What's new

What's JazzFanz's stance on Marriage Equality?

Xsy

I'll post my opinion eventually. If you know me well enough, you should know my stance already. I just wanna hear some opinions before I state mine.

I believe in freedom. They should be free to be as miserable as the rest of us.

If I were to give my honest opinion, it would be tltr. I'll just say that I think all human beings should be able to do anything they like so long as it doesn't hurt others.

If I were to give my honest opinion, it would be tltr. I'll just say that I think all human beings should be able to do anything they like so long as it doesn't hurt others.

You may as well just give us the long version. This will probably be another long-lasting thread.

Well where do you draw the line then? Like if a guy wants to get with some sheep, you okay with that? What about if a guy wants to marry his niece?

Slippery slope.

Well where do you draw the line then? Like if a guy wants to get with some sheep, you okay with that? What about if a guy wants to marry his niece?

Slippery slope.

Dude, people do worse **** to animals every day (slaughterhouses). I really don't care if some nutcase is having sex with sheep. If he wants to do it, you are probably aren't going to be able to stop him (assuming they are his sheep and he isn't trespassing in farms laying pipe).

As far as marrying relatives, again, as long as it is consensual on both sides I really don't care.

Marry anyone that can consent after 18 years of life.

This. Just because I think two cousins marrying each other is nasty doesn't mean that I have a right to stop them. If two hot Asian chicks want to tie the knot (and tongues) then by Gordon, they should be able to.

Civil Union.

See my earlier arguement.

Civil unions are all the state should be allowed to create. Marriage should be left to churches. If the LGBT community creates a church they can get married and it is no damn business of yours. Just as the marriages in your church are not damn business of theirs.

This forum is too difficult to get one's point across without seeming offensive when not meaning to be. I'm offensive on purpose all the time, but I hate to do it on accident.

So, for me personally, homosexuality is a choice, and one that everyone deserves the ability to make. God allows free will .. and that is AWESOME. However, He made specific covenants. One was in the Garden of Eden.
God took Adam's rib and made a helpmate. He gave two instructions. To cleave one unto another and to procreate.

Some may choose to ignore the covenant .. I've never had a problem with it. But somehow, it bothers me to have the president of our nation making something that is an abomination in the eyes of God a national platform for a re-election. Let me just say, I have no probs with the gay community and their choice .. this is about making it a voting strategy and my spirit feels sick over it ..

If I were gay, what I just posted would infuriate me .. it would be read as me being a total religious pharisee and snob .. I assure you I have NO hate, I just feel like we're defying too many of God's covenants and our country continues to turn our back on Him.

Ducking.

Civil Union.

"They can have Water, they just have to use that other drinking fountain."

Yeah, no. Equality or bust.

Civil unions are different from marriage, and that difference has wide-ranging implications that make the two institutions unequal. Here is a quick look at some of the most significant differences:

Portability:
Marriages are respected state to state for all purposes, but questions remain about how civil unions will
be treated in other states since very few states have civil unions.

Ending a Civil Union:
If you are married, you can get divorced in any state in which you are a resident. But if states continue to
disrespect civil unions, there is no way to end the relationship other than by establishing residency in a
state that respects the civil union.

Federal Benefits:
According to a 1997 GAO report, civil marriage brings with it at least 1,138 legal protections and
responsibilities from the federal government, including the right to take leave from work to care for afamily member, the right to sponsor a spouse for immigration purposes, and Social Security survivor
benefits that can make a difference between old age in poverty and old age in security. Civil unions bring
none of these critical legal protections.

Taxes & Public Benefits for the Family:
Because the federal government does not respect civil unions, a couple with a civil union will be in a kind
of limbo with regard to governmental functions performed by both state and federal governments, such as
taxation, pension protections, provision of insurance for families, and means-tested programs like
Medicaid. Even when states try to provide legal protections, they may be foreclosed from doing so in joint
federal/state programs.

Filling out forms:
Every day, we fill out forms that ask us whether we are married or single. People joined in a civil union
don’t fit into either category. People with civil unions should be able to identify themselves as a single
family unit, but misrepresenting oneself on official documents can be considered fraud and carries
potential serious criminal penalties.

Separate & Unequal -- Second-Class Status:
Even if there were no substantive differences in the way the law treated marriages and civil unions, the
fact that a civil union remains a separate status just for gay people represents real and powerful
inequality. We’ve been down this road before in this country and should not kid ourselves that a separate
institution just for gay people is a just solution here either. Our constitution requires legal equality for all.
Including gay and lesbian couples within existing marriage laws is the fairest and simplest thing to do.