What's new

WTF happened to rap?

Here you go

Well it is not really a rap isn't it? "Critics lauded the album's blending of the R&B, doo-***, pop, hip-hop, and reggae genres".... Hill herself said "that she wanted to "write songs that lyrically move me and have the integrity of reggae and the knock of hip-hop and the instrumentation of classic soul" and that the production on the album was intended to make the music sound raw and not computer-aided".

Well it is not really a rap isn't it? "Critics lauded the album's blending of the R&B, doo-***, pop, hip-hop, and reggae genres".... Hill herself said "that she wanted to "write songs that lyrically move me and have the integrity of reggae and the knock of hip-hop and the instrumentation of classic soul" and that the production on the album was intended to make the music sound raw and not computer-aided".
I mean, she raps in the song so...

Is this music @MVP ?

I have been into Tumi and the Volume like the last month. They are so good. Not that new though, their albums are 2006 and 2010.

Is this music @MVP ?

I have been into Tumi and the Volume like the last month. They are so good. Not that new though, their albums are 2006 and 2010.

Here instrumental part is perfectly fine. Don't like the vocals though. But, yes, this is music.

The oldest old-school rap was groups like Sugar Hill Gang and Grandmaster Flash followed by Run DMC. Then it was Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest, Eric B & Rakim, Jungle Bros., etc. A lot of it was street inspired and about raising social consciousness. Some of it was just party music and dance music. Some rap went mainstream/pop like Sir Mixalot, Kris Kross, freaking MC Hammer, 2 Live Crew, etc. Gangsta Rap started with NWA, 2 Short and spin-offs of NWA like Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and Snoop. Rap has been predominantly gangsta since.

The oldest old-school rap was groups like Sugar Hill Gang and Grandmaster Flash followed by Run DMC. Then it was Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest, Eric B & Rakim, Jungle Bros., etc. A lot of it was street inspired and about raising social consciousness. Some of it was just party music and dance music. Some rap went mainstream/pop like Sir Mixalot, Kris Kross, freaking MC Hammer, 2 Live Crew, etc. Gangsta Rap started with NWA, 2 Short and spin-offs of NWA like Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and Snoop. Rap has been predominantly gangsta since.

You named a lot of good ones. I particularly liked tribe called quest, Eric B and Rakim. And all the gangsta rap. Rodney O and Joe Cooley and KRS 1. Big Daddy Kane. Eric Sermon. EPMD. RBL posse. Those are a few old school i liked.
Probably my favorite rappers when i was growing up were Hi-C, 2nd to none, AMG, Rappin Forte, DJ Quick, Too Short, Ant banks, of course Pac and Biggie, Spice One, Outcast to name a few.

One of my favorite rap songs of all time was on some too short compilation album (like too short presents or something) by someone named G-Side called When You See Me. Really obscure song

Crappy quality but here it is.

@Cy give it a listen and tell me what you think

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

You named a lot of good ones. I particularly liked tribe called quest, Eric B and Rakim. And all the gangsta rap. Rodney O and Joe Cooley and KRS 1. Big Daddy Kane. Eric Sermon. EPMD. RBL posse. Those are a few old school i liked.
Probably my favorite rappers when i was growing up were Hi-C, 2nd to none, AMG, Rappin Forte, DJ Quick, Too Short, Ant banks, of course Pac and Biggie, Spice One, Outcast to name a few.

One of my favorite rap songs of all time was on some too short compilation album (like too short presents or something) by someone named G-Side called When You See Me. Really obscure song

Crappy quality but here it is.

@Cy give it a listen and tell me what you think

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Ya, thats song is good.

You want good advice on rap, you should being asking me. Cy dont know.

I generally prefer my music deep in the underground. I don't typically like rap as a genre, but there are some whose talent is just too huge to ignore, both mainstream and underground. As far as subterranean, I like most of the artists in the Grand Unified collective (Tombstone Da Deadman, Greydon Square), a bunch of Nerdcore artists (MC Frontalot, Schaffer the Darklord, MC Lars, Optimus Rhyme), and the Streets. And then I reach WAAAAAY back to the Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron.

I tried. Did not find any. Thus was asking for examples.

I dont listen to a ton of Rap but I know that Chance the Rapper is known for his vocals. Here is a splattering of his songs.

Childish Gambino has some great stuff including this

I personally like Afroman's songs and vocals. I enjoy how he sings his songs 3 times to sound like 3 different people singing in harmony.

I am not a big Drake fan but he has some songs that are well known for his vocals including this one that one some awards.

I really tons of Rage against the Machine that is rap rock. There are a bunch of others in this category.

Others you could listen to are: Frank Ocean, Sleepy Brown, TJ Swan, Notorious BIG, Kendrick Lamar, Lil Mama, Lauryn Hill, and many others.

Oh, I also dig M.I.A. This was (I think) her biggest hit, but basically everything she has done screams artistic integrity as much as any folk singer with an acoustic guitar.

The Streets can be a bit of an adjustment. A mix of rap and indie garage pub band, all done in a fairly thick accent. But the writing is just so simple and powerful, it's great.