What's new

Which Jazz player(s) will make the all star game?

Who makes the all star game?

• Gobert

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Mitchell

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Both Gobert and Mitchell

Votes: 54 91.5%

• Total voters
trae young as an all star on a team with the 2nd worst record in the league.

how do you feel about that?

Feel worse about the fact that he is a bigger defensive liability than an offensive asset.

Mitchell and Gobert were unanimous selections by the Inside the NBA hosts. For what it’s worth.

Ed Davis, Juwan Morgan, and Jarrell Brantley all receiving all-star votes.

By the way, I’m not that bent outta shape about Hayward but how funny would/will it be if he never makes another ASG or finals appearance. WHOOPS.

I don't buy that being an all star means your team has a winning record. There are way to many variables. Great players can get stuck on bad teams. It is the same type of logic folks use to discount Stockton and Malone because they don't have a ring.

I don't buy that being an all star means your team has a winning record. There are way to many variables. Great players can get stuck on bad teams. It is the same type of logic folks use to discount Stockton and Malone because they don't have a ring.
Ehh. I’m good with it as a rule of thumb. Having a >.500 is not a high threshold and it incentivizes players to play winning basketball.

That being said, Lillard deserves to be in and Westbrook does not.

By the way, I’m not that bent outta shape about Hayward but how funny would/will it be if he never makes another ASG or finals appearance. WHOOPS.
What was the vote for eastern conference? Tried to search a similar image that was posted on the other page for the West.

But yeah...

giphy.gif

Also, not that I think Bojan should be an all-star, but he sure as hell has a better case than Porzingis, Carmelo, and probably D’Angelo Russell.

Someone post the snippet about our guys please. I won't install the app to read it.

THE RESERVES

Frontcourt (3)

Rudy Gobert, Utah – Do you realize Gobert has never made the All-Star team? I’m sorry, but are you kidding me? The two-way anchor for a team that is 18-2 in its last 20 games, Gobert is known for his defense — he’s won the last two Defensive Player of the Year awards and deservedly will be near the top of the voting again this season. The part people forget is that he’s also an elite rebounder (grabbing a career-best 14.5 per game this year) and that he shoots 68% from the floor. Sixty-eight, y’all.

Watch a Utah Jazz highlight and it will be five seconds before some commentator talks about Donovan Mitchell making the All-Star team. No disrespect to Mitchell — we’ll talk about him more in a minute — but Gobert is by far the most important element to this team.

One can argue that’s the case even at the offensive end. He can’t post up like a traditional five and he’s a non-factor on the perimeter, but the threat of his rim runs and dunks opens the floor for everyone else. He also draws a ton of fouls (8.0 free throw attempts per 100), although you wish he shot better than 61.8%.

Bigger picture, he makes it all work. Utah’s surrounds him with four perimeter guys who don’t defend all that much and don’t rebound at all, and it works because Gobert dominates the middle and gets every rebound. It’s worked so well that the Jazz are in a position to get the second seed in the West despite a limited bench and not getting much yet from offseason pickup Mike Conley. It will be an absolute outrage if Gobert gets shafted again.

Wild Cards (2)

Donovan Mitchell, Utah – Mitchell’s All-Star case isn’t quite as ironclad as people might think. Defensively he’s been average, at best, something that doesn’t attract as much notice when you have the Stifle Tower playing behind you, while offensively he’s taken a huge volume of not-that-great shots but had trouble generating the layups, free throws and 3s that are the scoring feast for the game’s elite stars.

Amazingly, it works for him. Mitchell is so good at midrange shots and floaters that he still converts a decent 51.0% of his 2s, even though only 17.3% of his shots have come in the basket area, an amazingly low total for an elite guard. As a playmaker he’s been satisfactory but hardly electrifying — certainly he could leverage the shooters and Gobert’s rim-running more than he does. There’s a reason they run so much pick-and-roll with Joe Ingles instead.

That said, Mitchell has one other advantage over a lot of the other guards on this list — he goes quickly. You’ll find very few possessions where Mitchell stands on the ball for several seconds waiting to do something. Particularly in the past month, Jazz possessions have been notable for dizzying passing sequences where the ball pings for side to side until some random guy ends up wide open at the 3-point line. Not coincidentally, Utah is 18-2 in its past 20 games. Mitchell may not be getting assists on a lot of these “move the ball” plays, but he’s still a big part of what’s happening and why.

Ehh. I’m good with it as a rule of thumb. Having a >.500 is not a high threshold and it incentivizes players to play winning basketball.

That being said, Lillard deserves to be in and Westbrook does not.

My point exactly. Lillard should be a lock and the boys from Portland are not a good team.

Definitely some doubt on us having any all stars at all. The player vote blows me away. I expected Donovan to be much higher on the player vote. Same with Rudy. I really wonder where the coaches will go with it.

Interestingly fan favorite Caruso did not receive a single vote from players.