What's new

What you sippin on?

I was waiting for a "Not any more" sort of answer, or at least a "hey.... am I?" Waking up sometimes doesn't immediately quash the dream.....

Hey wait..... what does Chocolate do to you? It's like. .. . like. . . . I've been up all night and I'm not tired yet. I think I overdosed.

I was waiting for a "Not any more" sort of answer, or at least a "hey.... am I?" Waking up sometimes doesn't immediately quash the dream.....

Hey wait..... what does Chocolate do to you? It's like. .. . like. . . . I've been up all night and I'm not tired yet. I think I overdosed.

Never married. And I'm highly caffeinated.

I finished some epoxy marble floor in the basement so started early for new years with some good local beers and getting ready for a couple pre-parties before going out.

Along with the usual champagne I picked up some Porter's Peach Whiskey to try. It is probably to sweet for me but I like to try anything local at least once.

download.jpg

I also grabbed a bunch of Mountain West Cider yesterday after I took a tour of the facility. They had a couple new ones in stock so I grabbed some of their new Stillwater Cider which is aged in High West barrels. It should be pretty good. Their ciders are much better than crap at the stores. It doesnt have a bunch of flavors or sugar added in, just real cider goodness. I also grabbed some of their Cottonwood cider which has hops added in. This one has been my favorite so far.

15590492_1614564372185835_3229751730451155878_n.jpg

I've got a failed batch of Imperial IPA on tap. Put more ingredients into this batch of beer than anything I've made before and got relatively poor(compared to what I normally get) mash efficiency and then poor attenuation. So what should have been >9%ABV came out to 7.4%. It might have been good, but it's very sweet. Oh well. I very rarely have flat out bad batches, this is the first one I've had in at least two years.

Besides that I have Pistol Porter (English porter) 4.7%abv on tap as well. That one turned out very well.

Why did this thread die?!

This is one of the greats.

Also, bring the gif thread @loggrad [MENTION=15]VINYLONE[/MENTION]

RIP ugli baby
<3

I'm sippin' on some YES

Last time I brewed before this batch was November. Now I have:

YES, 6.2%abv

and

Bulletproof Rye IPA, 6.8%abv

The Rye IPA is very light in color for a rye beer, which tend to be reddish. This one is light golden in color. It's not bad at all. I really like rye beers.

I have now made YES using the exact same recipe for I think five batches in a row. I think I'm done tweaking that recipe...but then I bought a RO system so now I will have to adjust to my new water. So I guess I'm not done. I started brewing in '09 and ESB was the first beer I made. It has been more than half the beer I've made since. Until recently I never used the same exact recipe for YES more than twice in a row, and when I did that it was because I made changes to my process and I was using that beer to gauge the effect the process change made.

I might never been done with tweaking the first beer style I ever made.

DSC_0223.jpg

Currently waiting on some beer to carb up after clearing out my keggerator for some deep cleaining. So I stopped by the local state run liquor store to buy some "high point" beer from my state government.

Pictured above from left to right):

Elysian - Superfuzz Blood Orange Pale 6.4%abv

Elysian - Space Dust IPA 8.2%abv

Shades of Pale - Slick City Citrus IPA 7%abv

Lagunitas - Aunt Sally Dry-Hopped Sweet Tart Sour Mash Ale 5.7%abv

Uinta - Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA 7.3%abv

Epic - Los Locos Mexican-style Lager with Lime and Sea Salt added 4.8%abv

Vernal Brewing Co. - .50 Caliber IPA 8.5%

I'll update this post as I try them.

Okay, I'm drinking the Los Locos now.

I was just going to go ahead and write my review based on my previous experience drinking this beer. It's available at Red Iguana and I've had it there a couple times from a 22oz bottle. Really enjoyed it there.

If I was judging it based on what I have in my glass right now it'd be a huge meh. Tastes watered-down. You've really got to look for the sea salt, can taste the lime but without the sea salt it's nothing special. Funny because it's the one beer the lady ringing me up mentioned. She really likes it. After she brought it up the other cashier asked if we were talking about the Los Locos, she liked it too, but she said someone she talked to said sometimes there's a lot of salt, sometimes not very much. Guess I got the can with not very much.

When I've had it before that first sip is surprising because you get a healthy dose of salt flavor and it is surprisingly enjoyable. Crisp and refreshing, really goes well with the complex spicy flavors of Red Iguana's menu.

Had 2.5 bottles of solid white wine last night. Grilled. Fire pit. Like that. Came into the house around 10:30 with my brother-in-law and my wife's sis, and I was ripped, loudly talking like Bane from TDKR. I don't remember anything after about 9:15. Some texts on my phone. The Bane ****. Good times.

Now trying the Uinta Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA. While the aroma is very reminiscent of tangerine I'd say the flavor is more like the pith of a tangerine. It's bitter in a way that's a little different for me than most IPAs are bitter. More like the bitter pith of citrus than hop bitterness. I've had this beer before and been perfectly happy with it, but when challenged to write my impression of it I can't say a lot of good. Not like it's undrinkable, but it is kind of harsh and certainly not juicy like a tangerine. Aroma wise, it's incredible. Putting it in your mouth wise, it's a little disappointing.

Okay, I'm drinking the Los Locos now.

I was just going to go ahead and write my review based on my previous experience drinking this beer. It's available at Red Iguana and I've had it there a couple times from a 22oz bottle. Really enjoyed it there.

If I was judging it based on what I have in my glass right now it'd be a huge meh. Tastes watered-down. You've really got to look for the sea salt, can taste the lime but without the sea salt it's nothing special. Funny because it's the one beer the lady ringing me up mentioned. She really likes it. After she brought it up the other cashier asked if we were talking about the Los Locos, she liked it too, but she said someone she talked to said sometimes there's a lot of salt, sometimes not very much. Guess I got the can with not very much.

When I've had it before that first sip is surprising because you get a healthy dose of salt flavor and it is surprisingly enjoyable. Crisp and refreshing, really goes well with the complex spicy flavors of Red Iguana's menu.

Clear your inbox, please.

Now trying the Uinta Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA. While the aroma is very reminiscent of tangerine I'd say the flavor is more like the pith of a tangerine. It's bitter in a way that's a little different for me than most IPAs are bitter. More like the bitter pith of citrus than hop bitterness. I've had this beer before and been perfectly happy with it, but when challenged to write my impression of it I can't say a lot of good. Not like it's undrinkable, but it is kind of harsh and certainly not juicy like a tangerine. Aroma wise, it's incredible. Putting it in your mouth wise, it's a little disappointing.

I'm hammered
Got my 2nd wind doe