What's new

Who gets waived?

Which player(s) will be waived before the season starts?

• Butler

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Dok

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • NAW

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bolmaro

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Stanley Johnson

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Saben Lee

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Gay

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
I suspect that Dok gets kept around. The Jazz had him mic'd up in the scrimmage and put the video on their website. He seems like a good guy and seemed to be interacting well with his teammates. I think it would be heartless for them to now say: "Coach wants to see you down the hall. Bring your playbook."

I suspect that Dok gets kept around. The Jazz had him mic'd up in the scrimmage and put the video on their website. He seems like a good guy and seemed to be interacting well with his teammates. I think it would be heartless for them to now say: "Coach wants to see you down the hall. Bring your playbook."

I mean if they don't do it to Dok, they are going to do it to Butler. One of those two are gone.

Saban Lee was the easiest one to guess since we were basically given money to waive him. He would have had to have been amazing to get a roster spot. I wonder if there was a little bit of a competition with him and Butler and Butler won, although I'm not sure Butler is safe yet.

It seems like the other possible roster spot competition is Stanley Johnson vs Rudy Gay. Stanley Johnson has been getting a lot of love from the media lately whereas Gay is getting the opposite. Because of the contract I'm skeptical that Gay gets waived, but maybe. Or maybe they are just trying to create Stanley Johnson buzz so someone tries to take him in under a TPE.

It's possible they both get waived, however, it seems like the 3rd guy most likely on the chopping block is Dok. I think he could provide some entertainment this year, but it's hard to compete when you can't stay healthy. The only other guy I could see getting waived is Balmaro.

It will be interesting how it all shakes out.

It seems like we should be able to work out a deal with Gay where he passes on his next year option but we pay him his full salary this year and waive him. This allows him to get 6mil from us plus at least the league minimum from a contender which I think is around 2.5mil. Then next year if he signs for the minimum again that gets him to around 11mil so it almost makes up for the entire option and he gets to go to a contender. He may even be able to get more than the minimum.

Saban Lee was the easiest one to guess since we were basically given money to waive him. He would have had to have been amazing to get a roster spot. I wonder if there was a little bit of a competition with him and Butler and Butler won, although I'm not sure Butler is safe yet.

It seems like the other possible roster spot competition is Stanley Johnson vs Rudy Gay. Stanley Johnson has been getting a lot of love from the media lately whereas Gay is getting the opposite. Because of the contract I'm skeptical that Gay gets waived, but maybe. Or maybe they are just trying to create Stanley Johnson buzz so someone tries to take him in under a TPE.

It's possible they both get waived, however, it seems like the 3rd guy most likely on the chopping block is Dok. I think he could provide some entertainment this year, but it's hard to compete when you can't stay healthy. The only other guy I could see getting waived is Balmaro.

It will be interesting how it all shakes out.
His recent injury history all revolves around that right ankle and its’ stretched ligaments. Now that he’s has had the surgical procedure to tighten that ankle back up, the hope is that his injury woes are behind him.

It seems like we should be able to work out a deal with Gay where he passes on his next year option but we pay him his full salary this year and waive him. This allows him to get 6mil from us plus at least the league minimum from a contender which I think is around 2.5mil. Then next year if he signs for the minimum again that gets him to around 11mil so it almost makes up for the entire option and he gets to go to a contender. He may even be able to get more than the minimum.
He’s got no incentive to do us any props given that he can sign with whoever he wants once he clears waivers regardless. By my understanding, buy outs only occur when it’s the player that wants to get out of his contract to go play for somebody else.

We were literally paid Lee’s entire contract in cash from Detroit. He was only thrown in to make salary work so it was easy to see the writing on the wall for him.

He’s got no incentive to do us any props given that he can sign with whoever he wants once he clears waivers regardless. By my understanding, buy outs only occur when it’s the player that wants to get out of his contract to go play for somebody else.
He has every incentive. We aren't talking about a lot of money and he is at the end of his career and should want to try and win a championship.

On the original poll voted Lee, Johnson, Gay. At this point I would probably change my vote to Lee(duh), Gay, and sadly Dok. I'm going to assume Zeller doesn't make it either especially considering his non guaranteed contract.

Lee had a few impressive dunks in the scrimmage but didn't see much else. Piston fans said he was a G League star but pretty bad in the actual games. The odds were stacked against him considering the organization has invested a draft pick and a full season of player development in Butler. They had nothing invested in Lee and the Pistons had already paid his salary for this season to grease the wheels.

We were literally paid Lee’s entire contract in cash from Detroit. He was only thrown in to make salary work so it was easy to see the writing on the wall for him.
And they bring him to camp to see if they found something on accident before releasing him. There is a chance someone claims him and we don't pay his salary... but it does give him a chance to land in another spot.

Listened to Locke today and he talked a little about this. Based on his comments I think NAW, JB might be fairly safe. Bubble guys... Bolmaro but he mentioned he likely makes it too... Johnson, Doke... couldn't remember if he mentioned Gay much.

I honestly think you could trade Johnson and maybe get a light asset... like a bad second rounder... but I don't think you'd have to eat that salary. He would likely be claimed off waivers... so again you aren't eating the salary.

The cut should be Gay, Doke... I think it is likely Johnson/Dok.

Back