What's new

Why are gun owners afraid to admit they own guns?

green

I’ve never gotten this.

I don’t own a gun. I have owned guns before and I will probably own guns in the future. I have no cares if you own one or not. BUT, why do gun owners freak out when they are asked if they own a gun?

Aren’t their guns recorded when they buy them? Why the fear of admiting you are a gun owner? I don’t understand it.

Who is going to come and take away your guns? Why do you care if a Dr. asks if you own a gun?

Maybe I just don’t understand. can any of you, who own guns and don’t like to tell people about it, help me understand this phenomenon?

Enlighten me.

No idea what you are talking about. Most gun owners I know love to tell people about their guns. Post pics of their guns on facebook.
I don't think I know anyone who owns a gun who tries to hide that fact.

I have a couple myself though I never use them and wouldn't care if I no longer had them.

No idea what you are talking about. Most gun owners I know love to tell people about their guns. Post pics of their guns on facebook.
I don't think I know anyone who owns a gun who tries to hide that fact.

I have a couple myself though I never use them and wouldn't care if I no longer had them.

The question came up because I know someone who freaked out when their Dr asked them if they have guns at home.

"It's none of their business!".

Why? Who cares if your Dr knows? If it helps prevent abuse, or save a life, what is wrong with that?

Guns are extremely dangerous. Some would say deadly. Why is it so bad that we treat them that way?

Shouldn't we require an accounting of all guns? Shouldn't we require gun owners to take training before buying a gun? Shouldn't we require gun owners to continually take training to keep their gun? Shouldn't we require them to be stored safely or they lose their guns?

What's wrong with all that? I have to take education every year to keep my license. I have to have my office clean and up to date with new information. I have to store things safely and sterilize instruments as to not injure other patients. There is nothing I do that can kill someone.

But a gun? STAY AWAY.

Why?

I’ve never gotten this.

I don’t own a gun. I have owned guns before and I will probably own guns in the future. I have no cares if you own one or not. BUT, why do gun owners freak out when they are asked if they own a gun?

Aren’t their guns recorded when they buy them? Why the fear of admiting you are a gun owner? I don’t understand it.

Who is going to come and take away your guns? Why do you care if a Dr. asks if you own a gun?

Maybe I just don’t understand. can any of you, who own guns and don’t like to tell people about it, help me understand this phenomenon?

Enlighten me.
I wouldn't think of it. Anyone who asks questions like this is outta reach to ordinary reality.

but here's what I heard on the street, sheer stupidity of course.

The question is why any doctor, or dentist, needs to know shsit like that. Don't you have enough to do as it is?

oh, it gets into the records right beside classifications of disabilities and stuff, for the convenience of managerial folks with jackboots, guns, and swat team gear, so all is needed is for some bureaucrat to decide that folks with dentures are doubtfully competent to aim a gun.... so here's your list of indentured citizens and today you go round up their weapons, for their own good of course.

generally speaking, the peon gunslingers know nothing about managerial methods and reasoning, so of course they don't care to fill out your forms either.

The question came up because I know someone who freaked out when their Dr asked them if they have guns at home.

Why? Who cares if your Dr knows? If it helps prevent abuse, or save a life, what is wrong with that?

Guns are extremely dangerous. Some would say deadly. Why is it so bad that we treat them that way?

Shouldn't we require an accounting of all guns? Shouldn't we require gun owners to take training before buying a gun? Shouldn't we require gun owners to continually take training to keep their gun? Shouldn't we require them to be stored safely or they lose their guns?

What's wrong with all that? I have to take education every year to keep my license. I have to have my office clean and up to date with new information. I have to store things safely and sterilize instruments as to not injure other patients. There is nothing I do that can kill someone.

But a gun? STAY AWAY.

Why?
Probably should just ask that person that you know.
I don't find it common for people who own guns to try to hide the fact.

For some it is fear. Fear that the government will take them.

For some it is simply a sense of "none of your business". it really isn't a Drs. business. I have never had a doctor ask me.

I wouldn't think of it. Anyone who asks questions like this is outta reach to ordinary reality.

but here's what I heard on the street, sheer stupidity of course.

The question is why any doctor, or dentist, needs to know shsit like that. Don't you have enough to do as it is?

oh, it gets into the records right beside classifications of disabilities and stuff, for the convenience of managerial folks with jackboots, guns, and swat team gear, so all is needed is for some bureaucrat to decide that folks with dentures are doubtfully competent to aim a gun.... so here's your list of indentured citizens and today you go round up their weapons, for their own good of course.

generally speaking, the peon gunslingers know nothing about managerial methods and reasoning, so of course they don't care to fill out your forms either.

This is what I'm talking about.

Why would a Dr need to know? BECAUSE IT IS A GUN. It's dangerous.

Yeah, if you are an old person with dentures, and have mental health issues, we SHOULD round up your guns. You are not capable to own a gun.

