What's new

Who's getting bought out this year?

Both Griffin and Drummond will be traded out soon. I expect the Jazz to add neither because we don't really have any assets to give.

Hard to try and trade enough salary to even get them unless you'd give up Conley and nobody is trading for Conley for those dudes right now.

Holy cow, just realized Niang is down to 29% from 3.

His leash is quite long. How much longer can he play at such a sub-par level shooting wise (because he seems to be solid, if not good, on D so far.)
Well his +/- is vastly better in large part to his effort in other phases of the game. As long as his reputation is enough to stretch the floor and his shot is good enough to hit open 3s, he’s staying in the rotation unless an obvious upgrade emerges.

We've played enough games where Niang's shooting is a worry...but he has been pretty solid defensively and he knows how to keep the offense moving. If he shoots like he has his whole career, suddenly you have a really good player. OTOH, I wouldn't mind seeing Oni or Morgan take some minutes from them. Probably Morgan...I think we undervalue that Niang is a bigger body. If Oni is playing we're putting a size burden on Ingles or Clarkson and I don't think that's a great idea.

As far as the buyout market, I would love to get RHJ. I'm not sure why he's struggled to find a team, but my guess is that he and his agent are just going to wait it out to find the best spot. A contender will come calling.
The answer is shooting.

I really think the Jazz's biggest weakness is guarding elite SFs man-to-man because we just lack a strong, sufficiently athletic, sufficiently big wing to handle the Lebrons, Kawhis, Paul Georges, and with any luck, Durants of the league. So I think it behoove them to get a commensurate physical specimen in the bullpen and get them ready for when their number might be called.

OPJ would be a dream, even with his injury problems, but I think RHJ is a worthy bet. Maybe they should just groom Brantley for that role and see if they can get him to calm down and settle into playing the 3nD role.

Well his +/- is vastly better in large part to his effort in other phases of the game. As long as his reputation is enough to stretch the floor and his shot is good enough to hit open 3s, he’s staying in the rotation unless an obvious upgrade emerges.
After the Niangphoon I predicted this weekend he is up to 33% from 3. He starts drilling them every time I throw in the towel with him. When Mike comes back I'm still on board with giving his minutes to Oni (who is doing some interesting things out there).

After the Niangphoon I predicted this weekend he is up to 33% from 3. He starts drilling them every time I throw in the towel with him. When Mike comes back I'm still on board with giving his minutes to Oni (who is doing some interesting things out there).
Oni looks good. I just think Quin really values Niang as one of the more-believable 4s on the team and that he is very comfortable in the offense.

I'm good with whatever he decides. In either case, we need to be developing a hybrid forward that can put a body on elite SFs. Not sure that's Oni, it's not Niang, so I think our best hope is someone getting bought out and wanting to come here.

The answer is shooting.

I really think the Jazz's biggest weakness is guarding elite SFs man-to-man because we just lack a strong, sufficiently athletic, sufficiently big wing to handle the Lebrons, Kawhis, Paul Georges, and with any luck, Durants of the league. So I think it behoove them to get a commensurate physical specimen in the bullpen and get them ready for when their number might be called.

OPJ would be a dream, even with his injury problems, but I think RHJ is a worthy bet. Maybe they should just groom Brantley for that role and see if they can get him to calm down and settle into playing the 3nD role.

I still think individual man defense is overrated. It's way more important to defend actions. Very rarely do you get a true 1 on 1 matchup, and when you do, the defense is likely going to pick out a switch anyways. You can prime Ron Artest, but if Mike Conley is on the floor....you're going to end up with Mike Conley guarding these guys when they attack.

Either way, it's not being solved by a buyout guy. I think RHJ is an excellent option against elite wings, but he's not going to see the court when it matters. It's going to be some combination of Royce, Ingles, Bojan, and Mitchell getting the main assignments.

I don’t think there’s a trade there for nearly anyone in the league, so we’re purely buyout, and I think the odds any of these guys getting bought out is only slightly higher than our odds of being able to trade for them (0%). That said, the landscape changes fast. Who knows who hits the market. Probably guys we aren’t thinking about. Would love for it to be OPJ, but he’s not a 33+ year old on last legs, so a buyout is unlikely. RHJ is nice in theory, but if we were interested in him, we would have signed him by now. Barring injury, I don’t see him coming in, unless holding off on signing a guy like him was tax implications and they’re now confident in our ability to contend and decided to go for it.
btw, on OPJ: health problems continue -- maybe he's on his last legs in spite of his age

If the Jazz want to take a flier on a buy-low option, they could take a look at Jabari Parker. As a 9th or 10th man who plays for 10 minutes, he might pan out in the Jazz's system. He might be able to come in and make a few plays, given the spacing and ball movement the Jazz create.

Let’s hope he’s on our roster this year. Not healthy? Okay. Play Niang. Healthy? Well, we’d be hearing a lot more about whistling buttholes.
His "back" issues are part of his plan to force his way here. Word is OP is very pro-education and would like to help us get some kids to college.

Let’s hope he’s on our roster this year. Not healthy? Okay. Play Niang. Healthy? Well, we’d be hearing a lot more about whistling buttholes.
Seems like a guy that needs to be kept in moth-balls as much as possible would be perfect for spot duty.

I still think individual man defense is overrated. It's way more important to defend actions. Very rarely do you get a true 1 on 1 matchup, and when you do, the defense is likely going to pick out a switch anyways. You can prime Ron Artest, but if Mike Conley is on the floor....you're going to end up with Mike Conley guarding these guys when they attack.

Either way, it's not being solved by a buyout guy. I think RHJ is an excellent option against elite wings, but he's not going to see the court when it matters. It's going to be some combination of Royce, Ingles, Bojan, and Mitchell getting the main assignments.
Not a bad thought, unless the Jazz are better off keeping a guy on their assignment instead of switching and the game devolves into stars trading off-the-dribble 2s. Which playoff basketball and end-of-clock/game situations often do.

If the Jazz want to take a flier on a buy-low option, they could take a look at Jabari Parker. As a 9th or 10th man who plays for 10 minutes, he might pan out in the Jazz's system. He might be able to come in and make a few plays, given the spacing and ball movement the Jazz create.
Is he injured? How come he hasn’t played this year? Zanik would have a little bit of inside info on fit and personality stuff. He’s certainly be interesting, though.

Is he injured? How come he hasn’t played this year? Zanik would have a little bit of inside info on fit and personality stuff. He’s certainly be interesting, though.

He's currently in covid protocol. He's just a guy who could come in for Bogey for 5 minutes and attack the paint non-stop with the Jazz's spacing. Playing between Ingles and Gobert, the Jazz might be able to get it to work.

What's crazy is Jabari is still only 25. It feels like he should be 30.

I think the Sixers game gave a glimpse of how badly the Jazz can be abused by athletic giants that can handle the ball. If Royce is our best option defensively (and he was in a big way tonight), then that is not great.

both kevin knox and frank Ntilikina are out of Knicks rotation and may get bought out. if not, Knicks may give away picks to offload their contracts.

Not high on Ntilikina but Knox has all the tools to be a good shooter(38% from deep so far in the season) He's worth a look if we can get him for cheap. wouldn't mind seeing him in the niang role.

I think the Sixers game gave a glimpse of how badly the Jazz can be abused by athletic giants that can handle the ball. If Royce is our best option defensively (and he was in a big way tonight), then that is not great.
Screw that. We win easily without Conley and our bogey off. We good

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Talk is Griffin is getting bought out, well, well, well, he'd make a decent 9th man