What's new

What's JazzFanz's stance on Marriage Equality?

Ignorant and false. And stupid.

So you don't think some Christians feel that way? Notice how I said some, and not all.

I believe that group is smaller than the other Christians who don't care or actively support gay marriage.

So you don't think some Christians feel that way? Notice how I said some, and not all.

I believe that group is smaller than the other Christians who don't care or actively support gay marriage.

I think 'some' works for about anything. I'd say there are some Christians that don't even know how to make a stand for something and when something hits mainstream media and politics it gives them the ability to take a 'righteous' position. I, for one, believe every single one of us are sinners. I believe that me being a believer doesn't make me any better than the unbeliever. (great spot to accurately insert the word 'choice')

I don't think homosexuality is a greater sin than about any other .. I defend them, actually, quite regularly from those that are taking the position that, "It's sin!" They usually shut up pretty quick when I ask whether they have any sin on their own lives (all do).

^^ Having said that, I don't like the idea that God made a covenant that marriage was between a man and a woman .. and our country is looking to legalize what God called an abomination. That shouldn't offend anyone (that I, personally, feel that way), but I'm sure it will. (FWIW, I'm not offended that gays are fighting for their rights, even though I have a different stance.)

^^ Having said that, I don't like the idea that God made a covenant that marriage was between a man and a woman .. and our country is looking to legalize what God called an abomination. That shouldn't offend anyone (that I, personally, feel that way), but I'm sure it will. (FWIW, I'm not offended that gays are fighting for their rights, even though I have a different stance.)

If you, and you alone, were given the opportunity to decide if gay marriage was illegal in the U.S., what would you choose?

No, it shouldn't be illegal? Or no, it shouldn't be legal? (honest confusion lol)

I would not allow gay marriage, if up to me. I wouldn't try to disallow homosexuality or civil unions, but I would not vote for marriage.

I would not allow gay marriage, if up to me. I wouldn't try to disallow homosexuality or civil unions, but I would not vote for marriage.

So no religions at all could allow gay marriage? Am I understanding correctly?

I'll post my opinion eventually. If you know me well enough, you should know my stance already. I just wanna hear some opinions before I state mine.

All for it. If gays want to suffer marriage, who am I to prevent that.

States and feds should only be allowed to create "civil unions". Churches should make marriages. States get out of the marriage business. This applies to every human being.

Actually this is pretty much my opinion to the t.

You may know I'm not LDS, but I'm curious. If you believe the LDS have the right to not allow a temple marriage, with the reason being it contradicts their belief system, do they also have the right to fight against gay marriage in America .. as a fundamental necessity to help protect those things they believe in?

The real question is, do you think both sides should have equal rights to fight for what they believe to be right?

I wouldn't mind that they fought gay marriage if they would equally fight against atheist marriage, divorce, abortion, alcohol, etc.

The fact that they single gay marriage to the point where its becoming a national problem is a little ... awful.

So no religions at all could allow gay marriage? Am I understanding correctly?

What does alternative religions have to do with my answer? I see your angle on freedom of religion, but I'm answering with what I believe, since I am the subject of your query .. With the way I believe, I would not vote for legalizing gay marriage.

Look, we all have different beliefs and subscribe to different ways of thinking, I feel we're all entitled to believe the way we wish and fight for those beliefs .. I shared mine, but I don't think this thread should get derailed into a wwPKMd.

Why would PKM not allow gay marriage? From a non-religious standpoint?

Why would PKM not allow gay marriage? From a non-religious standpoint?

It is a religious standpoint for me (if I'm being technical, it's not religion, it's God). I was asking spycam why he asked me if no religions should be allowed to marry. But it is, for me, a spiritual thing. And I mean, Xsy, I got no problem with you at all .. I don't count myself a .000001% better person than you, and I mean that.

What does alternative religions have to do with my answer? I see your angle on freedom of religion, but I'm answering with what I believe, since I am the subject of your query .. With the way I believe, I would not vote for legalizing gay marriage.

