What's new

What Would You Do if You Won $100,000,000?

I actually like my current house.

1. I’d finish landscaping it. I really want a gas fire pit, hot tub, and water feature. In real life only 2/3 of those are realistic to put in in the next year.

2. I’d get a place up in Park City or Kamas. I’m not big into nightlife but I love escaping the pollution of the valley and get to the crisp air of the mountains. I love kamas as it acts as a jumping pad to Mirror Lake. I’ve never made it to Christmas Meadows but it’s definitely on the list. I’d probably buy a warm weather place, I love San Diego.

3. Seeing so many of you talk about wyoming reminds me of how much I love the Jackson area. I’m good living in Wilson, Alpine, or Jackson. The grand tetons is the most naturally beautiful place I’ve ever seen.

4. I’d get a better camera and become a pro photographer. I love landscapes and wildlife. I’d also get a top of the line smoker and pay to learn how to make the most delicious beef brisket.

5. I’d travel with the wife. I don’t have much interest in Asia. I’d love to focus on Europe. We went to London last year and really loved it. Wish we could’ve spent a month there.

6. Put a good chunk of it to scholarships, education, and health care. Seeing thousands of Utahns without health care and/or homeless is sad.

7. Pay someone to beat up Michael Jordan since The Last Dance has reminded me why I hated the Bulls so much more than Kobe and the Lakers or Lebron and the Heat. Joking (mostly) of course. I don’t condone physical violence on the biggest D bag the world has ever seen.

For real, buy a pit Barrel smoker. They're like $300, and incredibly easy to make brisket over charcoal. So good. I highly recommend, such better flavor than a Traeger.

An '82 fastback SR5 Corolla was my 1st car. A truly good looking Corolla inside and out. Built like a tin can though. Reliable but it was no match for the rust belt conditions where I drove it.

1. Buy land here on the Oregon coast, get an architect & builder and all that and get the house going. (Actually, a big house and a bunch of surrounding tiny houses for visitors.)
2. Pay off my parents' houses, and my brother and brother-in-law's houses. Buy a duplex in Salt Lake for my niece and nephew, or maybe a whole apartment building and have them manage it, so it isn't just a gift.
3. While the house is being built, travel. Decide if we want to get a 2nd and/or 3rd residence, but mostly travel a bunch. See some plays, etc.
4. Open a small coffee shop/book store. Mostly to share what I love, maybe add a cinepub on. Also, I learned a lesson from an old boss of mine. He made a couple of million with an invention, took a few years off, and then got a job again, because he needed to keep busy to stop spending money.

1. Buy land here on the Oregon coast, get an architect & builder and all that and get the house going. (Actually, a big house and a bunch of surrounding tiny houses for visitors.)
2. Pay off my parents' houses, and my brother and brother-in-law's houses. Buy a duplex in Salt Lake for my niece and nephew, or maybe a whole apartment building and have them manage it, so it isn't just a gift.
3. While the house is being built, travel. Decide if we want to get a 2nd and/or 3rd residence, but mostly travel a bunch. See some plays, etc.
4. Open a small coffee shop/book store. Mostly to share what I love, maybe add a cinepub on. Also, I learned a lesson from an old boss of mine. He made a couple of million with an invention, took a few years off, and then got a job again, because he needed to keep busy to stop spending money.

Not a cent in it for me hey? Prick.

Create a scholarship foundation for my kids, nieces, nephews, and their descendents. A separate foundation for investing in businesses, and one for taking care of my kids who aren't able to work productively.

Quit the day job. As much as I love to teach, Wes is probably right, so I might quit the night job.

Publish a board game or two.

Set aside for retirement.

Donate within the local communities, especially East St. Louis.

Buy Jazzfanz and ban all the asshats.

I'd also completely restore my 65 pony. Probably buy a few more and have them restored as well.

Last edited:
same **** im doing rn. Nothing typifies the american dream like some old fool sitting on his porch sippin budweiser hoping to hit the lotto.

I understand a lot of people suggesting they would quit their jobs, but I'm not sure I personally would be happy with that life. If I quit my job, it would only be to open my own small business. There are some seriously rich and miserable people out there, who lack a sense of purpose.

I would donate to a local Boys & Girls Club.
I'd like to start some sort of foundation for young entrepreneurs.
I'd pay off all my family member's mortgages (or buy them a modest home).
Similar to OneBrow, I'd like to get involved in the board game industry. Try to design or publish a board game.

A friend of mine benefited from some type of trust that his grandparents set up before they died. They basically have a portfolio that future generations can borrow from to buy a home, interest free (repayment over 15 years). I'd like to set up something like that for my family.

