What's new

Which five-man combo would you rather see at the end of a game?

Choose your favorite 5-man combo of the two listed below

• Conley, DM, Joe, Bojan, Gobert

• DM, Joe, Bojan, Favors, Gobert

Results are only viewable after voting.

NAOS

See poll. I know these aren’t the only two combos we might see; I just want to see where JFC is at with these two:

1. Conley, DM, Joe, Bojan, Gobert

2. DM, Joe, Bojan, Favors, Gobert

I definitely want DM at pg at end of games, but not sure I want Favors in there unless we're playing the Lakers.

also I don’t see the jazz benching Conley in crunch time in every game.

The first lineup was one of the few lineups that was proven to be bad last season. In a perfect world, all the added ball handling and scoring would allow everyone to get better shots and spend more energy on defense. But that is the exact opposite of what happened last. The surplus of offensive firepower reduced the number of system baskets + easy opportunities and decreased defensive effort because our players were selfish and moping around.

Still my choice here, however. I'm hoping that it was fluke and/or better chemistry will improve it this year. Playing 4v5 on offense makes it really hard to pick the second choice.

Voted for the first one as likely to apply to more situations. But I think my preferences are more situation-dependent than absolute. (I I think Quin will tend to use the same closing lineup more consistently than I'd prefer, however.)

I also think some of these patterns (which five-man units work best together) will take some time to work out, and thus remain to be seen. And they may differ from last year's patterns, though I know this question doesn't get directly at that issue.

2 by a light year.

It was factually our best lineup (and arguably the best in the entire league), while 1 did not work. 2 is balanced on both sides of the ball, 1 has too many players that need the ball and 0 players to check a skillful scorer with even decent size and athleticism.

I am honestly astonished this is even a question, let alone a close vote.

I agree it is context-dependent, but the first will be better more often.

Conley-Mitchell-Bogdanovic-Favors-Gobert could be very good.

2 by a light year.

It was factually our best lineup (and arguably the best in the entire league), while 1 did not work. 2 is balanced on both sides of the ball, 1 has too many players that need the ball and 0 players to check a skillful scorer with even decent size and athleticism.

I am honestly astonished this is even a question, let alone a close vote.

4 vs 5 is tough to get over, especially in a playoff situation against smart teams.

It is a fair point that lineup 1 struggled, but it struggled it wouldn't have if we had a team that prioritized winning over individual touches and shots, Quin hasn't shown the ability to manage that situation so it is blind faith that they decide to play as a team this time around.

Lineup 2 has never played, although Favors+Gobert has been positive in the past. It should work again and even better without Rubio, but I would have thought that lineup 1 was going to work before last season as well.

2 and the omission of Royce on option 1 makes it a even easier choice

But maybe (or problably) the ideal may be the already cited DM, Joe, Bojan, Royce and Rudy

2 and the omission of Royce on option 1 makes it a even easier choice

But maybe (or problably) the ideal may be the already cited DM, Joe, Bojan, Royce and Rudy
Yeah, this ain’t about the ideal.

The question is how many times will we actually see DM, Conley, Bojan, Favors, Gobert? Ugh.

Both have their place and depends on matchup. If I had to choose I'll take the bigger lineup with more defense.

Our most played lineup in the playoffs this year was Conley, Mitchell, Ingles, O'Neale, and Gobert. That lineup was +9.3.
Our second most played lineup in the playoffs was Mitchell, Clarkson, Ingles, O'Neale, and Gobert. That lineup was -13.4.

This is a side note but both of those got a decent enough playing time to be a large enough sample size.

In the regular Season our most played lineup was Mitchell, Ingles, Bog, O'Neale, and Gobert. That lineup was a whopping +13.7
If you swap in Conley its gets worse but is still really good. Also if you count how bad Conley was early it actually might be a better lineup once he got going.
Post All-star Conley is in 2 of our 3 most played lineups that are both +15. All of our other top 6 lineups are negative. But the weird bubble games probably skewed this data too much.

A few thoughts on that one of which is related to this thread. Assuming we had Bog we would have done much better in the playoffs. But that is kind of obvious. Related to this I think that regular season lineup is just as good or better with Favors replacing O'Neale. I think overall Favors adds more. O'Neale isa good defender but Favors adds more defense at the PF spot and much better rebounding. O'Neale adds better shooting but he passes up open shots far too often and I think gets left open just as much as Favors. In certain lineups I really like the idea of Favors/Gobert with 2 very good shooters and one elite offensive player in Mitchell. But it should only play in certain matchups and limited minutes, particularly in the regular season.