Why is it ok to take away a person's driver's license, but heaven forbid if we touch their guns!

By knowing if a gun is in the house, we can access the risk of someone being killed by the gun. There is nothing wrong with that.

By knowing if a gun is in the house, we can know how important it is to respond to a situation. We can know if A, B and C are happening on a emergency call, and there is a gun in the house, we need to get police over there quicker than if there is no gun in the house.

We can know if ambulance personnel need to worry about their personal safety when they respond.

We can alert the Dr to look for additional signs of abuse, as when A, B and C are in a kid's life, the risk of abuse is higher.

Why are we ok with having risk signs for heart disease, COPD, etc and helping patients avoid those situations, but when it comes to guns and saving lives, NO WAY!

I don't understand it.

Probably should just ask that person that you know.
I don't find it common for people who own guns to try to hide the fact.

Go ask your gun owning friends what they tell their Dr's when asked if they have a gun.

For some it is fear. Fear that the government will take them.

For some it is simply a sense of "none of your business". it really isn't a Drs. business. I have never had a doctor ask me.

Why is it none of their business? Guns are deadly. They can kill people.

They are an indicator of abuse in the home.

It SHOULD be EVERYONE's business. I expect a car owner to have insurance, to have a license, to drive a certain way, to have a car that can safely drive on the road, etc.

But a gun, that can kill me easier than a car...well, that is none of my business.

That doesn't make sense.

But a gun? STAY AWAY.

Why?

You answered your own question. Those that want a registry generally do want to take people's guns away from them. You would have no problem with the government using the gun registry to round up all the guns or maybe just "assault weapons". I bet you would vote for a politician that advocated for it.

You're being intellectually dishonest. Ultimately you would like to see guns banned. You see a registry as a step in the right direction. Other people disagree with you. They don't want guns banned. You call them crazy for thinking that your ultimate intentions are exactly what they are.

Go ask your gun owning friends what they tell their Dr's when asked if they have a gun.
I doubt any of them has been asked that by their doctor.
I never have been asked that question by my doctor.

It SHOULD be EVERYONE's business. I expect a car owner to have insurance, to have a license, to drive a certain way, to have a car that can safely drive on the road, etc.

But a gun, that can kill me easier than a car...well, that is none of my business.

That doesn't make sense.

I don't own any guns, and agree with some of the points you make, but...

Guns are an indicator of abuse in the home? Since when? At best I think you can say that if there's abuse, the presence of a gun can make it turn deadly more easily.

And if I ever had a doctor ask me if I had a gun (which I haven't), I'd probably say "None of your business". Guns being able to kill someone don't make them a medical issue any more than, say, a power tool (nail gun?) being able to kill someone.

Also, you don't have a constitutional right to drive a car, whereas you do have a constitutional right to bear arms. That's why gun licensing isn't the same as car licensing.

That being said, I do think that additional restrictions/requirements should be made in the sale and purchase of guns.

StrawMan2.jpg

That doesn't make sense.

This has gotta be a troll. Nobody can be that ****ing stupid.

Was going to reply but Fish, Colton and Alt13 took care of it.

You want it to be everyone's business on who owns guns? Well to bad, it's not.

Despite the chance that someone might do something bad with it.

To address something stated in the OP...

There is no database of gun sales.

There is no database that tells the government who owns what guns.

Any such recording and registering is done at the state level and most states do not require gun registration.

The paperwork involved in background checks is only kept for a few weeks before being destroyed.

One last time, there is no national registry of gun ownership.

It is super annoying that anti-gun people are so ignorant about guns. It reminds me of the Utah legislature and how they legislate alcohol when they are completely ignorant on the subject. It results in stupid and mostly meaningless and ineffective laws.

To address something stated in the OP...

There is no database of gun sales.

There is no database that tells the government who owns what guns.

Any such recording and registering is done at the state level and most states do not require gun registration.

The paperwork involved in background checks is only kept for a few weeks before being destroyed.

One last time, there is no national registry of gun ownership.

It is super annoying that anti-gun people are so ignorant about guns. It reminds me of the Utah legislature and how they legislate alcohol when they are completely ignorant on the subject. It results in stupid and mostly meaningless and ineffective laws.

How dare you!

The Zion Curtain is an important piece of legislation that has protected millions of Utahns from irresponsible restaurateurs.

I don’t feel we have enough information to make any kind of judgment here. Did your friend specify what kind of doctor asked him if he owned a gun? Maybe it was his psychiatrist and he has suicidal issues they’re trying to work out? In that case it’s a legit question and the doctor probably just wanted to ensure that if he did have guns in the home they were not overly easy and impulsively accessible. Storing guns in a gun cabinet under lock and key could be just enough deterant to assuage a dark impulse. Thumbs up to the doctor for his good counsel. Doctors have probably saved more than a few lives by following such a sensible and caring line of inquiry.