Dumping that much even into a CD-like interest rate at 2.5% nets you an additional $2.5m a year. You wouldn't even need to touch your nest egg.

I would stop working my job just to cut down on stress, but would need to start taking up some hobbies to not get bored. Would dedicate myself more to exercise and lose some stubborn pounds. Would do some travelling and some nice checks to charity. Trusts for the kids to keep them honest but well-set up for their kids and grandkids.

I wouldn't buy a lot of toys - a cabin somewhere around Bear Lake maybe, some jetskis. I don't want extravagant cars as they'll just attract attention from teenagers who will key them just to say they keyed a Lambo. Maybe buy an Acura or Audi or a Honda Pilot for the wife.

And season tickets for the Jazz as close as I can get.

This does beg the question though if anyone on the forum would ever want to do shared Powerball tickets and we could all split fortunes.

If I won the lottery and suddenly had $100M (after taxes, etc.) I would:

1. First thing I would do is hire a personal assistant. There are going to be a lot of things to arrange (lawyers, realtors, employee interviews, vacations, security adviser, financial manager, charitable contributions, etc.) and having someone to handle all the hassle would let me enjoy those experiences.

2. Next I would hire employees to help me free up my time from the stuff I don't enjoy (Maid, grounds keeper, personal trainer, part-time cook).

3. I would of course make real-estate purchases for me to enjoy:
1) Nice house in Cache Valley (love that place and would spend ~$1M)
2) apartment by SLC temple for when I want to come to the city for Jazz games, flights, concerts, Christmas lights, etc. (~$2M)
3) 1,000+ acres in the mountains for hunting/fishing and to set up a nature preserve for approved public use ($5M-$20M, including a trust for maintenance).

4. At some point I would set up trust for my posterity with earnings distributed as follows:
25% reinvested in the trust.
25% available to any of my descendants for mental health counseling and student loans with interest equal to inflation (capped at some amount). Failure to repay student loans would result in loss of eligibility for descendants from the person who failed to pay.
50% to be shared equally among any of my children that are contributing to society and not bring shame on the family (no sleeping with the maid, serious crimes, etc.). After all my children have died, these earnings are included with the self-improvement portion of earnings (mental health & student loans).

5. Find a charity or cause that I can dedicate my time to. My wife last night said she would love to oversee an organization to help pregnant teens who would like to give their child for adoption. She would provide medical care, room & board, and help the girls through the adoption process. She also thought it would be important to help the girls graduate high school and place them in good jobs.

6. I wouldn't give ANY money to family, but every year I would invite the entire extended family on a nice vacation (Disney land, Beach house, Cruise, etc.). Thinking about it, I would probably offer to pay for my niece's/nephew's college (as long as they didn't do anything to piss me off like drive drunk or cheer for Lakers).

7. I would do things with the kids. Walk the Appalachian trail, sail the Mediterranean for a month on in an actual sail boat, hunt men in New Ginnea... you know, family time!

If I won the lottery and suddenly had $100M (after taxes, etc.) I would:

1. First thing I would do is hire a personal assistant. There are going to be a lot of things to arrange (lawyers, realtors, employee interviews, vacations, security adviser, financial manager, charitable contributions, etc.) and having someone to handle all the hassle would let me enjoy those experiences.

2. Next I would hire employees to help me free up my time from the stuff I don't enjoy (Maid, grounds keeper, personal trainer, part-time cook).

3. I would of course make real-estate purchases for me to enjoy:
1) Nice house in Cache Valley (love that place and would spend ~$1M)
2) apartment by SLC temple for when I want to come to the city for Jazz games, flights, concerts, Christmas lights, etc. (~$2M)
3) 1,000+ acres in the mountains for hunting/fishing and to set up a nature preserve for approved public use ($5M-$20M, including a trust for maintenance).

4. At some point I would set up trust for my posterity with earnings distributed as follows:
25% reinvested in the trust.
25% available to any of my descendants for mental health counseling and student loans with interest equal to inflation (capped at some amount). Failure to repay student loans would result in loss of eligibility for descendants from the person who failed to pay.
50% to be shared equally among any of my children that are contributing to society and not bring shame on the family (no sleeping with the maid, serious crimes, etc.). After all my children have died, these earnings are included with the self-improvement portion of earnings (mental health & student loans).

5. Find a charity or cause that I can dedicate my time to. My wife last night said she would love to oversee an organization to help pregnant teens who would like to give their child for adoption. She would provide medical care, room & board, and help the girls through the adoption process. She also thought it would be important to help the girls graduate high school and place them in good jobs.

