What's new

What's the argument for not patching a hole in the boat?

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
I'll start by talking about Mormons and food storage, even though that's a concept that's largely fallen off in the past decade. Some people prepare food storage with the idea in mind that this will sustain them in the event of some kind of apocalypse. So short of an apocalypse, this food sits on a shelf until it's expired and junk. Meanwhile, several financial hardships occur over the years and the food storage remains untouched "because then I'd be robbing from my supply." In short, the whole idea of food storage may be missed, because if you're waiting for the complete breakdown of society to access that food, it's probably going to be pointless at that juncture.

Now change gears to our current 5 spot dilemma. Spencer Checketts sums it up appropriately:

In contrast to this, though, Tony Jones is absolutely right: the Jazz aren't looking to sign anyone and they are rolling with who we've got. This has been our M.O. for a while, which has been fine because we have been in team-building phases.

When we traded for a 32 year old Conley and let half our team go last year, however, we pushed all the chips on the table and put ourselves in the position of no longer being in team-building mode, but contending mode. You can't lay all blame on one of many variables for the past two games, but you have to look at the controllable variables. If one or two variables would be stabilized, it puts us in a position to likely win both games. Teams lose games, and that's not an issue. It happens in an 82 game season. But when you have a spot that's so atrocious, then as a contending team it becomes unacceptable to roll with the idea of "we'll weather this storm, and if we lose a couple games, then so be it."

Now to the part about being drastic. Surely to some, emphasizing this sounds like one is yelling that the sky is falling. I'd go back to the food storage analogy. We've got 6 months worth of food storage. The kids have food to eat -- no need to panic, right? Of course we'll prioritize the kids eating. But we're going to have to hold off on sending Timmy to the dentist. Jane needs some new glasses, but damnit, we'll hunker down until this is over. No. No. We can't touch the food storage to free up money in the budget because we don't have the resources to replace it! What will we ever do when Yellowstone erupts and ash is covering the planet? What's your plan then?

We've got some guys at the end of the bench. Historically, teams would sign guys to 10-days to patch up leaks. We can't do that because of "flexibilty." We've got guys on the end of the bench who function as that "what if the zombie apocalypse comes and we need Stanton Kidd as a defender off the bench?"

What if Davis is out instead another month instead of 2 weeks? What if he gets injured again? What if Rudy gets injured? Last night, for the first time in franchise history, we played one rebounder. One. This isn't sustainable. If this costs us a couple games, that's not a small issue. It's cool if we're team building, but we're not. We sacrificed all our flexibility to contend the next two years. We need to act like it and protect that investment, rather than protecting a couple guys at the end of the bench who may need to be waived to bring in something of need now. The argument to keep them is the idea that there's a hypothetical need in the future. And we'd be neglecting our current tangible need to protect a future hypothetical need.

And Rudy's playing 36 minutes per game since Davis went down. By comparison, he played 31.8 last year.

TLDR... summary Tony Bradley sucks.

the problem is we have a hard time scrapping a prospect we have drafted. DL is a hoarder.
That's not even the only option, though. You could waive any of Kidd, NWG, or Niang.

But the whole NWG things chaps my ***, anyway. The argument for NWG over Neto is that Neto can only be counted on 50% of the time when you need him. The problem with this logic is that even though Neto is only available 50% of the time, you feel comfortable putting him in those situations. With NWG, he may be available 100% of the time, but you'll actually insert him into those scenarios 0% of the time, which makes the whole idea pointless.

We should either play Bradley and hope it works or we should cut Kidd and bring in a vet center.

Problem is sunk costs... we also picked up his option... we should have cut him and found a better option... instead we doubled down. I hated the pick... but I can understand if you got him in and said “look we thought he could develop or that he could shoot and clearly he can’t” and moved on after a couple years.

have JZ send DL on a vacation for a couple weeks and move both Dante and Bradley while he’s gone. Clean out his room while he’s gone.

The more consistent Mitchell, Conley and Bogdanovich get, the less it will matter.

The real issue with our team is that our offense is mucked up.
And they're not mutually exclusive. The question we have to ask ourselves is what we have to lose by getting a playable center. The answer to that question is someone like Kidd. The better question is what do we have to lose by not doing it? And the answer to that question is 'a few games.' That's not small potatoes.

