What's new

What upgrades are needed to make us a contender?

I do think Indiana might just be willing to roll with Turner for now. They traditionally do not tank. I want to find buy low opportunities.

I think he wants to leave. If he tells them he won't resign, they ought to move him.

The key to a trade situation like this is doing the under the table stuff. Turner can kinda force his way to a certain team with extension talks. Some team might want him, but he can tell the team he doesn't want to play for that he won't sign if he has eyes for another team. I don't know if UTA is "feel good" enough to the point where players are forcing their way here....but I do think you could make a compelling pitch to Turner's agent that UTA is where he will become the best player he can be. If the Jazz aren't that team now, they need to keep developing Lauri's and become that team.

I don't have a good feel for what a contract looks for Turner. Bigs are going to have a tougher time getting paid going forward, but there's also the cap jump coming. I don't know if cap smoothing is in the plans. It feels like he should fall into the range where his extension money can start, but I could be totally off base. Feels like a $20-$25 a year type player.

I think we look for a buy low trade on an upcoming restricted FA at the deadline. I think we sell off a vet if we get a good deal... say Phoenix or Milwaukee give up a first (or more) for KO/JC/Vando. I hope we haven't fallen in love too much that we aren't willing to do something opportunistic.

I still think there is a minor chance someone offers something wild for Lauri. Dallas/Miami I could see offering the 3 firsts+ that makes you think real hard. Likely only consider it if its a big price and we level off a bit providing an opportunity to tank.

I think we look for a buy low trade on an upcoming restricted FA at the deadline. I think we sell off a vet if we get a good deal... say Phoenix or Milwaukee give up a first (or more) for KO/JC/Vando. I hope we haven't fallen in love too much that we aren't willing to do something opportunistic.

I still think there is a minor chance someone offers something wild for Lauri. Dallas/Miami I could see offering the 3 firsts+ that makes you think real hard. Likely only consider it if its a big price and we level off a bit providing an opportunity to tank.
Ainge traded IT. He gives no ****s about love.

I think he wants to leave. If he tells them he won't resign, they ought to move him.

The key to a trade situation like this is doing the under the table stuff. Turner can kinda force his way to a certain team with extension talks. Some team might want him, but he can tell the team he doesn't want to play for that he won't sign if he has eyes for another team. I don't know if UTA is "feel good" enough to the point where players are forcing their way here....but I do think you could make a compelling pitch to Turner's agent that UTA is where he will become the best player he can be. If the Jazz aren't that team now, they need to keep developing Lauri's and become that team.

I don't have a good feel for what a contract looks for Turner. Bigs are going to have a tougher time getting paid going forward, but there's also the cap jump coming. I don't know if cap smoothing is in the plans. It feels like he should fall into the range where his extension money can start, but I could be totally off base. Feels like a $20-$25 a year type player.
I think he may view Utah as a lateral move... but maybe with a better record. Maybe a change of scenery is enough. I bet he waits out FA thinking he will get a big offer from LA or can work a sign and trade with another team to get where he wants. He's young and while centers aren't getting paid like they did before... I think being viewed as a unicorn (kinda) will help his case.

I think he is likely gone but not sure they get an offer so good they move him. Its weird to me they didn't do one LA pick for Hield and Turner... I don't think Buddy is some great asset. Turner feels like 1 pick is plenty.

It's kind of wild, but the Jazz are actually in a really good position to tank. The league is very strong right now and a lot of teams are winning. We won't be able to get a bottom 3 record, but a bottom 5 is still realistic if you make moves when everyone comes trade eligible.

Ainge traded IT. He gives no ****s about love.
Prolly true... though that was for a deal he thought he was winning a title with. Ryan also would have some input.

I was just listening to Tim Mcmahon talk about Dallas getting the second guy around Luka... and I don't think 3 firsts gets you a Donovan level style superstar and I don't see the next guy that comes on the market (maybe AD?)... and I was just thinking... man Lauri is basically perfect to play alongside him and fit their defensive scheme.

Dallas picks are less valuable than Miami picks imo... If Luka is playing and healthy that's a top 4-5 seed every year. I don't know if I would do it... but I doubt they do better than a guy like Lauri with their picks.

