What's new

[Woj] Donovan Mitchell signs 5/195M max designated rookie extension with the Jazz

$163,000,000 guaranteed. I love the game but the money is just absurd. Not saying he doesn't deserve it and obviously the owners can afford it but minimum wage is still only $7.25/hour. I think minimum wage was around $5/hour in the late 80's. I saw this morning that the number of Americans struggling to feed themselves has gone from 10 million to 30 million since the start of coronavirus. Sorry to be a downer and happy for Donovan's success but it's just shocking how much disparity there is, especially compared to about 40 years ago.
I hear what you're saying, but there are two sides to this. The players make a lot of money, but the owners get half of it too. Not to mention that the owners see the valuation of their franchises rise.

At the end of the day, the players are still employees. The reason why they make so much money is 1) because they produce that much capital and 2) because they have the collective bargaining power to negotiate against the owners for "fair" pay. The NBA is a great example of how unionizing can increase the power of labor versus capital owners. The common worker should identify more with the players than an owner like Larry Miller, for example, who saw his wealth explode.

Yes, let’s please not have some perspective about how unimportant sports are and how important income inequality is in a failing society.
The jazz just locked up Mitchell, one of the more talented and exciting players in the league. I want to feel good about it as a jazz fan. If you have issues start a thread on this whole inequality issue so I can avoid it.

I’m not blind to it. I work long hours every day to bring a better quality life people that can’t take care of themselves. Do I feel I deserve a bigger piece of the pie, Yes. I could dwell on it but that just makes someone bitter. I can still enjoy life on the peanuts I make. Sports are a part of that. I don’t play sports anymore. Old and fat as hell and everything hurts. But it’s made me who I am and I’m good.

Don!!! Damn proud that you’re a member of the jazz and this community, and everything he’s done for this community. At least five more years. Now hopefully we get 5 more years of DM paired with Gobert.

I hear what you're saying, but there are two sides to this. The players make a lot of money, but the owners get half of it too. Not to mention that the owners see the valuation of their franchises rise.

At the end of the day, the players are still employees. The reason why they make so much money is 1) because they produce that much capital and 2) because they have the collective bargaining power to negotiate against the owners for "fair" pay. The NBA is a great example of how unionizing can increase the power of labor versus capital owners.
There shouldn’t be this much money in sports, period. If sports are a way to make the everyday lives of citizens a little better, then have cities own the teams, stop wildly inflating ticket prices, and broadcast games on local television.

Billions of dollars a year could be used towards materially improving the world instead of making billionaires and millionaires more money, and using taxpayer money to build stadiums.

But yeah, players should get a fair share for sure. Ain’t nothing fair about anybody making that kind of money though, at least not while we face the most dire, existential threat to the planet in the entire anthropocene and can hardly seem to muster any resources to try and stop it.

There shouldn’t be this much money in sports, period. If sports are a way to make the everyday lives of citizens a little better, then have cities own the teams, stop wildly inflating ticket prices, and broadcast games on local television.

Billions of dollars a year could be used towards materially improving the world instead of making billionaires and millionaires more money, and using taxpayer money to build stadiums.
Last I heard this is a free country and they aren’t taking this business from its owners. Lol. That’s just idiotic.

Just curious. Does this really bother you? Not making fun.

Just curious. Does this really bother you? Not making fun.
Um. Yes. We have unbelievable collective resources in this nation but are addicted to dumping them into bull ****.

The middle and lower-classes are going to increasingly squabble and tear apart the fabric of our society for a share of what we’ve been losing for 40 years, while the rich rig the system and count their cash and the world careens toward global ecological collapse.

2020 isn’t a cursed year, it’s a product of an increasingly reckless society that will increasingly fail in the face of increasing problems.

But yeah, players should get a fair share for sure. Ain’t nothing fair about anybody making that kind of money though, at least not while we face the most dire, existential threat to the planet in the entire anthropocene and can hardly seem to muster any resources to try and stop it.

I mean, the obvious answer here is that wealth should be taxed appropriately to give a more equitable and fair distribution to everyone. It's all about the power of capital. Capital is what allows the owners to pay less taxes and also take taxes from the community.

But yeah, go basketball! I’m addicted. I will continue to not contribute a dime to enjoy it.

I mean, the obvious answer here is that wealth should be taxed appropriately to give a more equitable and fair distribution to everyone. It's all about the power of capital. Capital is what allows the owners to pay less taxes and also take taxes from the community.
That is better also.

I propose we move the discussion about the "obscene money" to the Haywood new contract thread. Yes, sure, world is not right. But at least Donovan seems like a person who will do plenty of good with that money and will try to give back to community.

Um. Yes. We have unbelievable collective resources in this nation but are addicted to dumping them into bull ****.

The middle and lower-classes are going to increasingly squabble and tear apart the fabric of our society for a share of what we’ve been losing for 40 years, while the rich rig the system and count their cash and the world careens toward global ecological collapse.

2020 isn’t a cursed year, it’s a product of an increasingly reckless society that will increasingly fail in the face of increasing problems.
I get it the world is evil and mercilessand dumps on cats like you and I. What do you suggest we do, I’m not sure there’s much we the little guy can do other than live well and in the immortal words of George Costanza. There’s no chance of that. Lol

stalin.gif

$163,000,000 guaranteed. I love the game but the money is just absurd. Not saying he doesn't deserve it and obviously the owners can afford it but minimum wage is still only $7.25/hour. I think minimum wage was around $5/hour in the late 80's. I saw this morning that the number of Americans struggling to feed themselves has gone from 10 million to 30 million since the start of coronavirus. Sorry to be a downer and happy for Donovan's success but it's just shocking how much disparity there is, especially compared to about 40 years ago.
I don't think you have to apologize for anything. I think your post is spot on. America should be embarrassed with the income inequality that has existed in the country for too long. I am so happy for DM he deserves it and has worked on his game and shown that he is a franchise type player.

Last edited: