What's new

What upgrades are needed to make us a contender?

Don’t they both have basketball iq’s of rocks? I’ve heard that criticism of both of them before.

He was supposed to be smart and mobile, gifted off the dribble and on face-ups, but he’s never shown much of that in the pros. In reality, he’s a pretty good shooter and that’s about it. A decent rebounder, an ineffectual defender. He’s got no midrange game. His playmaking is almost nonexistent. He occasionally makes an effort to finish strong at the rim but isn’t very, well, strong.

Here is some analysis about Markkanen in Chicago which is completely and utterly hilarious now.

Those are the guys we should target. The guys who have problems on bad teams. Underutilized or not being used properly.

We don’t want this negativity and non-sense around here right now. I’m all seriousness I think someone like PJ Washington is who we should target. Another guy who fits that mold is Rui Hachimura.
By all means go get a piece or two… be the team that swipes Jarrett Allen in the three team deal. I’m not super high on Rui but I’d buy at the right price.

Deni
PJ Washington
Jaylen Nowell
Naz Reid- suggested by Cy earlier to give credit.
Gary Trent
Patrick Williams in Bulls get impatient

Basically buy low on **** that could be helpful or self high for draft capital is what I’d do.

By all means go get a piece or two… be the team that swipes Jarrett Allen in the three team deal. I’m not super high on Rui but I’d buy at the right price.

Deni
PJ Washington
Jaylen Nowell
Naz Reid- suggested by Cy earlier to give credit.
Gary Trent
Patrick Williams in Bulls get impatient

Basically buy low on **** that could be helpful or self high for draft capital is what I’d do.

Solid list but not sure why Toronto trades Trent Jr. The others are definitely plausible. I prefer Rui to Deni but I like both.

Yeah Gay for Morris is a long shot and depends on the "something something" part, but we don't want to give up too much. Maybe something could entice them, who knows,

I would take Gay for Crowder trade straight up. Actually I can't see why this isn't a real topic of conversation right now as it makes sense for both sides really.

@Tony Jones any info on a possible trade to move Gay, any rumblings going on?
Just seeing where Phoenix are back in active trade talks regarding Crowder due to the fact that Cam Johnson is injured and Crowder is still sitting out. They apparently turned down an offer from Milwaukee for Grayson Allen (ironic), and have stipulated they want a forward in the deal. I think maybe Gay and Azubuike might be enough to get it done straight up.

Just seeing where Phoenix are back in active trade talks regarding Crowder due to the fact that Cam Johnson is injured and Crowder is still sitting out. They apparently turned down an offer from Milwaukee for Grayson Allen (ironic), and have stipulated they want a forward in the deal. I think maybe Gay and Azubuike might be enough to get it done straight up.

Yeah they will definitely want a win-now piece. Not sure Gay fits that. Maybe with Doke, or 2nds or something.

Last edited:
Solid list but not sure why Toronto trades Trent Jr. The others are definitely plausible. I prefer Rui to Deni but I like both.
It would have to be a cost control thing. They have to give FVV a raise this offseason most likely... Pascal likely locks into a new max and Trent has a PO he will opt out of to either lock in long term money at the same amount or get a slight raise maybe? They might be totally willing to go way into the tax but i could see Trent being the budget cut.

OG also gets a raise after next year and Scottie Barnes will be due an extension... so giving Trent long term money at 20M may be seen as troublesome. The group has deep pockets so it may not be an issue at all. The deal would be centered around Trent Jr. and Beasley imo... with us adding stuff.

I just see him as a guy who may have another half step in his development maybe... there aren't a lot of guys in that age range I think could be available. We could also target him with a FA overpay deal and I could see him bouncing if he thinks he has more opportunity to grow in Utah.

My favorite underused player target. Jonathan Isaac of the Magic. Great defender, shoots well. Buried behind the number one pick.

My favorite underused player target. Jonathan Isaac of the Magic. Great defender, shoots well. Buried behind the number one pick.

Sure who doesn’t like Isaac? Only problem is that he’s yet to return from ACL surgery and he makes 17 a year.
He has been out for two full years. I'd buy low if there was an opportunity but there is a chance his body never holds up. He isn't a good shooter but could be a DPOY level defender.

It would have to be a cost control thing. They have to give FVV a raise this offseason most likely... Pascal likely locks into a new max and Trent has a PO he will opt out of to either lock in long term money at the same amount or get a slight raise maybe? They might be totally willing to go way into the tax but i could see Trent being the budget cut.

