What's new

Why not just let Israel go for it and put an end to the nonsense?

From what I understand this vote will give Palestine the ability to take Israel to the war crimes court.

So Hypothetical:

They go to that court and Israel or an Israeli citizen gets convicted. The UN asks that he be handed over and Israel gives them the bird. Then what? Let's say that that person goes to the U.S., Canada or Germany (all countries against this vote). Does that country arrest him? What if they refuse? What does that do for any attempt at UN legitimacy?

If they could get the votes they might start some kind of sanctions. That seems to be what the UN does.

International Criminal Court is a through and through hypothetical constitution of U.N and the only cases they investigated and convicted so far third world countries war criminals and it can count on the fingers of one hand*. The court is just the last resort and can only prosecute&investigate in the situations where national court fails and in advanced democracies that fail is not a high possibility (what is fail and what is not is open to comment) to happen and it don't have so much sanction power with its current legislation.

But it's not just that, Palestine was just a "non-member observer entity" for U.N and from now on they are a "non-member observer state" and that's a huge upgrade. They are actually a legitimate state for U.N. but non-member just like Switzerland. Only difference Switzerland choose to be a non-member but Palestine still didn't get the opportunity of choosing it and its the possible next step.

*ICC investigations so far (July 2012)
2s9aohf.png

Green: Official investigations (Uganda, Congo, Central African Republic, Darfur (Sudan), Kenya, Libya, and Côte d'Ivoire)
Light red: Ongoing preliminary examinations (Afghanistan, Colombia, Guinea, Georgia, Honduras, Mali, Nigeria, Palestine and Korea
Dark red: Closed preliminary examinations (Iraq and Venezuela)

Source: ICCmemberstatesworldmap102007.png

Last edited:
From what I understand this vote will give Palestine the ability to take Israel to the war crimes court.

So Hypothetical:

They go to that court and Israel or an Israeli citizen gets convicted. The UN asks that he be handed over and Israel gives them the bird. Then what? Let's say that that person goes to the U.S., Canada or Germany (all countries against this vote). Does that country arrest him? What if they refuse? What does that do for any attempt at UN legitimacy?

the un is a paper tiger.

cant do **** when it matters.

in what kinda world is the un a good idea.

belguim un soldiers had to witness while a man in rwanda chases down a woman with a baby and machette
kill and rape the woman. while the baby is tossed aside.
after the guy was done raping.
he took the baby by his feet and smashed him against a three.
all this while the un soldier armed to the teeth could do nothing. if you ask me that soldier is a coward and a *****. i would have atleast give the woman protection.
at worst shot the man in the dick

if he did something he would be court martialed.
so yeah **** the un.
dismantle the un.
israel aint afraid of the un.