What's new

Who's the ideal #1?

idiot

Assuming the Jazz's core is Markkanen, Kessler, and maybe some combination of Clarkson, Agbaji, and Sexton, what kind of player at number one would allow the Jazz to maximize what the rest of the core can give? Give me some current names in the league and (if, unlike me, you've paid attention to the draft) in the draft.

Aside from getting a generational talent (Doncic, for example), what kind of traits do we need? I'd say a big SF who is both a reliable creator but not completely ball dominant, and is also an excellent defender. Do any of these exist?

Assuming the Jazz's core is Markkanen, Kessler, and maybe some combination of Clarkson, Agbaji, and Sexton, what kind of player at number one would allow the Jazz to maximize what the rest of the core can give? Give me some current names in the league and (if, unlike me, you've paid attention to the draft) in the draft.

Aside from getting a generational talent (Doncic, for example), what kind of traits do we need? I'd say a big SF who is both a reliable creator but not completely ball dominant, and is also an excellent defender. Do any of these exist?
The answer is always prime Paul George. I don't think its like an OG Anunoby type. I think a prime Khris Middleton is like the lowest end type of player that it could be and be a contender with that group.

Maybe Jalen Brown but we need some passing still. Its a good thought exercise.

Larui and Kessler are the core, and then it's just an exercise on how to put the pieces around them that would round things out. The other 3 would need to have shooting and play making. Ideally you would have all good defenders, but could probably be ok if one or two were just average defenders. A healthy Lonzo Ball would do a lot of what you would need and make some of our current pieces possible.

Markkanen is the ideal #1 and is already on our team. We should be looking for an ideal #2. Someone like Khris Middleton or Jaylen Brown.
I get your thinking, but I don't think there's any way Brown would accept being a #2 behind Markkanen.

After glancing through a few of the mock drafts, and not having actually watched more than a couple of minutes of highlights for anyone, how do you all think Cam Whitmore would fit in the context of our team? (I can see the theory of Anthony Black as a good fit).

If actual Jaylen Brown has no problem being waaaaay behind Tatum as the 2, then I'm sure the fantasy one won't have an issue with being the much closer 2.

This Lauri (30/10, every night, with ease, efficiency and ability to go higher) is 1. Still, let's see if it's permanent. Sure looks like it.

Haliburton is a good choice, as a 1A or 1B to Lauri.

Someone like Jrue Holiday could be a solid 2 and then the starting 5 has super D - no matter who else is out there.

IMO, the best possible player would be a Chris Paul type.
A floor general that keeps everyone involved, gets the most of his teammates, sets a tone on defense, and can close games for you.
This type of player could make everyone of our future starters (Lauri, Walker, Ochai) so much better.
I also think this player is harder to find than a helo-centric offensive scorer.

After glancing through a few of the mock drafts, and not having actually watched more than a couple of minutes of highlights for anyone, how do you all think Cam Whitmore would fit in the context of our team? (I can see the theory of Anthony Black as a good fit).
Haven't watched him enough in real game action... My worry is everytime a guy comes out that people think is some version of Iggy it seems like they become Justise Winslow or Isaac Okoro. Not comping him to them but I am just not sure what he is and if he becomes more like Brown?

I can see Ainge wanting him and I get it. I would have him highly rated and he projects to be something we should need.

Ideally for your number 1 you want a perimeter player with good size for his position that is great at creating a clean look against tough defense and is a willing passer.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence I guess. I mean we have our #1 in Markkanen, our #2 in Clarkson and our #3 in Kessler. That’s a pretty strong core! But that’s not all, we’ve got all the accessory pieces to help them succeed as well. Patience please, Rome wasn’t built in a day my friends. (My biggest concern is that we don’t value Vando enough and that we trade him for an inferior product in Collins or someone else.)

Our biggest concerns right now roster-wise should be preparing for life without our aging point guard, Conley and resigning the “Magic Man” Clarkson. I think we take care of that and the rest will take care of itself personnel wise. But we should also prepare for the draft by clearing some cap space and creating a few slots imo.

Look how miserable those Clippers fans are after selling their souls for just the right one two and threes!

Last edited:
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence I guess. I mean we have our #1 in Markkanen, our #2 in Clarkson and our #3 in Kessler. That’s a pretty strong core! But that’s not all, we’ve got all the accessory pieces to help them succeed as well. Patience please, Rome wasn’t built in a day my friends. (My biggest concern is that we don’t value Vando enough and that we trade him for an inferior product in Collins or someone else.)

Our biggest concerns right now roster-wise should be preparing for life without our aging point guard, Conley and resigning the “Magic Man” Clarkson. I think we take care of that and the rest will take care of itself personnel wise. But we should also prepare for the draft by clearing some cap space and creating a few slots imo.

Look how miserable those Clippers fans are after selling their souls for just the right one two and threes!
Clarkson is not a number 2 and it is way too early to have Kessler penciled in as a number 3. Hell Clarkson may be gone this offseason.

I guess the question I would have is this: How would Wemby, Lauri, and Kessler do as a front line? Maybe we would also draft Cason Wallace or Turquavion Smith to add to our Sexton/Agbaji rotation. Does that give us a championship?

Our biggest concerns right now roster-wise should be preparing for life without our aging point guard, Conley and resigning the “Magic Man” Clarkson.

I don't wholly disagree, but I think our biggest concerns are getting better defensive players while not losing too much shooting and maintaining long-term ball movement once whatever magic Hardy is performing on the roster wears off (as it's bound to, to some degree).

Clarkson is not a number 2 and it is way too early to have Kessler penciled in as a number 3. Hell Clarkson may be gone this offseason.
Well you know what they say about opinions (including my own). All I know is that: a) he’s currently #8 in the initial NBA.com Clutch Player Award ladder, big shots every game, b) he’s our second leading scorer at 21 pts a game with solid %, c) he outplayed Mitchell and Harden on subsequent nights and then fared better than Mitchell had being covered by Jaden McDaniels.