What's new

What will it take to move into the top 3?

d@!!0n0rcutt

To move up in this draft I believe the Utah Jazz have the right assets to do so, but my question is according to Dennis Lindsey, who would be the perfect 'partner'? Since 2012-13 season ended when Mr. Lindsey and company decided that they weren't going to bring back Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Maurice Williams, and Randy Foye, is when they went into 'asset accumulation mode'. Around the end of the 2013-14 season Lindsey and Walt Perrin have been quoted on saying they are looking to draft a franchise or all star type player in this years draft, but I am going to focus on how they would maneuver their way to move up in the 2014 draft to draft a 'FRANCHISE' type player, and I'm sure most of you agree those most sure fire players that will be franchise type players are Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, I don't include Joel Embiid because a big with back problems is a very serious red flag and not as sure fire as Wiggins and Parker, also I don't include Dante Exum because he is just a very big unknown at this point. But I believe Wiggins and Parker are worth the price to pay to acquire their services, and I literally meaning if you have to sell the farm to do so, that's what Jazz executives have to be willing to do and still may not be enough.

Those assets that we have to be willing to part with if we are to move up are as follows...

First, the draft picks the Jazz own in the 2014 draft are the 5th, 23rd, and 35th. I believe that if we trade our first round picks this year we can't trade back to back years in the same deal so the next first round picks we can include are 2016 and so on. Of which we could give up our first round draft pick to the 2016 draft or either one or both of the 2017 first rounders we have, one from Golden State. Let's not forget we have a boatload of 2nd round picks in the next few drafts from Golden State and Denver in the Iggy and Foye deals last offseason.

Second, I firmly believe none of us think that anyone on this roster is untouchable especially considering we are trying to acquire a franchise type player. So having said that, who are we able to trade, who do we have the rights to? Derrick Favors, Trey Burke, Enes Kanter, Alec Burks, Jeremy Evans, Rudy Gorbet, Ante Tomic, and Raul Neto. So one or a couple of these youngsters are going to have to be included in the deal, I imagine.

Last, another asset we have that many teams do not is, cap space. Like I have said over and over again if we are wanting to move up and draft that franchise type player then we may have to take back a bad contract in order to get to where we as Jazz fans and organization want to get and that's not borderline playoff team or a bunch of first round exits of the playoffs, but a championship caliber team and you don't do that without having a very special player, which Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker are the closest sure fire thing in this draft. I have included screen shots via hoops hype of what each team in the top 3 salaries look like and give you an idea of which players we would have to take back in a draft day deal.

ujabetaz.jpg

Cleveland Cavaliers, looks like the only contract that they may want to dump is maybe Jarrett Jack, but he does provide relief if Irving goes down and a scoring punch off the bench so he is probably a little more valuable then just wanting to salary dump. But they are rumored to want to draft Embiid anyways and he is a total Cavs pick because they love to make the stupid moves sometimes. Also, side note and maybe a reason they would want to be that 'partner' is they were rumored to be interested in Enes Kanter in the draft they surprised everyone and took the 2nd big on their big board in Tristan Thompson to pair with Kyrie Irving in that draft.

So maybe a combination of a few draft picks like the 5th, 23rd, 35th in 2014, and either our 2016 or 2017 first rounder or the Warriors 2017 first rounder with Enes Kanter may get it done.

jagy4ury.jpg

Milwaukee Bucks, are more interesting because they have players they may want to salary dump in Larry Sanders, Ersan Ilyasova, and O.J. Mayo. This may be intriguing offer and may make the Bucks that 'partner'! Now if the Jazz FO wants to get the guy they want, in the fear of, that Cleveland or Milwaukee may take their guy the first two picks may be where they want to be if they want Wiggins or Parker but I imagine they will have a good idea on draft day which each team is doing, that's their job. So they may be willing to be able to make a lesser deal to move up to the 3rd spot.

ymydejut.jpg

Philadelphia 76ers, don't really have any players I see them wanting to cash dump but maybe Thaddeous Young or Eric Maynor I could see. Now we remember at trade deadline Philly traded a lot of their talent so maybe they're that 'partner' because they want the acquire a lot of talent in this draft and as we all agree and have heard Lindsey say maybe not directly but hint that the Jazz may not want to bring in 3 more rookies on this already young team, but maybe the 76ers do so they can start building their talent back up because they had a lot of D-League players on their team last season to end the season, so maybe this is where multiple draft picks is more valuable to them.

Thoughts? It may be hard to move up in this draft but I feel like we have more options than a lot of teams do to actually move up. I really think if Lindsey and co. can't move up in this draft they will just trade the pick not back to acquire more picks in this draft but a veteran and maybe more picks in the future.

1000 more wishful threads like this one, or perhaps Trey Burk and a guarantee to take the guy with the bad back, Danet Bust , going 4, and watching whoever he rest of us want going to the other team at 5.

That would almost cap off the worst season ever.

I didn't realize that the #1 pick gets $5 million dollar contract. Bennett must be a happy man.

I personally don't think we have the assets to get to 3. I really don't. I hope I'm wrong. Many on this board think it's absurd to think we couldn't easily move up with our assets. I'm not convinced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally don't think we have the assets to get to 3. I really don't. I hope I'm wrong. Many on this board think it's absurd to think we couldn't easily move up with our assets. I'm not convinced.

It absolutely is absurd to think we don't have the assets to move up. We HAVE the assets to do in there is no question about it good young players and lots of draft picks are the exact assets needed. The question is would we be willing to sell the farm to move up? I don't think so.

This is what I picked up from the post.

CJ Miles is off the Cavs books and is an unrestricted FA? How much should we offer?

Cavs, Bucks, Sixers all need franchise type players to win games and more importantly sell tickets.
Doubt any of them trade these picks.
Cavs need to redeem themselves after the Bennett disaster also.
Jazz don't have to trade the #5 pick.
One or more of the players left on the board will be an all star caliber player.
Jazz just need to figure out who that is.

Lot of work by the OP.
Just one minor correction. We CAN trade #1 picks in consecutive seasons. All it requires is that both teams draft a player in the current year, then trade the "rights" to that player instead of the actual draft position. It's a technicality, but a reason you don't usually hear news of trades until the second team has completed their pick.

Cavs, Bucks, Sixers all need franchise type players to win games and more importantly sell tickets.
Doubt any of them trade these picks.
Cavs need to redeem themselves after the Bennett disaster also.
Jazz don't have to trade the #5 pick.
One or more of the players left on the board will be an all star caliber player.
Jazz just need to figure out who that is.

It could be argued in teh reverse, as well. Cavs, Bucks, Sixers and Orlando need multiple players to improve. so they can drop just a few spots, still get an all-star player at #5 AND get other assets (some combination of the #23, next year's 1st rounder or a young player like Enes or Alec).

Top three seems pretty locked to me. First we overrate the draft class then we keep on believing that a bunch of unproven young players will be chips to get to the highest level?