What's new

What Would You Do if You Won $100,000,000?

The guys on my shift and I regularly get in on the big power ball draws, so this is a topic of regular discussion in the office. The consensus from the guys is generally never having to sit in a room with me for 8 hours again is the way forward. (people are ****ing unkind)

Its interesting that some of the guys are like i'll never work again and others (myself included) take the view that they'd need to do something.

I like the point about getting back to nature makes people happy. I spent 8 weeks on my land in Tassie last year and it was great, I'm living about a ten minute walk from the CBD now and I find the concrete jungle of my block of flats alienating.

In general, if you're not content with what you have now, you won't be content with what you have later.

In some ways, that's a good thing, in most ways, it's a bad thing.

A bigger house, better car, fancier things, it won't make you happier. Eventually you get used to it, and there's always somebody with more.

I’ll speak for me here. My house here in NJ would sell for 600K. In SLC I assume I’d get a lesser house. I’ve looked at real estate there and it’s expensive. Not NYC expensive but damn expensive. So why would I want a 2-4M house there? I mean, my home here is on a solid 1/2 acre but the house is almost 50 years old and has issues. Mostly the basement. You can’t understand it if you don’t live it, but these sump pumps and the basement suck. In the ten years we’ve lived here, we’ve probably spent around $15,000 on the new French drain, new sump pumps, or snaking the lines. That’s more than a mortgage payment a year. And because of these issues, I can’t finish the basement. Lest I want to risk 50-100K of mold issues developing. So that’s where my mind is. That, and that I’d like more land for the kids to roam and explore and that I’d obviously like upgrades (new siding-mine is original, bigger house with bigger rooms...just new...not 50 years old. I mean, we’ve redone the kitchen and bathrooms but still. In our town, what I’d like would probably run us $950,000 to 1.2M. It’s a big upgrade but nothing insane based off of what we have now and the fact that we’d have won 100M. In SLC that would be even more.

On top of that, real estate is just smart. Obviously we could be buying at the peak of the market but long-term, it’s a fairly safe and prosperous investment.

One thing that I didn’t mention that I’d love to do is start my own nonprofit. It’s a retirement dream of mine. Start one where 100% of the donations go to charity. Not 30% or 60% or 90%. 100%. With 100% transparency. That’s important to me.

I remember one article saying that what really affects people's level of happiness in long term is moving to live closer to the nature.

I read a study that zookeepers are happier and have higher job satisfaction than most other people ...so buy a zoo?

Seriously now. Isn't it interesting that humans are social creatures yet activities that take a person away from lots of people tend to lead to more happiness.

I read a study that zookeepers are happier and have higher job satisfaction than most other people ...so buy a zoo?

Seriously now. Isn't it interesting that humans are social creatures yet activities that take a person away from lots of people tend to lead to more happiness.
Animals are an excellent outlet for social interaction. That’s not an intra-species phenomenon.

That's way too much money. But I'll take $10 million, please.

Nice home in St George. Second home in Portland area. Buy a nice truck, a ski boat and houseboat on lake Powell. Then I'd golf a lot.

I’ll speak for me here. My house here in NJ would sell for 600K. In SLC I assume I’d get a lesser house. I’ve looked at real estate there and it’s expensive. Not NYC expensive but damn expensive. So why would I want a 2-4M house there? I mean, my home here is on a solid 1/2 acre but the house is almost 50 years old and has issues. Mostly the basement. You can’t understand it if you don’t live it, but these sump pumps and the basement suck. In the ten years we’ve lived here, we’ve probably spent around $15,000 on the new French drain, new sump pumps, or snaking the lines. That’s more than a mortgage payment a year. And because of these issues, I can’t finish the basement. Lest I want to risk 50-100K of mold issues developing. So that’s where my mind is. That, and that I’d like more land for the kids to roam and explore and that I’d obviously like upgrades (new siding-mine is original, bigger house with bigger rooms...just new...not 50 years old. I mean, we’ve redone the kitchen and bathrooms but still. In our town, what I’d like would probably run us $950,000 to 1.2M. It’s a big upgrade but nothing insane based off of what we have now and the fact that we’d have won 100M. In SLC that would be even more.

On top of that, real estate is just smart. Obviously we could be buying at the peak of the market but long-term, it’s a fairly safe and prosperous investment.

One thing that I didn’t mention that I’d love to do is start my own nonprofit. It’s a retirement dream of mine. Start one where 100% of the donations go to charity. Not 30% or 60% or 90%. 100%. With 100% transparency. That’s important to me.

No helipad? ****ing amateur, no class ****ers like you don't deserve money.

I remember Ms SERP and I looked at about 5-10 homes about four years ago. This one we went to was nice. End of the street. 2.5 acres that backed up against woods...could see houses through the maybe 50 feet of trees too so it’s not like more development could happen. Had a killer pool area with an outdoor tv and seating area under a gazebo. His driveway had the best half court I’ve ever seen set up with all lines a real court has. Not just the free throw line and three pointer. Everything. Looked professionally done. And behind the gated pool he had three holes of chip n putt golf on what was about 1.5 of the 2.5 acres. That part didn’t look so well done. Nevertheless. Really cool.

I remember Ms SERP and I looked at about 5-10 homes about four years ago. This one we went to was nice. End of the street. 2.5 acres that backed up against woods...could see houses through the maybe 50 feet of trees too so it’s not like more development could happen. Had a killer pool area with an outdoor tv and seating area under a gazebo. His driveway had the best half court I’ve ever seen set up with all lines a real court has. Not just the free throw line and three pointer. Everything. Looked professionally done. And behind the gated pool he had three holes of chip n putt golf on what was about 1.5 of the 2.5 acres. That part didn’t look so well done. Nevertheless. Really cool.
Really cool story

For a forum like this, how is it that Wes is the only one that mentions actually WANTING to buy Jazz season tickets?
It's an obligation. HH hit it on the head. Just buy courtside tickets to the game you want to see. My dad and his business have been buying like quarter season tickets the past couple years. It always ends up with "hey, I've got a couple tickets to tonight's game." I'm a huge plan-ahead guy and usually that's just a lot of stress. Obviously, if you're not working and have little else, then sure, maybe get season tickets.

Family

Buy my parents kidneys (legal to do in Iran)
hire them a full-time nurse/carer
build them a house suitable for their care needs
Establish trusts for the children of my friends and family.

Property

Invest 40 to 50 million in property, some owned outright, some mortgaged to maximise tax concessions. Should provide me with a monthly income of around 150k

For me

Buy a spacious 4 bedroom home in the inner city with a back yard 2-3 mil.
Buy a rural property 3-400 acres probs 4 mil

Work

I can't be bone idle, (I'll drink myself to death) So that in mind I'll need a hobby job, also a job that I can employ my friends in, all of my closest friends come from a hospitality background so with that in mind.

Buy a warehouse somewhere in the city, convert to a craft brewery, art/performance space, pub and community activism space. Look into the prospect of buying and doing the same, in Sydney, Brisbane and maybe Adelaide. Establish a touring company to bring acts out to play those venues.

Interests outside of that

Travel the world with Mrs Rubashov.
Wait you're a guy?

Huh.