I'm just spitballing here yall... don't get mad. Not saying I would or we should trade Lauri... just saying I think some offers could get really rich.

I think it is quite the opposite. We likely can only win about 10-15 more games to end up in the bottom-4. We have such a large lead already over Houston/Detroit/Los Angeles/Orlando/Charlotte etc.

We would probably have to trade Conley, Clarkson, and Lauri to be that bad to drop to the bottom-4.
I don't think the goal would be the bottom 4. It would be the bottom 8. That gives you a chance to still move up in the lottery while still being in a sweet spot in this draft.

It's kind of wild, but the Jazz are actually in a really good position to tank. The league is very strong right now and a lot of teams are winning. We won't be able to get a bottom 3 record, but a bottom 5 is still realistic if you make moves when everyone comes trade eligible.
Yep. As of now I think the rockets and probably the Pistons are locked in the bottom 5 but the rest could change pretty quickly. The hornets just got Melo back and if they can get somewhat healthy actually have a pretty solid team. The same goes for the magic in about a month when they start getting guys back. They have a ton of talent in street clothes right now in Fultz, Anthony, Harris and Isaac. Then of course the Lakers have no incentive to tank at all.

I kinda like this idea

Trade

Beasley
Olynyk
THT
a couple of firsts

For

Hield
Turner

Conley, Sexton, Bolmaro
Clarkson, Hield (Could be swapped), NAW
Vanderbilt, Fonticchico, Agbaji
Markkanen, Gay
Turner, Kessler, DOke

I hate giving up Olynyk but that is a sexy team. Hields shooting will compliment sextons driving.
That is really bad. Beasley and THT have similar value to Hield for me and there is no way I am giving up 2 first for a soon to be free agent in Turner.

One buy low candidate I'm still interested in is John Collins. He's having a really bad year. His usage has tanked, and his three ball has been awful....but that's why it's a buy low opportunity.

Prior to the season, I thought Collins was capable of doing what Lauri is doing right now. I'm still on Collins island. It would be fantastic to have two Lauri's.

One buy low candidate I'm still interested in is John Collins. He's having a really bad year. His usage has tanked, and his three ball has been awful....but that's why it's a buy low opportunity.

Prior to the season, I thought Collins was capable of doing what Lauri is doing right now. I'm still on Collins island. It would be fantastic to have two Lauri's.
If the price is right he would be a decent guy to look at. At this point though I would definitely prefer a breakdown trade rather than a building trade. Then in the offseason look into Collins if he still looks like a buy low candidate.

Yep. As of now I think the rockets and probably the Pistons are locked in the bottom 5 but the rest could change pretty quickly. The hornets just got Melo back and if they can get somewhat healthy actually have a pretty solid team. The same goes for the magic in about a month when they start getting guys back. They have a ton of talent in street clothes right now in Fultz, Anthony, Harris and Isaac. Then of course the Lakers have no incentive to tank at all.
I think 6/7 is as far as we can get and it would require trades and/or injuries. Even then a well coached group of middling players will win some games by playing hard. Our schedule should also be easier.

I'm not even sure what two Lauri's would look like... he does seem to be pretty miserable there. If he really was on Lauri's level you get him and figure it out.

No thanks to Collins.

If you are adding more PF types they need to be more versatile than Collins, either offensively or defensively (ideally both).

I also worry about a 4 who has gotten worse consistently despite playing with two of the best playmakers in the NBA.

I'm not even sure what two Lauri's would look like... he does seem to be pretty miserable there. If he really was on Lauri's level you get him and figure it out.

I think Lauri has a much better attitude....he sacrificed a lot and got a lot better in CLE whereas Collins is seemingly unwilling to do the same. But I think Collins is even more naturally talented. He's worth a shot, and if he keeps being miserable ATL might just want the salary relief.

He is extension eligible though I am not sure he will sign one... would start at 21.5M per year. We likely aren't getting him in FA and he is a flight risk for sure. I am not sure I'd do it either but I think that offer is fair. At very least you've cleaned the cap a bit if he bails you can sign someone else maybe.
If we know the Cavs pick was late maybe, but we don't yet. I think someone else sends Pacers better players back though anyway.