What's new

With the Fifth Pick... Dante Exum

LOVE this pick. When were the Jazz the best? Stockton and Horny in the back court.. TB, Exum and Burks will be a terrific 3 man rotation on the guard line. This has the potential to eventually be one of the best best back court rotations we have ever had. Hayward and Exum can both play the 3 as well. Exum and Hayward can be a very big back court.. Very exciting options.

I agree. Based upon current events, this is our depth chart this season:

PG: Trey Burke/Danté Exum, Draft Pick (23/35)

SG: Alec Burks/Danté Exum

SF: Gordon Hayward (re-sign), Draft Pick (23/35)

PF: Enes Kanter, Jeremy Evans

C: Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert

I like the pick. I trust the front office. And with rumors that they have been keeping an eye on him for a couple of years makes me think they know exactly what they are doing. But you do have to wonder with his competition the past year, just how good he can be. But if comparisons to Jordan are correct. Oh mama!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why complicate things? If you need a centre, you draft a freaking centre. You don't draft a small forward, then trade your current small forward for dimes on the dollar to get a centre. You draft a freaking centre. Good grief, it's not that complicated.

Isn't this what the Blazers did with Oden over Durant? We all know how that turned out. How about them also passing on Jordan for Bowie? You take the BPA.

Why complicate things? If you need a centre, you draft a freaking centre. You don't draft a small forward, then trade your current small forward for dimes on the dollar to get a centre. You draft a freaking centre. Good grief, it's not that complicated.

With all due respect, that type of attitude would have landed the Miami Heat Chris Kaman instead of Dwayne Wade. You draft the best player on your board and don't convince yourself that the other guy is better because he fills an immediate need. In professional sports, you never know exactly what your needs will be 2-3 years down the road. You always pick the best players.

What's the point of an evaluation process if you ignore that process? It's not that hard to fill needs in free agency, and every team needs depth. Drafting the best players gives you the best chance for success long-term. It's clear that we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think that good front offices ever jump their board to fill a need.

My problem isn't that I don't trust the office to evaluate talent, my problem is that the whole approach is wrong. Picking the best player available is a bad idea. You fill needs. The Jazz don't need a PG or a SG.

Drafting to fill needs is the dumbest concept ever in the NBA. Total absolute stupidty.

Drafting "need" blinds you to possibilities. History has not been kind to NBA teams who draft on "need."

images

I think that we get either Cleanthony Early or Kyle Anderson at 23. Mark. It. Down.

I'd be fine with either of them, but would prefer Anderson. Not sure if he can play defense at the NBA level, but he's a really smart player. They seem to want high BBIQ guys on this team. Think Exum and Anderson both fit that bill.

My problem isn't that I don't trust the office to evaluate talent, my problem is that the whole approach is wrong. Picking the best player available is a bad idea. You fill needs. The Jazz don't need a PG or a SG.

By chance do you run the Charlotte Bobcats?

SF: Rodney Hood
SG: Gary Harris
PF: Clint Capela
SF: Kyle Anderson
SF: K. J. McDaniels
PG: Tyler Ennis
SF: Cleanthony Early
SG: C. J. Wilcox

still some pretty good players left on the board. Hoping for one of the better ones to slip to #23.