we could even become WCF contenders. I certainly think we are in an extremely good position to rebuild with a decent core, 4 lottery picks in a two year span (two of which have been very good picks) AND possessing one of the biggest 6th man/trading chips in the NBA, Paul Millsap. If we get picks 6 and 12, and say, pick Brandon Knight and Chris Singleton that leaves us with both an extremely good PG rotation and the accurate, defensive SF we so desperately need. Wheres the kool-aid?

I don't see it resting on this year. The draft is weak and I don't see a ton of talent outside of maybe 5 guys. Lets hope that the jazz either make a move for one of the top 2 this year or make a move to get picks next year!

Williams
Matthews
Kirilenko
Boozer
Okur

First half of 2010-2011 (went 27-14 i think, on pace for 54 wins before mid-season slump + absence of HOF coach and head PG)
Williams
Bell
Millsap
Jefferson

Bench notables: CJ Miles, Earl Watson, Ronnie Price (played well in the first few months), Gordon Hayward.

Current squad, before two lottery picks (assuming Miles and Kirilenko are picked up)
Devon Harris: not a huge downgrade from Williams + plays well with Hayward; still a 3pt threat and finishes well in traffic
SF position is semi vacant: either we place trust in Miles or Kirilenko, or Hayward is moved to the 3 to make room for a drafted SG; or a player is singed/traded from another team; lastly, Millsap might switch to SF
Derrick Favors
Al Jefferson, who started to increase his offensive output during the latter half of the season, averaging 24 and 11 after the allstar break.

Bench: Potentially Millsap, lottery picks from draft, hopefully earl watson, okur, kirilenko and miles.

I feel like we have all lost our faith in the current lineup with the Jazz, and aren't giving them an opportunity to truely show their potential in a new season, under a new coach (and likely altered system) with the pressures of starting of well now absent. From our current sqaud clearly our biggest absence is the SF position if we think Al Jefferson can hold is ground. If we acquire a solid shooting, defensive SF from either the trade or the free agency, our team is definitely in a MUCH better position than teams like the Clippers and the Wolves. In fact, wed probably even have a very good crack at making the playoffs the next year if Al Jefferson becomes our 20/10 guy (which is not a longshot by any means), Devin Harris becomes familiar with the flex-offense, Hayward and Favors develop further and we draft very well. In fact, depending on how we draft, we could even become WCF contenders. I certainly think we are in an extremely good position to rebuild with a decent core, 4 lottery picks in a two year span (two of which have been very good picks) AND possessing one of the biggest 6th man/trading chips in the NBA, Paul Millsap. If we get picks 6 and 12, and say, pick Brandon Knight and Chris Singleton that leaves us with both an extremely good PG rotation and the accurate, defensive SF we so desperately need. Wheres the kool-aid?

Good post and here is your rep.

What if we draft Jimmer #6?
What if we can never wear headbands?
What if Greg is the owner until he dies, and he lives to be 100?
What if Sloan returns?
What if Malone is never apart of the coaching staff?
What if Ty Corbin gets a 5 year deal?
What if Favors never leaves his hotel room for 3 years?
What if the Heat win 5 titles in a row?
What if Memo gets another extension?
What if Collins comes back?
What if Palin becomes President?
What if Jazzfanz closes down?
What if my buzz ends?

Are you kidding? There are over 3000 posts in the Draft Thread and we haven't even made it to the Lottery yet. I think people would be just fine.

Williams
Matthews
Kirilenko
Boozer
Okur

Williams
Bell
Millsap
Jefferson

Derrick Favors

i like your overall optimism but this statement is plainly wrong.

there is day and night between williams and harris. don't get me wrong, i think we did ok out of that trade but history says to me that anytime you trade a superstar and don't get one back, you lose the trade.

the best we can do is reload with some young talent (we'll need a bit more luck with the draft than we're accustomed to!) and be smart about which veteran players we bring in to help ease the short term pain (eg. raja was not a smart choice).

there is day and night between williams and harris. don't get me wrong, i think we did ok out of that trade but history says to me that anytime you trade a superstar and don't get one back, you lose the trade.

I agree with that, and agree that Harris is not too close to Williams' equal. I still think Favors could be as good as Deron, though. And who knows what the #6 pick could turn into. (Could still turn into the #1 pick, for example.)

OK, I'll try.

What if we draft Jimmer #6?
What if we can never wear headbands?
The Jazz will
What if Greg is the owner until he dies, and he lives to be 100?
What if Sloan returns?
What if Malone is never apart of the coaching staff?
What if Ty Corbin gets a 5 year deal?
What if Favors never leaves his hotel room for 3 years?
What if the Heat win 5 titles in a row?
What if Memo gets another extension?
What if Collins comes back?
What if Palin becomes President?
What if Jazzfanz closes down?
What if my buzz ends?

Nevermind. I'm not witty enough for this.

the best we can do is reload with some young talent (we'll need a bit more luck with the draft than we're accustomed to!) and be smart about which veteran players we bring in to help ease the short term pain (eg. raja was not a smart choice).

3 years ago Devin Harris averaged 21 and 7, not too far off of the league MVP this year. Again, im not putting him and DWill on the same level but it has been a very long time since Harris has been sorrounded with this much talent in a team. Seeing as we have Favors as a very likely Allstar in the future, a former all-star in Devin Harris whos style of play blends perfectly with a potential ball-dominating Hayward AND potentially a great draft pick, Id say we probably didnt come out too bad after all. As someone said earlier, if we draft really well the DWill trade will be looked back as highway robbery. Im personally all for giving Devin Harris a chance, he has a good demeanor, hes a smart guy and he could work really well for this Jazz team. Too many people are pessimistic regarding what he can bring to the table, so I figured id stand up for him. Give Harris, Sap and Jefferson a year to mesh, if it doesnt work then oh well we have 2 more lottery picks and we can blow up our core at that point. I just think we have really good pieces, and are 1 starter and 1-2 good bench players away from being a seriously good team.