What's new

Who gets waived?

Which player(s) will be waived before the season starts?

• Butler

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Dok

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • NAW

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bolmaro

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Stanley Johnson

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Saben Lee

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Gay

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
He has every incentive. We aren't talking about a lot of money and he is at the end of his career and should want to try and win a championship.
Let me get this straight. So you’re suggesting we keep him into the season? This thread is about who gets waived to bring our active roster down to 15. As I said, he has no reason to negotiate a buy out now, because once he clears waivers he can still go out and negotiate another deal and still play for another team.

Last edited:
Listened to Locke today and he talked a little about this. Based on his comments I think NAW, JB might be fairly safe. Bubble guys... Bolmaro but he mentioned he likely makes it too... Johnson, Doke... couldn't remember if he mentioned Gay much.

I honestly think you could trade Johnson and maybe get a light asset... like a bad second rounder... but I don't think you'd have to eat that salary. He would likely be claimed off waivers... so again you aren't eating the salary.

The cut should be Gay, Doke... I think it is likely Johnson/Dok.

Yeah, I’m thinking Johnson gets waived as well but he likely gets claimed and I agree we could get a 2nd for him but likely won’t.

Let me get this straight. So you’re suggesting we keep him into the season? This thread is about who gets waived to bring our active roster down to 15. As I said, he has no reason to negotiate a buy out now, because once he clears waivers he can still go out negotiate another deal and still play for another team.
Which is why they very well might waive someone else... keep him on the roster and just send him away from the team if his attitude is really crappy. At that point he can decide to take a buyout (if he has other suitors... his agent would be allowed to canvas the league to see what teams if any would sign him) or keep all his money and burn a year of his career.

Now in the next week might both sides have a little talk and give him the smallest buyout like maybe he takes $300-400k less and we can keep one of the guys we prefer? Maybe.

He will not be waiving the final year on that deal though. At best I think we are talking about him giving like 1.7M back over the 2 years.

If they can't figure it out the Jazz should just waive him so he's away from the team and they can have an open roster spot or keep someone they like.

Which is why they very well might waive someone else... keep him on the roster and just send him away from the team if his attitude is really crappy. At that point he can decide to take a buyout (if he has other suitors... his agent would be allowed to canvas the league to see what teams if any would sign him) or keep all his money and burn a year of his career.

Now in the next week might both sides have a little talk and give him the smallest buyout like maybe he takes $300-400k less and we can keep one of the guys we prefer? Maybe.

He will not be waiving the final year on that deal though. At best I think we are talking about him giving like 1.7M back over the 2 years.

If they can't figure it out the Jazz should just waive him so he's away from the team and they can have an open roster spot or keep someone they like.
Obviously and that’s a completely different scenario than Sip was suggesting. It also hamstrings us if he won’t play ball on a buyout unless we’re lucky enough to find a trade he can be part of.

It will be a real shame if we cut Johnson and keep Gay with a hope and a prayer predicated on sunk cost.

Last edited:
If we’re stuck with Gay, I’d probably have to let Bolmaro go before Johnson as NAW does everything Bolmaro does and just a tad better. I’d also shuttle Butler ahead of Dok.

I really liked what I saw from Johnson in that 2nd preseason game with the 2nd unit esp in the 3rd quarter. It would be a shame to cut him because of Gay's guaranteed money.
As a rebuild team Bolmaro is another guy they should try to develop. He looks to have a bit of trouble finishing at the rim but does have potential as a 6'-6" guy with ballhandling/playmaking skills.

Saban Lee was the easiest one to guess since we were basically given money to waive him. He would have had to have been amazing to get a roster spot. I wonder if there was a little bit of a competition with him and Butler and Butler won, although I'm not sure Butler is safe yet.

It seems like the other possible roster spot competition is Stanley Johnson vs Rudy Gay. Stanley Johnson has been getting a lot of love from the media lately whereas Gay is getting the opposite. Because of the contract I'm skeptical that Gay gets waived, but maybe. Or maybe they are just trying to create Stanley Johnson buzz so someone tries to take him in under a TPE.

It's possible they both get waived, however, it seems like the 3rd guy most likely on the chopping block is Dok. I think he could provide some entertainment this year, but it's hard to compete when you can't stay healthy. The only other guy I could see getting waived is Balmaro.

It will be interesting how it all shakes out.
I think Butler is safe

Listened to Locke today and he talked a little about this. Based on his comments I think NAW, JB might be fairly safe. Bubble guys... Bolmaro but he mentioned he likely makes it too... Johnson, Doke... couldn't remember if he mentioned Gay much.

I honestly think you could trade Johnson and maybe get a light asset... like a bad second rounder... but I don't think you'd have to eat that salary. He would likely be claimed off waivers... so again you aren't eating the salary.

The cut should be Gay, Doke... I think it is likely Johnson/Dok.
You can really tell how much Locke dislikes Gay when he talks about him. He mentioned Gay once today just to say he didn't run his projections for him, but they would be bad (like negative points gained) because he was bad last year.

I really liked what I saw from Johnson in that 2nd preseason game with the 2nd unit esp in the 3rd quarter. It would be a shame to cut him because of Gay's guaranteed money.
As a rebuild team Bolmaro is another guy they should try to develop. He looks to have a bit of trouble finishing at the rim but does have potential as a 6'-6" guy with ballhandling/playmaking skills.
Bolmaro can handle, but when your off the dribbling shooting is so bad that you struggle to even get your shot off, much less make it, you can't be a NBA playmaker.

Let me get this straight. So you’re suggesting we keep him into the season? This thread is about who gets waived to bring our active roster down to 15. As I said, he has no reason to negotiate a buy out now, because once he clears waivers he can still go out and negotiate another deal and still play for another team.
That is not what I am suggesting at all. You come to an agreement with Gay to pay this year's salary immediately to him at which point he waives his option for next year and is then released. Now he is able to join a contender for his league minimum which is around 2.5 mil so this year he ends up making 8.5mil rather than 6.

You can really tell how much Locke dislikes Gay when he talks about him. He mentioned Gay once today just to say he didn't run his projections for him, but they would be bad (like negative points gained) because he was bad last year.
Which probably says something about what he thinks about his locker room presence as well. Maybe he just hates his game.

That is not what I am suggesting at all. You come to an agreement with Gay to pay this year's salary immediately to him at which point he waives his option for next year and is then released. Now he is able to join a contender for his league minimum which is around 2.5 mil so this year he ends up making 8.5mil rather than 6.
Well I suppose it's a hypothetical. Is it a realistic hypothetical....no.

Which probably says something about what he thinks about his locker room presence as well. Maybe he just hates his game.

During the twitter spaces the beat writers did over the summer, they were very critical of Gays locker room presence as well. If the Jazz really are as worried about culture as they claim to be, then they need to find a way to get him off the team before the season starts.

Just thinking if Gay is a questionable type attitude maybe he should be sent home to wait for his release or trade