OG also gets a raise after next year and Scottie Barnes will be due an extension... so giving Trent long term money at 20M may be seen as troublesome. The group has deep pockets so it may not be an issue at all. The deal would be centered around Trent Jr. and Beasley imo... with us adding stuff.

I just see him as a guy who may have another half step in his development maybe... there aren't a lot of guys in that age range I think could be available. We could also target him with a FA overpay deal and I could see him bouncing if he thinks he has more opportunity to grow in Utah.

That actually is a good point. You’re right.

That actually is a good point. You’re right.
They may have to choose between OG, FVV, Trent Jr. long term. They could just end up paying a **** ton of tax and keep it all together. I think they end up being the KD trade team or doing another semi large move.

If we like Trent we could also just wait until free agency and put up a big offer. I'm not high enough on him to go too crazy but he's in that upper tier of young guy that I could see us targeting.

They may have to choose between OG, FVV, Trent Jr. long term. They could just end up paying a **** ton of tax and keep it all together. I think they end up being the KD trade team or doing another semi large move.

If we like Trent we could also just wait until free agency and put up a big offer. I'm not high enough on him to go too crazy but he's in that upper tier of young guy that I could see us targeting.
I like Trent but I'm not sure he is actually that big of an upgrade over Beasley.

I like Trent but I'm not sure he is actually that big of an upgrade over Beasley.
I'm not either... which is why it'd have to be a specific situation where we get a decent buy low price. I think that's why there could be a deal. I'm not sold either way. He's also got a player option on his deal so he can just opt out. I think he is better and he's a couple years younger... so maybe he has a Lauri like late jump in his development (he also might have hit his ceiling).

Like if they wanted Beasley and a first then they can take a walk. I'm just throwing **** against the wall really.

Here is some analysis about Markkanen in Chicago which is completely and utterly hilarious now.

Those are the guys we should target. The guys who have problems on bad teams. Underutilized or not being used properly.

That synopsis focused in primarily on his skill and what didn’t show in Chicago. It mentioned he was supposed to be smart but that doesn’t imply he’s dumb either. Just that he hadn’t shown to be very smart in some Chris Paul type of way. There’s a difference between that and Rui who from what I’d heard doesn’t understand the game and is dumb as doornails.

Maybe not in trade this year... but in FA the younger guys to target would be:

- Grant Williams - he's annoying but good. Boston has a major cap crunch and I think someone gets wild with an offer for Williams.
- Cam Johnson - Phoenix is notoriously cheap... think they should have done this one early... though Cam's injury complicates this.
- PJ Washington - I might like the idea of Washington more than the actual player... but he'd be a good get.
- Gary Trent Jr.
- Rui - not a big fan but I get it.
- Kuzma - will opt out... not sure Wiz want to pay him what he could get.
- Hart - Blazers get expensive if they keep Grant.

Get one good signing like the ones above... make one slight trade upgrade.... nail a pick or two. Then we can talk contender status.

Yeah Gay for Morris is a long shot and depends on the "something something" part, but we don't want to give up too much. Maybe something could entice them, who knows,

I would take Gay for Crowder trade straight up. Actually I can't see why this isn't a real topic of conversation right now as it makes sense for both sides really.

@Tony Jones any info on a possible trade to move Gay, any rumblings going on?

I mean the sticking point Crowder has in Phoenix is that he isn't starting. He won't start here either.

Maybe not in trade this year... but in FA the younger guys to target would be:

- Grant Williams - he's annoying but good. Boston has a major cap crunch and I think someone gets wild with an offer for Williams.
- Cam Johnson - Phoenix is notoriously cheap... think they should have done this one early... though Cam's injury complicates this.
- PJ Washington - I might like the idea of Washington more than the actual player... but he'd be a good get.
- Gary Trent Jr.
- Rui - not a big fan but I get it.
- Kuzma - will opt out... not sure Wiz want to pay him what he could get.
- Hart - Blazers get expensive if they keep Grant.

Get one good signing like the ones above... make one slight trade upgrade.... nail a pick or two. Then we can talk contender status.
I thought Cam Johnson is Phoenixes up and coming crown jewel. Are they really open to trading him or is this just a wishlist?

Sure who doesn’t like Isaac? Only problem is that he’s yet to return from ACL surgery and he makes 17 a year.
And he sounds like a bit of a head case. I'm not very fond of going after an anti-vaxer. Had it been just the vaccine, that might be just fine, but it feels like he's a guy who might not glue all that well.