What's new

World travel

Just did a bunch of trips. A few cool places but mostly highlighted by going back to China.

Next month I'm doing a big week long safari in Tanzania with friends flying in from a few countries. I'm pretty excited, although a few rowdy drinking friends are coming and expecting me to keep up. That could be trouble, I'm getting old. Plus I want to enjoy the views and experience more than partying this trip.

Oddly I bid on a trip not expecting to get but did. I'm going to Jordan next month as well. I never expected to go there. But after some research I'm looking forward to it! After going to Oman and it being much better than expected I have some hopes for this trip. I have always wanted to go to the dead sea and this is probably the only side place safe to visit. Plus Ammon has some pretty cool historical sites and I'm staying at some nice hotels.

How was the drunken safari?

How was the drunken safari?
I'm going next week! It should be fun. I have 6 friends flying to Ethiopia to meet up and travel to Tanzania together for a 5 day safari and then a few days on the beach in Zanzibar.

I just got back from Jordan yesterday, which was nicer than expected.

Views of the dead sea from my hotel. I have other pictures I was going to post, but we got some creeps on here so I didn't want pics of me and the wife.

Attachments

• mmexport1722422349929.jpg
    mmexport1722422349929.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 3
Never paid attention at all to my sky miles but recently my wife blew my mind when she told me she is getting close to million-miler status(875,000) with Delta. We guesstimated that she's probably at around 1-1.2 million including other airlines, which means I'm probably at around 1.2-1.5 million. Trying to wrap my head around it, had no idea.

Is that annually or life time?

I'm pretty sure I'm over a million miles life time, but not anywhere close to that annually. Luckily my current job I don't travel nearly as much as I used to.

That's lifetime. Can't imagine a million in a year.

That's what I thought, but wasn't 100% sure. I'm guessing it's very difficult to rack up a million miles in a year, but there are probably international travelers who do that. For one of my jobs I traveled internationally every other month and had a couple hundred thousand miles in a year. I'm very glad I don't do that anymore.

That's what I thought, but wasn't 100% sure. I'm guessing it's very difficult to rack up a million miles in a year, but there are probably international travelers who do that. For one of my jobs I traveled internationally every other month and had a couple hundred thousand miles in a year. I'm very glad I don't do that anymore.
I built up about a million in a 4 year span there a while back. I felt like I was always on a plane. I totally came to understand the douchy guys that immediately pull out their laptops and type through the entire flight. I would download emails to my computer and answer them on the flight, then connect to WiFi and let them all send when I arrived, otherwise I lost too much work time and got behind. I do not envy those folks racking up over a million in a single year, or shorter. Cannot imagine how they get anything done.

I built up about a million in a 4 year span there a while back. I felt like I was always on a plane. I totally came to understand the douchy guys that immediately pull out their laptops and type through the entire flight. I would download emails to my computer and answer them on the flight, then connect to WiFi and let them all send when I arrived, otherwise I lost too much work time and got behind. I do not envy those folks racking up over a million in a single year, or shorter. Cannot imagine how they get anything done.

Traveling for work is awful. I got to some cool places, but you don't really get to see them, so it's not that exciting. Like you said it's hard to keep on top of work when you are traveling, it's like taking PTO, but you don't get to be on vacation. Mostly I miss my family and feel like I'm letting them down by not being there, but I also get air sick and can't sleep in hotels. The only part of traveling for work I really enjoy is rental cars. I enjoy extended test drives of different vehicles.

I specifically left a job I really loved and had worked up to getting because I couldn't handle the international travel.

Back