What's new

Woj: Don to the Cavs for Markkanen, Agbaji, Sexton, three unprotected 1sts, two swaps, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Great trade. Jazz have 13 first rounders between now and 2029. Plus like 3 or 4 pick swaps right? Plus malik beasely, vanderbilt, sexton, markannen, and that big tall dude drafted this summer (cant remember his name) as promising young players. Maybe that THT dude has some promise too. Not a bad haul.

It was hilarious listening to Knicks podcaster talking about how they could only do 2 unprotecteds and honestly they'd need to keep RJ, Obi, and Grimes... and LA can kick in some picks... I just wanted to yell... We were providing all the value in those scenarios... why the Lakers paying your tab.

You don't get to keep everything you want if you want a star... Someone will go all in and if you only make B- offers then good luck in the lotto.
Yep. Now if we go and get the Lakers two picks I am pronouncing Danny Ainge a basketball god and renouncing atheism. :D

I think the Cavs will end up regretting this trade.
Maybe. At what point do they regret this? I would think only if there are no finals appearance(s) or championships before Donovan leaves or gets injured. The Cavs are definitely one of the best teams in the East now and have the potential to go very far.

Yeah, but it required someone to go all in (basically). I underestimated how quickly the Cavs wanted to put the timeline of contention up.
They've ****ed up their timeline before by going too quick, but they probably timed this correctly as they were already on the cusp of breaking out.

Glad this is finally done, at least the major pieces. Conley, Bogey, Clarkson I expect all will be moving soon.

Transitioning from rooting for a team with high expectations, to a tanking team, actually feels like a relief. High expectations change everything. It will be nice to watch a Jazz game now and not be devestated about a loss.

It was hilarious listening to Knicks podcaster talking about how they could only do 2 unprotecteds and honestly they'd need to keep RJ, Obi, and Grimes... and LA can kick in some picks... I just wanted to yell... We were providing all the value in those scenarios... why the Lakers paying your tab.

You don't get to keep everything you want if you want a star... Someone will go all in and if you only make B- offers then good luck in the lotto.
The stupidest part of all of this is if the Knicks are so great at drafting in the mid and late 1st round, then selling off your unprotected picks for a star is the smart thing, right? You still have all these rounds in the chamber to build a real team.

But that's just it, the Knicks don't want to build a real team. They want to shortcut there, and that's one of the reasons they're the Knicks.

They've ****ed up their timeline before by going too quick, but they probably timed this correctly as they were already on the cusp of breaking out.

I agree. IMO this is pretty flawless by Cleveland. Hard to ever bet on a superstar re-signing, but giving Garland + Mobley 3 years to continue to get better gives them as good a chance as they could hope for. They'll have 1-2 real contender years in the East before he hits FA and they roll the dice thereafter.

I think the Cavs are going to be good. Not sure how good of pics we will get out of this trade
Most important part of this whole summer is that OUR OWN picks be really good in the next 2-3 years. We use all those other teams picks to get the best role players possible around the stars we draft with our own picks. Thats what we are hoping for anyway. Or we use some of those picks to trade for good players to put around our stars. Or hell, we could even use a bunch of picks to get a start like cleveland and minnesota did. Lots of options now. And we have a GM that is about as good as any in the league. I feel good.

Yep. Now if we go and get the Lakers two picks I am pronouncing Danny Ainge a basketball god and renouncing atheism. :D
I mean... it feels more like they need to do that than it being a bonus. The roster really doesn't make sense now and there will be all of this languishing vet value hanging around.

I wish Danny could've made a down payment to be sure that all parties were committed to an idea already discussed at length.

I mean... it feels more like they need to do that than it being a bonus. The roster really doesn't make sense now and there will be all of this languishing vet value hanging around.

I wish Danny could've made a down payment to be sure that all parties were committed to an idea already discussed at length.
Oh, more trades are bound to happen. I cannot imagine we enter the season with this roster.

I’m over the moon that we gave the Knicks the finger. Was kind of hoping we would do a deal with Washington or Orlando. Not sure the picks from Cleveland will amount to much. If Cleveland can keep their core young players and Mitchell buys in, they’re going to be very good for a long time. Kind of think Agbaji was the prize here. Not that excited about Lauri, or Sexton, but I’m fine with giving them lots of minutes and flipping them for more value down the road. Excited to see where the rest of the Jazz vets land, and how much we get back.