What's new

Who gets waived?

Which player(s) will be waived before the season starts?

• Butler

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Dok

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • NAW

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bolmaro

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Stanley Johnson

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Saben Lee

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Gay

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
And Bane is becoming second best player on the Grizzlies. We really dug our own grave the last couple of off seasons.
Exactly. Bane would’ve been a terrific addition. Hell, he might’ve even made Spida expendable tbh… the dude is a stud.

Btw, I watched part of the Cavs/Sixers game and I thought like Spida looked slower. Is it possible that he’s lost a step already?

After the preseason 'competition' they basically just ended up waiving the cheapest guys: Lee, Johnson, Butler, and partially guaranteed Zeller.

Not really. Aaron Holiday is likely to be the primary backup pg.
Trent and Aaron can be on the floor together just like Trae and Murray. They can run the same exact two guard combo. One undersized offensive oriented PG plus one longer/more athletic defensive guard that lacks an outside shot. Coach doesn't even need to change anything to his playbook when he bring the subs on

Exactly. Bane would’ve been a terrific addition. Hell, he might’ve even made Spida expendable tbh… the dude is a stud.

Btw, I watched part of the Cavs/Sixers game and I thought like Spida looked slower. Is it possible that he’s lost a step already?
I made the same comment that I thought he’d lost a step after that game as well.

Guys… it doesn’t matter who was the cheapest because they’d have to pay the salary regardless.

What matters was how long the contracts are and all three that were waived were non-guaranteed past this year.
The bigger salaries are useful in trades. I think they prefer to have Butler's $1.5 mil be the dead salary over Bolmaro's $2.4 mil. As far as I know Bolmaro's 3rd year option hasn't been picked up yet. He's an expiring unless they pick up that option in the next few days.

In the long run there could be as little as 1-2 guys that are still here in 3 years so it really doesn't matter.
To me Johnson is the one player who could immediately help another team but apparently nobody wanted to trade for him.

I have some mixed feelings. I like Butler and think he had some potential. It's a shame we couldn't do the Westbrook deal so we wouldn't be in this situation. I also am hoping for a Conley deal at some point in which case I think Butler could have gotten some minutes.

On the other hand it's not super surprising and Butler maybe just isn't good and I'm not feeling that disappointed. We currently have a lot of guards to give minutes to, so I'm not sure he was ever going to get consistent minutes to develop.

I have some mixed feelings. I like Butler and think he had some potential. It's a shame we couldn't do the Westbrook deal so we wouldn't be in this situation. I also am hoping for a Conley deal at some point in which case I think Butler could have gotten some minutes.

On the other hand it's not super surprising and Butler maybe just isn't good and I'm not feeling that disappointed. We currently have a lot of guards to give minutes to, so I'm not sure he was ever going to get consistent minutes to develop.
Does that get the roster down to 15 or does one more have to go?

Brand new regime - anybody acquired during DL’s tenure is going to be on a short leash or out the door.

Not terribly surprised, although I though he did enough recently to put someone else up on the chopping block.

Gotta say that the way the previous two off seasons have gone are a massive black eye for this franchise and now they have to dig out of this hole.

I thought the front office fed us a load of horse feathers about his skills and made up every excuse in the world for his short comings. That being said, I thought he had saved his hide in the preseason. It looks like the most modestly paid players were the ones that got whacked.