What's new

What Spurs Fans Think of The Big Line up

As long as we don't have cj or bell we have the element of surprise. We need to learn to beat teams around and play physical though.

I think the key to the series is going to be Harris staying in front of TP and force him to make shots. A tall order, but if we let Parker get into the lane and we're going with our big line-up they will destroy us with those corner 3's when Millsap or Jefferson collapse to help. TP can hit that 18 foot jumper, but I'd rather have him taking that than dishing into the corners with Bonner, Leonard, Jackson, etc.

Ummmm I only read the first few posts but they had some valid points and didn't seem all that arrogant. That being said I think the Spurs are the team that our big lineup matches up best with.

Ummmm I only read the first few posts but they had some valid points and didn't seem all that arrogant. That being said I think the Spurs are the team that our big lineup matches up best with.

Soem of the best stuff is further in. A joke about Mormons, ****, sweeping...you know. The usual.

does anyone want to stop for a second and consider that they might be right? no single lineup that includes millsap at the 3 is in our top 20 in minutes played... which means the sample size is so small that there's no accounting for a broad range of variables that can affect the success -- not the least of which is opponent quality. the fact that it worked against orlando-sans-dwight, portland-sans-aldridge, phoenix-sans-frye and other such teams does not mean it will work against a talented, hungry, healthy and super-intelligent spurs team.

I was suprised at the number of well thought out comments. What I dont think many of them understand is that Jefferson is a good man defender against slow players. Duncan is now a guy he can defend. They also think that just because milsap and favors are big, that they are slow. They are not slow and they get out on the brake well. Against the suns utah broke up the pick and role mostly by taking away the penatration and busting up the outside passing lane. And since the spurs run a similar offense this can work wonders if jefferson can single cover duncan.

I do worry about Favors fouls against a crafty team, we saw that against the suns. I cant beleive they didnt give themselves wiplash with all the fakes going on. And the refs fell for a lot of it. Also on Favors, his is not in condition to go really heavy minutes. I noticed this on the late dunk attempt in the suns game.

Hayword on Manu worries me alot. burks even more so.

While I'd expect Spurs fans to be confident, I'm still a bit suprised with how high their confidence level is in handling a bigger lineup considering that they are only 1 year removed from getting bounced by an 8 seed all because they couldn't handle the Gasol/Randolph tandem. What has SA done with their lineup since then to remedy those problems?

They dismiss Favors too easily. One of the first posters cited him as an "offensive liability" when the Jazz go big. Strange logic considering that the big lineup has been our most effective lineup all season offensively as well as defensively. I think the biggest reason he's not a liability on offense is that you don't need to feed him the ball. Even with Favors in the game, teams still throw the double team at big Al. That frees up Favors for offensive rebounds and put-backs. What is San Antonio going to do differently in that regard? If their answer is playing Big Al straight up, I think that's a huge + for the Jazz. Love Al or hate him, he is extremely effective in the low post without a double team.

I hope defensively Utah plays Duncan 1-on-1. At this point in his career, I feel better about making him the focal point all game long. We've seen San Antonio kill us over and over again from the perimeter. It will happen yet again if Ty doesn't change his philosiphy. Play Duncan straight up, and then turn around and make him play defense in the post all night long. Don't leave Manu, Stephen Jackson, or any of their shooters.

Tim Duncan is an all-time great but I don't think he can put a team on his back and carry them through a playoff series like he used to.

Soem of the best stuff is further in. A joke about Mormons, ****, sweeping...you know. The usual.

Well they do consistently kick the **** out of the Jazz so any arrogant posts probably have a pretty good chance of coming to fruition. Which would make them not really arrogant. Just playing devils advocate, not sure why though.

I say we win a game or two. I think Manu is going to cause us major problems, and when we try and lock down on him, their other guys will hit threes and we will unravel. Although we have a decent bench, the Spurs have a great bench. Our bigs will be our strong point - Millsap will fill up the stat sheets and will play smart, and I feel Al will play well. I think GH will do well also, but I don't know about Harris or Carroll. Favors and Tinsley will be our best bench players. And I think we'll truly see what Burks is made of during this series.

Tim Duncan is an all-time great but I don't think he can put a team on his back and carry them through a playoff series like he used to.

I do think he will be able to draw a foul on almost every possession if we try and guard him one on one. Which would make our big lineup really small really quick.

Well they do consistently kick the **** out of the Jazz so any arrogant posts probably have a pretty good chance of coming to fruition. Which would make them not really arrogant. Just playing devils advocate, not sure why though.

Which is why my first post says they sound like run of the mill fans. You have thoughtful posters, arrogant schmucks, hopless believers...

I understand them saying Jefferson and Sap are undersized for their respective positions, but calling Favors undersized is laughable. Also, part of the big lineup is that they play big down low, not just height.

Also, I've been waiting to get approved for Spurstalk for 2 weeks now. Registered my screen name as Jazzfanz69.

LOL.

I love how they keep convincing themselves that Milsap is too slow and not mobile enough to guard the 3.

Also, one moron thinks they can counter our big lineup by putting Bonner on Favors...ROTFLMAO!

Bonner on Favors isn't that bad. Favors isn't good enough to really exploit matchups on a consistent basis yet plus Bonner proves troublesome for anyone to guard and keeps Favors out of the paint to wreak havoc on layups.

Blue, since you ask why we are so down. The Spurs have owned the Jazz the last decade especially in SA. I think we might have won twice or once there since their new Arena was build. Our record in SA is similar to the Clippers in the ESA/Delta Center. The Spurs have proven they can beat us at home so the Jazz most likely will have to win two games in SA. Not going to happen. The Jazz have never had an answer for Duncan, Gino, or Parker. They have killed us with their 3 pt shooting. Their coach is a Hall of Fame coach while ours is basically a rookie coach. The Spurs are the number one seed while the Jazz are 8th. Spurs won the season series with the only Jazz win was when the big three didn't play.

Of course in sports upsets happen, but if you are being objective there is little reason to think the Jazz can win the series. I am not saying the Jazz can't win but the chances are slim.

Favors is an athletic freak - Bonner is not. Besides, I'm more excited to see what Favors does without the ball (defense, blocks, rebounds). Big Al isn't a good help defender - Millsap is pretty decent and Favors is pretty good and I think he'll someday be an awesome help defender.

and lol at the Spurs fan who called Favors undersized. Not only is he wrong, but Utah has been feeding Favors the same magic beans the Pacers used on Paul George....

THe Jazz are need to get MAX performance from everyone to win this series. They can't have two or three guys play well and everyone else suck. Our bench needs to play well and the Jazz need Favors/Hayward to be big and they need AJ/Millsap/Harris to play the way they have for the past month. Spurs need to shoot poorly too.