6. I wouldn't give ANY money to family, but every year I would invite the entire extended family on a nice vacation (Disney land, Beach house, Cruise, etc.). Thinking about it, I would probably offer to pay for my niece's/nephew's college (as long as they didn't do anything to piss me off like drive drunk or cheer for Lakers).

7. I would do things with the kids. Walk the Appalachian trail, sail the Mediterranean for a month on in an actual sail boat, hunt men in New Ginnea... you know, family time!

This is something I've thought about. I heard of an NBA player that sent everyone in his family a check when he hit it big. Basically said "here is some money... this is it... I've shared... don't ask me for nuthin… don't ask me to invest in nuthin" in nicer legal terms. I'd absolutely do something like that for brothers and sisters and my wife's family.

Breaking off a chunk for them with the caveat that I'm not investing or providing anything else is a nice way to take care of them. Essentially its a buyout.

I understand a lot of people suggesting they would quit their jobs, but I'm not sure I personally would be happy with that life. If I quit my job, it would only be to open my own small business. There are some seriously rich and miserable people out there, who lack a sense of purpose.

I would donate to a local Boys & Girls Club.
I'd like to start some sort of foundation for young entrepreneurs.
I'd pay off all my family member's mortgages (or buy them a modest home).
Similar to OneBrow, I'd like to get involved in the board game industry. Try to design or publish a board game.

A friend of mine benefited from some type of trust that his grandparents set up before they died. They basically have a portfolio that future generations can borrow from to buy a home, interest free (repayment over 15 years). I'd like to set up something like that for my family.

Like I said, I quit my job. I love what I do, but not enough to keep working. I recognize I’d need something to occupy myself. That’s why I’d “work” in some way to benefit society. Something philanthropic or humanitarian. With the caveat that I’m only there like two weeks a month or so. I guess it would be more along the lines of sitting on boards of a couple charities/foundations.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Funny thing is studies show that the declared level of happiness doesn't increase permanently after winning the lotto. There is euphoria at first but after some time it goes back to normal. I remember one article saying that what really affects people's level of happiness in long term is moving to live closer to the nature. But yeah, money plays role in that one too.

Funny thing is studies show that the declared level of happiness doesn't increase permanently after winning the lotto. There is euphoria at first but after some time it goes back to normal. I remember one article saying that what really affects people's level of happiness in long term is moving to live closer to the nature. But yeah, money plays role in that one too.

In general, if you're not content with what you have now, you won't be content with what you have later.

In some ways, that's a good thing, in most ways, it's a bad thing.

A bigger house, better car, fancier things, it won't make you happier. Eventually you get used to it, and there's always somebody with more.

This is something I've thought about. I heard of an NBA player that sent everyone in his family a check when he hit it big. Basically said "here is some money... this is it... I've shared... don't ask me for nuthin… don't ask me to invest in nuthin" in nicer legal terms. I'd absolutely do something like that for brothers and sisters and my wife's family.

Breaking off a chunk for them with the caveat that I'm not investing or providing anything else is a nice way to take care of them. Essentially its a buyout.
If one of my siblings won the lottery I wouldn't expect a dime. We all get along great and they aren't selfish at all, but it would be strange to get a hand out like that in our family and I would probably offend some of them pretty bad if I tried to give it to them. On the other hand, I am sure that if someone on my wife's family won they would give us at least $1M, but they would be offended if I didn't share with them after winning. It is what they think family should do.
This difference in family culture was the root of the first big fight me and the missus had in our marriage. Her dad offered to help us with $ while going to school, and I took it as him saying I wasn't man enough to take care of his daughter and he/she took me turning down the money as a rejection of their family. Thankfully we have all learned how to communicate better LOL

I’d definitely quit my job. Like, pronto. Most of my conscious hours are dedicated to other pursuits already, so I’m ****ing primed to strike it rich and live well. I just amp up what I’m already doing.

Initially, I’d put it all in very safe, low rate of return, investments. This is an unholy amount of money, and that yield is obviously more than enough.

The goal at first is to STOP thinking about money as much as possible. If I need a new tool or a tutor for a project I’m interested in, then obviously I acquire those things without hesitation. But the emphasis here is on unbridled learning.

Then, once my focus and perspective have become sufficiently unalloyed from money, maybe I discover within my batch of personal projects something that I’d like to scale up and include other people. So I’d build the infrastructure for that.

And I’d establish a scholarship fund with three separate awards: arts, science, and applied technical schooling. In addition, I’d be funding doctoral and/or post-doctoral research on the climate.

I’d get a nicer house. And I’d get a kick *** cabin.