What's new

What upgrades are needed to make us a contender?

I don't see the fun lasting much longer without getting more usage for Sexton
Sexton brings a lot of energy to the field, but he often kinda reverts to doing his own thing and doesnt play within the system as well as Conley.

Conley + Sexton on the other hand is an undersized combo, which is not ideal on either end.

Sexton brings a lot of energy to the field, but he often kinda reverts to doing his own thing and doesnt play within the system as well as Conley.

Conley + Sexton on the other hand is an undersized combo, which is not ideal on either end.
Kinda wonder if the Jazz will trade Conley if they get a decent offer and then move JC into Conley’s current role and Beasley into the starting lineup - with Agbaji moving up the food chain and adding Conley’s minutes.

Sexton is perfect in the 6th man role at this point. Why so concerned that a bench player is too small?
He's averaging 3 rebounds a night which is pretty good for a smaller guard too.
He was a 40% catch and shoot 3 pt shooter coming into this season but obviously his shot hasn't started to fall yet.

I'd love to find a bigger PG to eventually replace Conley though. As much as I love Conley he's 35.

Something needs to be done with the broadcasts. They are so terrible with 3 announcers. It's clunky, awkward and cringey, and I'm finding it harder and harder to watch. They need to go back to two announcers ASAP.

Well it's clear we need a Center. I believe Myles Turner can be had.
No point buying what you need now. Better to focus on getting what you need later. They should absolutely focus on getting players that fit Lauri’s timeline. That’ll be the best window for this team.

No point buying what you need now. Better to focus on getting what you need later. They should absolutely focus on getting players that fit Lauri’s timeline. That’ll be the best window for this team.
Agreed as much as I like Lauri, I'll go so far to say the future #1 franchise player likely isn't on the roster yet.

I wouldn't be buying stopgap pieces to fit the Conley or Olynyk timeline.

Something needs to be done with the broadcasts. They are so terrible with 3 announcers. It's clunky, awkward and cringey, and I'm finding it harder and harder to watch. They need to go back to two announcers ASAP.
Boler needs to go… he was so confused and wrong about basic basketball things last night. Was awesome when he declared we’d get two shots and the ball for the foul that occurred before the ball was unbounded. Which isn’t the rule and was the incorrect diagnoses… and everyone just let it go.

My favorite other thing is when they try to make up nicknames on the fly and it sounds like coming up with names for dogs and being like “let’s name him spot since he has a spot on him” or “ let’s name him brownie cuz he’s brown.”

I listen to the opposing team broadcast roughly half the time.

We need a #1 and likely a number #2… if Lauri is your third best player you can be a contender… at very least you need someone better than him and one more guy on his level.

Boler needs to go… he was so confused and wrong about basic basketball things last night. Was awesome when he declared we’d get two shots and the ball for the foul that occurred before the ball was unbounded. Which isn’t the rule and was the incorrect diagnoses… and everyone just let it go.

My favorite other thing is when they try to make up nicknames on the fly and it sounds like coming up with names for dogs and being like “let’s name him spot since he has a spot on him” or “ let’s name him brownie cuz he’s brown.”

I listen to the opposing team broadcast roughly half the time.
I asked this in another thread but has he had a medical issue or something, maybe a small stroke? He is a lot like my dad was after his minor stroke, slurring words a tiny bit, kind of off on his observations, can't put thoughts together right. Nothing crazy, not like he lost half his body or something, but just some little things that remind you he had a stroke. Seriously makes me think of that.

We need a #1 and likely a number #2… if Lauri is your third best player you can be a contender… at very least you need someone better than him and one more guy on his level.
I think Lauri could be the #2 with the right #1. Especially considering his age he is likely going to get better.

I think Lauri could be the #2 with the right #1. Especially considering his age he is likely going to get better.
Agreed. Guys like Middleton, Siakam have won championships as the #2. Even Wiggins was basically the #2 for Golden State last season.

Jazz need their Giannis/Kawhi/Embiid/Doncic/Curry/Jokic/Tatum/Booker/Butler type clear cut #1 option. As much fun as I'm having watching this year's Jazz you still need a top 10 guy to realistically win a championship in this league. Ainge seemed to find a way to acquire a few of those guys when he was running the Celtics so I have confidence he will do it here too.

Hard to determine all that from little playing time in Utah imo. He is not really reverting so much as I see it as much as, not being creditted for the looks he is making that don't show up in the box.
I have seen several on the money high level passes that were not converted by his teammates. He also has made a few that were. Give him some more usage or trade him. No sense in doing anything in moderation with a contract like that. Either let him earn it or F him

Agreed. Guys like Middleton, Siakam have won championships as the #2. Even Wiggins was basically the #2 for Golden State last season.

Jazz need their Giannis/Kawhi/Embiid/Doncic/Curry/Jokic/Tatum/Booker/Butler type clear cut #1 option. As much fun as I'm having watching this year's Jazz you still need a top 10 guy to realistically win a championship in this league. Ainge seemed to find a way to acquire a few of those guys when he was running the Celtics so I have confidence he will do it here too.
God not the Doncic type though. I feel like even one Doncic in the league is too much at times. At times meaning whenever I have to watch him play.

I like admiring his box scores though. Wish he would produce those numbers in some other way.

That’s just it… Lauri not quite on that Middleton/Pascal level… those teams either have super duper stars or in Torontos case a hobbled super duper star and a handful of guys close to Pascals/Middleton’s level in Kyle Lowry, Jrue, FVV…

The pieces we need are the top end pieces… not that we can’t hunt for smaller pieces that can fit later but the idea that we currently can tweak or add some stuff to become contenders is off/premature.

That’s just it… Lauri not quite on that Middleton/Pascal level… those teams either have super duper stars or in Torontos case a hobbled super duper star and a handful of guys close to Pascals/Middleton’s level in Kyle Lowry, Jrue, FVV…

The pieces we need are the top end pieces… not that we can’t hunt for smaller pieces that can fit later but the idea that we currently can tweak or add some stuff to become contenders is off/premature.
Lauri is without a doubt on that #2 level.

Hard to determine all that from little playing time in Utah imo. He is not really reverting so much as I see it as much as, not being creditted for the looks he is making that don't show up in the box.
I have seen several on the money high level passes that were not converted by his teammates. He also has made a few that were. Give him some more usage or trade him. No sense in doing anything in moderation with a contract like that. Either let him earn it or F him
I merely said he doesnt play within the system as well as Conley. I think that is pretty obvious to see based on almost 25 minutes per game in 15 games.

My problem is we dont have anyone who can spell Conley without breaking the style that has gained us 10 wins. It was better early season when JC was looking around more.