And they're not mutually exclusive. The question we have to ask ourselves is what we have to lose by getting a playable center. The answer to that question is someone like Kidd. The better question is what do we have to lose by not doing it? And the answer to that question is 'a few games.' That's not small potatoes.
So who is your guy that we pickup for a couple weeks until Davis comes back?

Any names?

That's not even the only option, though. You could waive any of Kidd, NWG, or Niang.

But the whole NWG things chaps my ***, anyway. The argument for NWG over Neto is that Neto can only be counted on 50% of the time when you need him. The problem with this logic is that even though Neto is only available 50% of the time, you feel comfortable putting him in those situations. With NWG, he may be available 100% of the time, but you'll actually insert him into those scenarios 0% of the time, which makes the whole idea pointless.

I think NWG is playable... I don’t think we’ve needed him yet. Niang showed some promise last year but he’s likely at his ceiling and maybe has gotten worse. We don’t need Kidd and Oni and Exum if Mudiay is playable. We can keep Bradley if we really have to but what’s the point... Quin doesn’t trust him. Cut Kidd and sign a center that is playable.

So who is your guy that we pickup for a couple weeks until Davis comes back?

Any names?
Udoh, Noah, Bogut, Reed, Booker, Faried, Gortat, etc., etc., etc.

Even Jeff Withey on a couple 10-days is a huge boon.

From Locke. This is a pretty big hole imho. "The Jazz defense was really good for most of the night and the Jazz had a 6 point lead in the 4th quarter and seemed to be in control. The Jazz lead 96-90 with 9:13 left. Then the Wolves went on a 32-16 run to close the game and hit on 9 of 12 shots while the Jazz missed on 16 of 21 shots."

The bench is incredibly soft especially with Tony and Jeff at center. More than just production i'm tired of watching the lack of grit with that unit. The Jazz may need more size but a Faried/Booker type of dude which may help change the charmin mentality.

Udoh, Noah, Bogut, Reed, Booker, Faried, Gortat, etc., etc., etc.

Even Jeff Withey on a couple 10-days is a huge boon.
Some of those guys ain’t coming because they are playing elsewhere... I’ll add some names but am unsure of the situations... Salah Mejiri, Koufos, Greg Monroe.

Greg would basically be a leveled up version of Bradley but at least he wouldn’t be lost.

I will say that last nights loss was like 95% on DM and other guys shooting bad shots... but long term the Bradley issue should be addressed... or just play him and make damn sure he’s not good enough... give Jeff Green or Mudiay a couple nights off so that Dante can play some minutes.

The bench is incredibly soft especially with Tony and Jeff at center. More than just production i'm tired of watching the lack of grit with that unit. The Jazz may need more size but a Faried/Booker type of dude which may help change the charmin mentality.
Trevor Booker and Joakim Noah are at the top of my list... Booker would be great all around... cut Kidd and bring in Booker please. Need an *** kicker. Might push Green to play hard every night because there is a vet that could move above him on the pecking order.

Trevor Booker and Joakim Noah are at the top of my list... Booker would be great all around... cut Kidd and bring in Booker please. Need an *** kicker. Might push Green to play hard every night because there is a vet that could move above him on the pecking order.
I remembered hearing Joakim was injured looks like it was Windhorst that mentioned it.

Some of those guys ain’t coming because they are playing elsewhere... I’ll add some names but am unsure of the situations... Salah Mejiri, Koufos, Greg Monroe.

Greg would basically be a leveled up version of Bradley but at least he wouldn’t be lost.

I will say that last nights loss was like 95% on DM and other guys shooting bad shots... but long term the Bradley issue should be addressed... or just play him and make damn sure he’s not good enough... give Jeff Green or Mudiay a couple nights off so that Dante can play some minutes.
I really like Mejiri.

I remembered hearing Joakim was injured looks like it was Windhorst that mentioned it.

He later mentioned that he is healthy in a tweet... I'm guessing at the prompting of Joakim's agent... so take it with a grain of salt.

I like Booker better anyway... DL make this happen yesterday please.