What's new

What's The Last Movie You’ve Seen?

Taking Woodstock

taking_woodstock.jpg

Demetri Martin is fantastic and Liev Schreiber is hilarious as the Ex-Marine/ Korean War Vet crossdresser.

the-apostle-poster-big.jpg

As many of you know, I watch a lot of films. Thus, it means something when I say that this is the best movie I've seen in months.

Regarding The Apostle, I don't remember the movie that well but I don't remember being that impressed by it. Duvall was certainly deserved of his Oscar nomination but beyond that, it was a little meh for me.

greek.jpg

I enjoyed it... Jonah Hill was his regular fat self. I appreciated Russel Brand's British aura, it was almost Ricky Gervais-esque. P-Diddy was pure gold in this one.

I was about half-way through Crazyheart when I realized I saw it 20 years ago - only then it was called Tender Mercies and that version was written for adults.

Over-rated hack job - Bridges saved the movie from being a total waste.

I was about half-way through Crazyheart when I realized I saw it 20 years ago - only then it was called Tender Mercies and that version was written for adults.

Over-rated hack job - Bridges saved the movie from being a total waste.

This post made me laugh. Like a real laugh, without sarcasm.

I've never seen TM but I trust you there. I did like Farrell's performance as well though. He was terrific and is a vastly underappreciated actor imo. He's shown nice versatility with movies like this, In Bruges, and going back a ways, Minority Report. He was quite strong in that Woody Allen flick as well.

Regarding The Apostle, I don't remember the movie that well but I don't remember being that impressed by it. Duvall was certainly deserved of his Oscar nomination but beyond that, it was a little meh for me.

This was basically Duvall's pet project, he's also the writer and director.

It has a handful of scenes that work extraordinarily well where the degree of difficulty is off the charts. The film is a delicate balancing act that could have gone of the rails any number of times and somehow works the whole way.

Fundamentally you have to believe a) that this completely crazy pentecostal preacher is not a fraud and b) that he could believe himself to be an apostle of god while on the run from the law for a murder that you personally watch him commit and that other people wouldn't think he was insane despite strong evidence that he was a criminal background. That's a hard movie to play seriously, and it's a hard movie to make without cheating or falling into cliche religious scenes. The characters are complex while the plot is not. Frankly, the film should have had a nomination for best original screenplay.

This was basically Duvall's pet project, he's also the writer and director.

It has a handful of scenes that work extraordinarily well where the degree of difficulty is off the charts. The film is a delicate balancing act that could have gone of the rails any number of times and somehow works the whole way.

Fundamentally you have to believe a) that this completely crazy pentecostal preacher is not a fraud and b) that he could believe himself to be an apostle of god while on the run from the law for a murder that you personally watch him commit and that other people wouldn't think he was insane despite strong evidence that he was a criminal background. That's a hard movie to play seriously, and it's a hard movie to make without cheating or falling into cliche religious scenes. The characters are complex while the plot is not. Frankly, the film should have had a nomination for best original screenplay.

All valid points but it still doesn't change the fact that the movie didn't wow me.

What were the five movies nominated that year for BOS by chance?

All valid points but it still doesn't change the fact that the movie didn't wow me.

What were the five movies nominated that year for BOS by chance?

Admittedly it was sort of a stacked year.

The nominees were "Good Will Hunting" (winner), "Boogie Nights," "As Good As It Gets," "Deconstructing Harry," and "The Full Monty"

I don't think it should have won, but I think it has a good argument over three of those five movies.

I never saw DH, I wasn't that impressed with TFM which is just one of those catchy, niche films that viewers love every five years, and didn't buy AGAIG. I can be swayed into thinking The Apostle was deserved of a nod.

No way in hell over the other two though.

Did LA Confidential win BAS?

Haha, speaking of Oldboy, I finally got around to seeing that today. FAn - freaking - tastic. I think I'll just freakin move it up to the top of my favorite movies of all time list. Done.

If you can't tell I'm in the process of discovering exactly what the korean movie industry has to offer. alot, they have alot to offer. the end. if you haven't seen Oldboy yet, it's also available on instant streaming on netflix. go watch it now. next on the list for me is "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance"

Has anyone seen "The Human Centipede?"

Here's the trailer:

https://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4206561049/

Probably not what you would call the feel good movie of the summer - but Roger Ebert inadvertently gave the film a little boost by refusing to give it a rating. Only the second time he's done that in 40 years.

Apparently they've already made a sequel.

Here's the trailer:

Probably not what you would call the feel good movie of the summer - but Roger Ebert inadvertently gave the film a little boost by refusing to give it a rating. Only the second time he's done that in 40 years.

So, I almost didn't click on the link because I really just don't care -- but I WILL be seeing this movie. That looks terribly awesome.

Freakin' awesome.

Why did Ebert bitch out and not rate it?

He reviewed the movie - you can probably find it online; but he called the review more a public service announcement. He just found the movie so incredibly dark and disturbing that it shouldn't be seen or rated.

From what I heard it's not very gory at all - I guess the idea of removing three people's kneecaps and then sugically attaching their mouth to the other person's **** was a bit more than he can bear.

I just watched 'The Surrogates' - I thought it was an interesting movie with an interesting premise. I also think that the movie was better because of its shorter running time (only 90 minutes). If the movie would have forced another 30 minutes I don't think it would have been as good.

Here's the trailer:

Alright, I would be up for that surgeons plan under one condition. If Kobe was attached behind me. "So Kobe, how does my *** taste?!? HAHAHAH"

LOL, o lawdy I crack myself up.

whoops. Goddamn, you could have just edited, didn't have to mess with my precious +reps :(.

Last edited by a moderator: