What's new

World Cup Thread

Holy moly Netherlands up 2-1 and Brazil just went down a man to a red card. Am I prophetic?

Booooyeah!!!!! Holland upsets the heavyweight Brazil side! Great way to start the weekend, if you're a pasty white guy like me.

Wow, wow, and wow. I was sure Brazil would make the final. What a meltdown. Overall, Brazil's offense is comparable to any of the heavyweights, but they are usually so rock solid on defense - not his game though.

Ghana and Uruguay tied in the 64'. Any chance South America has NO team in the finals?

Uruguay vs Ghana

Incredible game.

Last edited by a moderator:
The end of that game was crazy. If Gyan hits that penalty at the end of overtime, Ghana moves on. Instead, Uruguay's keeper comes up big in the shootout (admittedly, those weren't the most deadly shots I've ever seen...) and they go to the semis. Not good for them to be minus Suarez.

Dirk Kuyt's touch on the second goal was a thing of beauty.

The ending of the Ghana game was insane. Uruguay is kind of an easy team to hate, I had money on them and was still rooting against them.

UB needs to put up a new RSL thread. Looking to repeat.

True that.
At least The Netherlands took care of business today.
I would love to see Netherlands vs. Brazil.
Argentina vs. Germany is going to be an incredible match.
And we've got a massive match coming up with Spain vs. Portugal.

Here are my picks:

Rd 16
Brazil smokes Chili (that match starts an hour from now)
Paraguay beats Japan
Spain beats Portugal on penalty kicks

Quarters
Uruguay beats Ghana
Netherlands beats Brazil (hey I can hope)
Argentina decimates Germany
Spain crushes Paraguay

Semis
Netherlands beats Uruguay
Argentina beats Spain

Final
Netherlands beats Argentina

I know I know it's a pipe dream to see the Netherlands make it but it's time for the Orange to win their first big one

Well shoot. Who would have thunk I'd get Argentina/Germany wrong and Netherlands/Brazil right? Dangit.
Well that's OK I've got every match right EXCEPT that one.
I really would like to see Spain beat Argentina and Netherlands pound Uruguay so we could have two countries in the final that have never won the World Cup before. That would be pretty sweet.

Well shoot. Who would have thunk I'd get Argentina/Germany wrong and Netherlands/Brazil right? Dangit.
Well that's OK I've got every match right EXCEPT that one.
I really would like to see Spain beat Argentina and Netherlands pound Uruguay so we could have two countries in the final that have never won the World Cup before. That would be pretty sweet.

Argentina, eh?

If Spain and Germany both play like they have been lately, Spain is going to get slapped around. Germany is on a tear. Spain needs to step it considerably.

Bad mistake by Netherlands goalie. That was a great strike but that should have been stopped. All tied up. Wonder who will win?

I know I rooted for the Dutch earlier, but that game pissed me off. Forlan is the goddamn man, hands down sweetest shot I've seen in the Cup.

soc_a_spain11_576.jpg

Go Spain.