Look, we all have different beliefs and subscribe to different ways of thinking, I feel we're all entitled to believe the way we wish and fight for those beliefs .. I shared mine, but I don't think this thread should get derailed into a wwPKMd.

I'm assuming your answer had something to do with religion...or else I'm not understanding why you would be against gay marriage, since your reasons are religious...

I guess my question comes down to what exactly is the difference between "marriage" and "civil union" to you? I was assuming ''marriage" had religious implications to you, but maybe I was mistaken?

I'm assuming your answer had something to do with religion...or else I'm not understanding why you would be against gay marriage, since your reasons are religious...

I guess my question comes down to what exactly is the difference between "marriage" and "civil union" to you? I was assuming ''marriage" had religious implications to you, but maybe I was mistaken?

I thought my case was clear. God made a man/woman covenant. I believe that is His intent and I fear Him (in the healthy way) more than I fear hurting someone's feelings.

I thought my case was clear. God made a man/woman covenant. I believe that is His intent and I fear Him (in the healthy way) more than I fear hurting someone's feelings.

No, I got that. But you say you're okay with gay civil-unions, just not gay marriage. So, I'm wondering what the difference in those terms is to you.

BTW, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm attacking you, or your beliefs in some way, I'm just honestly curious.

No, I got that. But you say you're okay with gay civil-unions, just not gay marriage. So, I'm wondering what the difference in those terms is to you.

BTW, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm attacking you, or your beliefs in some way, I'm just honestly curious.

In my way of understanding, civil unions are recognized by governement but marriages have been a ceremony by the ministry. I see it as being compassionate toward the sinner, versus mandating that the sin is no longer a sin.

That was archaic in delivery and void of political correctness, but I hope that answers your question.

It is a religious standpoint for me (if I'm being technical, it's not religion, it's God). I was asking spycam why he asked me if no religions should be allowed to marry. But it is, for me, a spiritual thing. And I mean, Xsy, I got no problem with you at all .. I don't count myself a .000001% better person than you, and I mean that.

First of all-- what? God = Religion. Like it or not.

Secondly-- I know! I know plenty of respectful people who just are against gay marriage based on morals. Hell, back when I was a homo in denial while hiding in the closet, I was even against gay marriage. I can see your respect, and I'm glad you're making sure I understand.

But its one thing to say "I don't count myself a .0000001% better than you" and then say "I don't believe you should have the right to get married to a person you love." By saying you're against same-sex marriage, you ARE saying you think you deserve better rights than other individuals.

Let's play the Hypothetical Game, shall we?

My hypothetical committed long-term partner makes a LOT of money. He's a doctor. We've been together 10 years. I stay at home and take care of my dead sister's kid and he brings home the bread. One day, hypothetical committed long-term partner is on his way home from the OR, and gets in a car accident. He doesn't have much time left to live. I can't go into the hospital and see him. I can't say goodbye when he dies. And when he passes away, all his money goes back to his family, and me and my kid are left cold in the streets.

Switching it up a bit, let's say I'm the one who gets in a car accident. We're going to pretend he's not so rich this time around. My operation is going to cost a lot of money, and he doesn't have it-- what he DOES have is AMAZING health insurance. The problem is, he can't use it on me, and I end up dead in the hospital. I would have made it if we had the stupid piece of paper that says "Yup, they're married."

There are just SO MANY instances of tragic stories like this, that ACTUALLY happen on a day-to-day basis. How can you possibly say that voting "No" against same-sex marriage is the more Christ-like option?

Minus the legality and formal stuff, is marriage is a spiritual-loving union under the "approval" of god? I'm not sure what people think, but is this why people fight so hard to fight protect the "sanctity" of marriage? There won't be any hate either way from me, but its hard to face the truth that laws and people will adapt to current trends (which is somewhat leaning towards gay marriage).