What is Wrong with Donovan?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Eenie-Meenie, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    4.5 free throw attempts per game is not “getting to the rim” like even close to an elite player.

J-mac23 likes this.
  2. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    He's not getting the calls. You watching the games? Stats don't tell the whole story.

3. homeytennis

homeytennis Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    If you look at his shooting percentages this year, he is shooting about the same as Bojan, Clarkson, Mudiay, Royce and Niang from various points. Could it be that Quin is putting too much on him?

4. Wes Mantooth

Jul 14, 2015
    Ah. Donnie doesn’t get the calls but everyone else in the league does. Got it.

J-mac23 and dakidmas like this.
  5. sahlensguy

sahlensguy Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2010
    His leadership in the lockeroom might not just be what it looks like when in front of the camera.

The strength of the team, is the team...when Rubio was here.

You don't hear that anymore.

When the ball sticks to him at the end of halves/games, and he doesn't deliver/leaves too much time on the clock, there might be a little resentment from the team.

The strength of the team isn't what it was last year and DM looks like he's putting it on his shoulders and it's wearing him down.

J-mac23 and mellow like this.
  6. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    I don't know about the other guys, but it seems you breathe on Harden and he gets the call. I've seen DM get hit several times on a drive and not get a call. I'm sure others on the site will agree.

In any case, he definitely has not been his normal self lately. To say he's not that good doesn't explain why he has not been as good.

7. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    What's funny is that faith in his drives has gone down every year since his rookie year. Ask me this at the end of his rookie year and the answer is absolutely yes. Now it's a frustrated shrug. It sucks.

He reinvented himself as a midrange shooter rather than a dynamic driver who breaks down the D.

8. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    That’s because his rookie year he was Rick Vaughn in Major League. Since the media hype, his sophomore and junior years have been more like Rick Vaughn in Major League 2. He just needs to discover himself as Rick Vaughn at the end of Major League 2.

I dare anyone to find a better comparison.

Ostertag>Duncan likes this.
  9. sahlensguy

Nov 10, 2010
    Did this begin to happen after the breakdown video by Kobe?

Wes Mantooth likes this.
  10. sahlensguy

Nov 10, 2010
    When Kobe put out his Detail video during DM's rookie season, we were tied with Houston 1-1. We lost the next three games and bowed out with Donovan shooting 36% from the field and forgetting how to drive. The magic he had prior to the video hasn't exactly been duplicated.

11. Jingled

Jingled Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

May 23, 2018
    This is what I'm seeing as well. Ever since it was announced that he made the all star team he's been pressing and forcing shots.

J-mac23 likes this.
  12. carolinajazz

carolinajazz Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    He's watched and played too much "hip hop" ball and it's going to take some time to get it out of his system and play smart basketball instead!

Wes Mantooth likes this.
  13. yamers

yamers Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Lol there is a part where kobe says go right through capella and draw the foul...

Problem is the refs more often times dont call that

14. Lakers_Slapper

Lakers_Slapper Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    He's in his 3rd year and he's 23 years old. To say he will "never be" this or that, is ridiculous. It all depends on his work ethic during and in the off-season. There are a lot of players in NBA past that never hit their prime until they were 30. Outside of that, most don't hit their prime until they're 28. Why would you write off a players capabilities when only 2 years ago, they couldn't even legally drink.

15. Wes Mantooth

Jul 14, 2015
    I say it because he has not improved in any noticeable way in the 2.5 years he’s been in the league. People might say he has except the advanced data doesn’t back that up.

16. UtahJazz32

UtahJazz32 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I see that you are still racist. What if Rubio was black ?

17. UtahJazz32

UtahJazz32 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    all y'all are reading too much into this.

Thee jazz fan likes this.
  18. sahlensguy

Nov 10, 2010
    He's not on the same trajectory as he was on in his rookie year though and definitely not since the Kobe video.

Alot has went to his head imo.

But he's only what 24?

It's still early, but man he's not turning into D Wade yet.

19. LogGrad98

Jul 7, 2010
    I think the difference between his rookie year and now is 2 things. 1) his rookie year had zero expectations and he was just playing loose and free, doing what came naturally. His drives were dynamic, not forced, and fluid. Witness the spin move that's now basically nonexistent. He was a master of the euro-step, I would even say pioneer, and now it's basically gone. He's playing more methodically now, and as a result more woodenly, almost as if the dynamic nature has been coached out of him. We don't see his athleticism as much either. Used to have several jaw-dropping moves and plays each half if not each quarter. Now it's maybe a few times a game. Where did that go? Did he work to hard on getting strong and lose the dynamic nature of his play along the way?

And 2) he was playing like he was having fun. I don't see that in him much any more. He's more serious, seems to be forcing the issue more and more, and more often than not showing tightness in his face rather than the trademark grin.

I don't know how you fix these things. But I think both of them are holding him back.

Ostertag>Duncan and sahlensguy like this.
  20. LogGrad98

Jul 7, 2010
    Another thing was in his rookie year he had an almost uncanny ability to finish at the rim around and over much bigger and more defenders with English off the backboard at impossible angles. He was a master of using English and angles to get the ball to drop. Now as often as not it will clang off the backboard and rim. Not sure what happened with this either.

I'm sure part of the change is teams game planning more effectively around him, but I also think part of it is him trying to force things rather than playing loose and taking what they give him, part of it is probably coaching, and part of it might be the pressure to be the top guy getting to him.

I don't know but his stats are moderately better but I'd say his play is not really any better.

Ostertag>Duncan likes this.