What's new

Wiggins vs Love

Should the Cavs trade Wiggins for Love?

• Total voters
keep wiggins, they can win just fine with this roster

wait one year and take love for free
Good point.
I was listening to the radio this morning and they were saying that kevin love wants to go to cleveland and when he is an unrestricted free agent next year he will go to cleveland anyways.

So cleveland can keep all thier guys anyway and still get love.

Plus cleveland probably need lebron to develop some chemistry with his cleveland coaches and teammates this season (and would need to do this even if they got love now) before they have a chance to win the title.

Might as well wait till next year..... or trade for him at the trade deadline when minny is more desperate and dropping the price

keep wiggins, they can win just fine with this roster

wait one year and take love for free

1- They can't risk losing Love to LA.

2- I'm not a salary cap expert, but with Kyrie's new contract kicking in, LBJ on the books, and an assortment of young players earning 5-7 million, I don't think they could fit him in under the cap.

According to Hoops Hype:

Lebron - 21.5
Bennett- 5.8 (TO)
Thompson- 7.1
Wiggins- 4.8
Dion Waiters- 5.1 (TO)
Joe Harris - 1
Irving- 18

That's 63.3 Million listed on Hoops Hype. Even with the cap rising again next year, and releasing Waiters and Bennett (which they won't do) there is NO way they could offer Love the max deal he wants. I've heard this idea floated around but I don't see how it could happen.

1- They can't risk losing Love to LA.

2- I'm not a salary cap expert, but with Kyrie's new contract kicking in, LBJ on the books, and an assortment of young players earning 5-7 million, I don't think they could fit him in under the cap.

According to Hoops Hype:

Lebron - 21.5
Bennett- 5.8 (TO)
Thompson- 7.1
Wiggins- 4.8
Dion Waiters- 5.1 (TO)
Joe Harris - 1
Irving- 18

That's 63.3 Million listed on Hoops Hype. Even with the cap rising again next year, and releasing Waiters and Bennett (which they won't do) there is NO way they could offer Love the max deal he wants. I've heard this idea floated around but I don't see how it could happen.
Maybe love wants to win more than he wants to get paid?

Going to the lakers isnt much of an ugrade in winning from minnesota.

Maybe he takes a pay cut to play with the best player in the game and get carried to a title

Cleveland won't be able to add Love next year without crippling everything else.

If 18 is really the starting salary for a Derrick Rose provision 5 year extension assuming the cap is around 66.5 then you'd have to slot 9 min salary slots around .5 each.

That adds up to $44M which leaves $22.5M in cap space to sign Love. His max starting salary would be the same as Irving in that case, leaving $4.5M in remaining cap room or additional to the min salary for an existing contract. They just don't have a single player who'd slotted at $5M for 15/16.

If you add that up to all their existing contracts they'd still have to send away everyone to sign Love via capspace.

S&T is only possible with Minny until they renounce their bird rights to get him off their cap(They won't)

So simplified: It won't happen.
It might happen later this season, but if they don't do work there, they can only add players via MLE next year.

Reactions: ema
no brainer...

kevin love averaged 26pts per game for a reason...he's one of the best players in the game right now. He can stretch the floor and open the game up for lebron.

Kevin Love and Lebron James and kyrie would be an insane combo.

wiggins needs time....but lebron wants to win NOW.

and Love offers you the ability to win RIGHT NOW.

Reactions: ema
I wouldn't give it a second thought. When you have a team in a position like Cleveland is now, you should be in all-in mode. Championships are extremely hard to come by, and when you're in a good spot to win one, you have to go for it, future be damned. I think you pull the trigger with the confidence that you're taking your best shot at winning a ring.

Maybe he takes a pay cut to play with the best player in the game and get carried to a title

....carried to a title? Without Love, Lebron does not win the title next year.....may not even get to the finals. With Love, they are even money to win the Eastern Conference and about the same to reach the finals. Love needs Lebron, but Lebron needs Love if he wants to even sniff a title next year! Basketball is and always will be a team sport......one guy can't cut the mustard! 5 guys, playing on the same page, with a decent measure of athletic ability will get you much farther than a couple of superstar guys who try to do it all themselves.

How about this excellent observation! "The 2014 NBA champion Spurs had a game plan: exploit the Heat’s Big 3. The Spurs forced the one dimensional game plan of a Big 3 concept of one man basketball into exhaustion, while the versatile players of the Spurs could take turns on the offensive end to see who had the best situation to score along with ball movement and off the ball movement from every player.

While James was forced to carry the majority of the offensive load, the Spurs shared the basketball while forcing every opposing player (including James) to play defense with little to no rest while he was on the court. We saw offensive explosions from Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, and other role players while they were playing alongside the Spurs’ best players, something that cannot be said of a predictable system of the old Spurs Big 3 system that many teams are trying to copy this upcoming season.

Even a Big 4 system that the Miami Heat are trying to construct wouldn’t answer a balanced system like San Antonio. The problem with the Heat in the Finals wasn’t the best three players, but players 4-10 on the playoff rotation. There was no contributions like the Spurs’ rotational players from the Heat,, nor any opposing team that the team met in the playoffs.

Why is the NBA still in love with a Big 3 system over a balanced overall team? There’s no clear answer to that, especially with the NBA champions coming into next season with the same team that dominated the majoriy of the playoffs. There’s one thing for sure before the season starts, and that is the Spurs are the favorites to win another Larry O’Brien trophy, because the league is choosing not to adapt to the defending champions."

I think the theory was to add Love to the rising talent of Irving and the best player LBJ to construct an unbeatable big 3. I mean those are considerably top 3 players in their slots. The problem here is Clevelands offense isn't run through KL like it was in Minnesota. Therefor the ball isn't run through him as often and his stats fall. I'm not even going to tap into the chemistry and ego problems. I mean if it was as simple as adding ideal stats to a slot it would be a lot easier to construct championship teams.

Losing Wiggins means they won't have that talent to build around if this big 3 doesn't pan out.

Risky. That seems to be the conclusion.

Love doesn't seem to be working out very well for Cleveland, at the same time Wiggins hasn't really displayed a superstar level that most do in their first season or two. Still time either way if you ask me.

I was under the impression they did it for Lebron. He may have said I won't come unless you add some all-stars to the roster or some such thing.

To get Lebron it's possible they were forced into this decision.

I was under the impression they did it for Lebron. He may have said I won't come unless you add some all-stars to the roster or some such thing.

To get Lebron it's possible they were forced into this decision.
Yeah, LeBron was very vocal about wanting Love.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk