What's new

Who gets waived?

Which player(s) will be waived before the season starts?

• Butler

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Dok

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • NAW

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bolmaro

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Stanley Johnson

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Saben Lee

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Gay

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
Maybe.

I honestly don't think there is an untouchable on the roster with *maybe* the exception of someone like Kessler as he's only entering year 1 of his rookie scale contract. He should still be under their control when they start winning again.

Vandy expires in '24. Markk in '25. If we get to 2023 or 2024 with no franchise player on the horizon I could see a scenario where Lauri is potentially traded before he becomes an expiring contract. OTOH maybe we end up with Victor so they decide to keep all the high end roleplayers such as Lauri. It's really impossible to say at this point although I'll predict that Lauri is still here on Christmas unless something unpredictable happens in the next few months.
If DA trades Lauri its cuz he got a decent haul. Like if he netted both Lakers picks or two other unprotected picks elsewhere. I think he puts up 20+ pts and 8-9 rebs per game and ends up increasing his trade value pretty significantly.

We will find out in about 30 mins if Johnson or Butler were picked up off waivers.

Locke and Ben Anderson today both kind of made it sound like Jared Butler is maybe a little bit overconfident, and that it hurt him. Anderson even said his understanding is that he didn't gel well in the locker room, some people perceived his confidence as arrogance, and that he believed he deserved more and may have treated people like that. Locke made it sound like he was too concerned about becoming a great starting guard instead of carving out a role for himself, similar to what Raul Neto has done in his career.

Locke and Ben Anderson today both kind of made it sound like Jared Butler is maybe a little bit overconfident, and that hurt him. Anderson even said his understanding is that he didn't gel well in the locker room, and some people perceived his confidence as arrogance, and that he believed he deserved more and may have treated people like that. Locke made it sound like he was too concerned about becoming a great starting guard instead of carving out a role for himself, similar to what Raul Neto has done in his career.
I get that impression… kinda too cool for school too. Too bad. I think he’s talented enough to make it. Maybe this is the wake up call for him.

Locke and Ben Anderson today both kind of made it sound like Jared Butler is maybe a little bit overconfident, and that it hurt him. Anderson even said his understanding is that he didn't gel well in the locker room, some people perceived his confidence as arrogance, and that he believed he deserved more and may have treated people like that. Locke made it sound like he was too concerned about becoming a great starting guard instead of carving out a role for himself, similar to what Raul Neto has done in his career.
It always felt like something along these lines happened. Like, regardless of whether he's kinda arrogant or not (relative to the average NBA player), if he rubbed the wrong people the wrong way then that's all it might take to get dog-housed.

It always felt like something along these lines happened. Like, regardless of whether he's kinda arrogant or not (relative to the average NBA player), if he rubbed the wrong people the wrong way then that's all it might take to get dog-housed.
Last year he played two of the most gawd awful back to back games with the Stars where the Stars were blown out. He looked pissed off to even be there. The FO and coaches I'm sure noticed. One of the Jazz media (I forget which one now) asked him if he was nervous before the Raptors game and the response was "No, I played in the National Championship game." If you're arrogant and cocky and don't have the skills of Lebron or Kobe, it's not a tough choice to cut you.

I was looking forward to what Butler could do but the more time that goes on the more it proves that Quin was right in not giving him minutes. Too bad it didnt work out.

For what it's worth the Spurs cut Joe Weiskamp yesterday and ate his contract. He was the player drafted immediately after Butler.

Coach Popovich sent Danny Green to the G League several times to figure it out and this was after he had already been cut by at least one other team. Apparently he was another that was a bit over confident but obviously ended up carving himself a nice career. Maybe Butler will be in the same boat although I'm a little concerned about his low shooting percentages. That is something he definitely needs to work on.

Maybe.

I honestly don't think there is an untouchable on the roster with *maybe* the exception of someone like Kessler as he's only entering year 1 of his rookie scale contract. He should still be under their control when they start winning again.

Vandy expires in '24. Markk in '25. If we get to 2023 or 2024 with no franchise player on the horizon I could see a scenario where Lauri is potentially traded before he becomes an expiring contract. OTOH maybe we end up with Victor so they decide to keep all the high end roleplayers such as Lauri. It's really impossible to say at this point although I'll predict that Lauri is still here on Christmas unless something unpredictable happens in the next few months.
Right now if I am Hardy, I am giving Marky the keys to the castle, and use him as the first option. I think not only can he become Tatum light this season, he can elevate this team to play in status by himself. But if they are tanking it won't happen. I am pretty high on Marky at this point after seeing him play some for the Cavs last season. I think he is the gem of this trade and if Sexton gets back to his old self the Jazz made out great. Even if all the picks are in the 20's Then if Och becomes a legit player it curtains. I would like nothing more than to be happy with the return instead of hoping the Cavs stink now or whatever

Coach Popovich sent Danny Green to the G League several times to figure it out and this was after he had already been cut by at least one other team. Apparently he was another that was a bit over confident but obviously ended up carving himself a nice career. Maybe Butler will be in the same boat although I'm a little concerned about his low shooting percentages. That is something he definitely needs to work on.
I think Butler and the HCM condition will render his nba career pretty short. no team is going to invest long term in someone with a heart condition. can you imagine the devestating outcomes if he were to drop dead in a game. it is sad but I think he needs to get into coaching or something going forward.