What's new

What's the argument for not patching a hole in the boat?

And if DL is reluctant to toss Kidd aside, I'm willing to begin a "Stanton Kidd at the 5" experiment.

I agree in general with this. I'd be fine with dumping Kidd to patch the current hole at 4/5. My question is who is available on the market who is better than what we have on the roster? I'm not sold on any of the names I've heard thrown around.

The better solution might be to better utilize what we currently have. I'm noticing going through stats that we aren't getting the most out of our current guys. Example 1- Jeff Green was a great roller in pnr last year. He had a high PPP as the roller. Which makes sense because he's a great athlete. We have hardly used him as a roll man at all. Example 2- He's good at the corner three but he's taking a lot of his threes from elsewhere. Another thing- Last night we played the Wolves who have Dieng as the backup 5. It's logical then that Tony Bradley is the best matchup, no? Because we're going to have an easier time defending the paint and matching up on the glass. The only reason to choose Green at the 5 in that matchup is if you're going to try to exploit his ability to shoot the three and force Dieng to try and guard it. Which the Jazz never did.

We need our coaches to maximize what we do have. Sloan was great at that back in the day.

I agree in general with this. I'd be fine with dumping Kidd to patch the current hole at 4/5. My question is who is available on the market who is better than what we have on the roster? I'm not sold on any of the names I've heard thrown around.

The better solution might be to better utilize what we currently have. I'm noticing going through stats that we aren't getting the most out of our current guys. Example 1- Jeff Green was a great roller in pnr last year. He had a high PPP as the roller. Which makes sense because he's a great athlete. We have hardly used him as a roll man at all. Example 2- He's good at the corner three but he's taking a lot of his threes from elsewhere. Another thing- Last night we played the Wolves who have Dieng as the backup 5. It's logical then that Tony Bradley is the best matchup, no? Because we're going to have an easier time defending the paint and matching up on the glass. The only reason to choose Green at the 5 in that matchup is if you're going to try to exploit his ability to shoot the three and force Dieng to try and guard it. Which the Jazz never did.

We need our coaches to maximize what we do have. Sloan was great at that back in the day.
I agree and I'd add put Joe back in the starting line up to maximize him. If the argument is we need scoring in the second unit, well he ain't getting it done there so let's play to his strengths.

What's the argument for not patching a hole in the boat?

Sometimes, when you are on the water, a proper patch won't take, the pumps are adequate, and you are close to harbor, I can see where an improper patch may do more harm than good. @Gameface, you'd know more than I.

In short, the whole idea of food storage may be missed, because if you're waiting for the complete breakdown of society to access that food, it's probably going to be pointless at that juncture.

If rebounding backup big men are the most common resource in the NBA, that food won't spoil for a while.

What if Davis is out instead another month instead of 2 weeks? What if he gets injured again? What if Rudy gets injured? Last night, for the first time in franchise history, we played one rebounder. One. This isn't sustainable. If this costs us a couple games, that's not a small issue. It's cool if we're team building, but we're not. We sacrificed all our flexibility to contend the next two years. We need to act like it and protect that investment, rather than protecting a couple guys at the end of the bench who may need to be waived to bring in something of need now. The argument to keep them is the idea that there's a hypothetical need in the future. And we'd be neglecting our current tangible need to protect a future hypothetical need.

Outside of Conley/Ingles, who's going to be too old three years from now? Replacing them is what mid-level and biannual exceptions are for.

The bench is incredibly soft especially with Tony and Jeff at center. More than just production i'm tired of watching the lack of grit with that unit. The Jazz may need more size but a Faried/Booker type of dude which may help change the charmin mentality.
A guy named Jarrell comes to mind.

If rebounding backup big men are the most common resource in the NBA, that food won't spoil for a while.
That's not the food sitting on the shelf, though. Guys like Stanton Kidd (or the flexibility his roster spot could provide) is the food storage sitting on the shelf.

Outside of Conley/Ingles, who's going to be too old three years from now? Replacing them is what mid-level and biannual exceptions are for.
We've gone all-in on the next two years.

I'd go back to the food storage analogy. We've got 6 months worth of food storage. The kids have food to eat -- no need to panic, right? Of course we'll prioritize the kids eating. But we're going to have to hold off on sending Timmy to the dentist. Jane needs some new glasses, but damnit, we'll hunker down until this is over. No. No. We can't touch the food storage to free up money in the budget because we don't have the resources to replace it! What will we ever do when Yellowstone erupts and ash is covering the planet? What's your plan then?

I have a few questions about this:
  • How bad is Timmy's situation? Is it the wisdom tooth? Can he really wait?
  • What about Jane? if she can't read, she won't be able to read her favorite novels in the bunker.
  • What type of food are we storing? Is the family vegan? If so, they are screwed.
  • Do they have a pet? What's his name? Breed? He also needs to eat.
  • If Yellowstone erupts, is the NBA season cancelled? Do we get a discount on the Utah Jazz store? Do we continue to worry about our backup center?. Will JFC be active?
  • Is there a bunker for JFC posters? If we run out of food, who do we eat first? carolinajazz? oneye? yuck...

Last edited:

Sometimes, when you are on the water, a proper patch won't take, the pumps are adequate, and you are close to harbor, I can see where an improper patch may do more harm than good. @Gameface, you'd know more than I.

I really don't know much about that.

While sometimes people think Fire Controlman are shipboard firefighters, they aren't. Those are Damage Controlman. They are the ones who deal with shoring up hull breaches. Fire Controlman are in charge of shipboard weapon systems and their associated fire control (targeting) systems.

This is the 3rd straight year that the bench is a mere fraction of what 99.9% of JFC thought it would be. The national media seems to have whiffed on our depth, too.

Our bench is horrible.

This is the 3rd straight year that the bench is a mere fraction of what 99.9% of JFC thought it would be. The national media seems to have whiffed on our depth, too.

Our bench is horrible.
Here's my LoPo bench makeover:

1. Trade Mudiay and Jeff Green for Caruso.
2. Trade TB and Exum for Marcus Morris.
3. Trade NWG for Neto.
4. Sign Udoh and Booker.

Here's my LoPo bench makeover:

1. Trade Mudiay and Jeff Green for Caruso.
2. Trade TB and Exum for Marcus Morris.
3. Trade NWG for Neto.
4. Sign Udoh and Booker.
Oh, and:

5. Trade Niang and a second rounder for Korver.

I have a few questions about this:
  • How bad is Timmy's situation? Is it the wisdom tooth? Can he really wait?
  • What about Jane? if she can't read, she won't be able to read her favorite novels in the bunker.
  • What type of food are we storing? Is the family vegan? If so, they are screwed.
  • Do they have a pet? What's his name? Breed? He also needs to eat.
  • If Yellowstone erupts, is the NBA season cancelled? Do we get a discount on the Utah Jazz store? Do we continue to worry about our backup center?. Will JFC be active?
  • Is there a bunker for JFC posters? If we run out of food, who do we eat first? carolinajazz? oneye? yuck...
The pet is actually there to be eaten. #foodstorage

Our bench is horrible.

Yeah... Joe making shots would go a long damn way to helping this. I also think Davis being out really hurts us. He wasn't setting the world on fire, but solid big minutes.

Green/Niang/Bradley have murdered the bench production... maybe Dante gives us something, but I think we could really use Booker to boost the energy of that group and give them a competent big until Davis returns.