What's new

Your bold prediction for the season (2016-2017)

You are assuming that Hill next to Monta Ellis and Paul George will have the same usage as with his Jazz cohorts.

You also did not mention the low usage players from the comparison and cherry picked Mack.

Jazz coaches and management have spoken about relieving offensive burden from Hayward and hinted that he was worn out by year end.

Why do you think it is absurd that his usage will go down when he has better tools around him? Seems pretty common sense. Jordan's usage dropped from 39% to 35% when they added Pippen.

Mack was the starting PG who played with the Utah Jazz.

George Hill will be the new starting PG.

The most shots George Hill has ever shot per game is 12.4, and that was the year Paul George was injured.

Shelvin Mack shots 11 shots per game while starting for the Jazz.

I do not think the addition of George Hill will take away any shots from Hayward, or at least not anymore than Mack did. If anything I think it will create more shots for Hayward.

I'm not talking about usage, I'm talking about shots taken per game.

pace doesn't necessarily indicate being a winning team.

Unless your on another continent ...it does

Now Jazz are practicing with a 14 second clock and trying to run PNR's earlier in the clock.Kinda the direction the good teams are running to WIN.

This isn't bad for Favors or Gobert either as they are young and can run.I suspect minutes will be kept down to keep ALL fresh with such a deep team

Hayward took practically the same shots per game pre All-Star Break (Neto starting) and post All-Star break (Mack starting) despite Mack being a higher usage PG.

You are assuming that Hill next to Monta Ellis and Paul George will have the same usage as with his Jazz cohorts.

You also did not mention the low usage players from the comparison and cherry picked Mack.

Jazz coaches and management have spoken about relieving offensive burden from Hayward and hinted that he was worn out by year end.

Why do you think it is absurd that his usage will go down when he has better tools around him? Seems pretty common sense. Jordan's usage dropped from 39% to 35% when they added Pippen.

Common sense tells us to compare the situation of adding a legitimate 2nd scorer/playmker (who is a HOF level player) to a team who only had 1 high level scorer, to the situation of the Gordon Hayward and the Jazz adding the 10th-15th best starting PG in the league.

There is no way in my opinion that Hayward is scoring 25 a game this coming season. Based on his career arc, that sudden jump but would be more than just a little bit out of the ordinary. More importantly, given our current depth, I can't see any scenario where his minutes played goes up (more than maybe just a negligible amount) or shots go up much at all, so if that's the case, his efficiency would have to improve at historical levels for him to reach 25 points per game.

jazzfanzers will cheer Exum as an up-and-coming future all-star backed up the next game by lamenting him being on the roster and demanding a trade/cut. At least 10 times.

There is no way in my opinion that Hayward is scoring 25 a game this coming season. Based on his career arc, that sudden jump but would be more than just a little bit out of the ordinary. More importantly, given our current depth, I can't see any scenario where his minutes played goes up (more than maybe just a negligible amount) or shots go up much at all, so if that's the case, his efficiency would have to improve at historical levels for him to reach 25 points per game.

Agree with all yall.

He's going to play way smarter and more under control while picking his spots better than ever. More efficient, but not more volume.

His shot attempts going up is up to him. If he wants to raise them, he has the power. I dont think it goes up that much, but I think it goes up.

His shot attempts going up is up to him. If he wants to raise them, he has the power. I dont think it goes up that much, but I think it goes up.

Even if he takes two more shots a game (huge jump), his efficiency would still have to improve at insane, historical proportions for him to get to 25ppg.

Unless your on another continent ...it does

Now Jazz are practicing with a 14 second clock and trying to run PNR's earlier in the clock.Kinda the direction the good teams are running to WIN.

This isn't bad for Favors or Gobert either as they are young and can run.I suspect minutes will be kept down to keep ALL fresh with such a deep team

ah statistically it doesn't correlate that directly, Locke did an analysis last year of pace vs winning and it's not as strict a correlation. I seem to remember the amount of three point shots TAKEN was a much tighter indicator of the better teams than playing with the fastest pace. Plenty of teams play fast and stink.

But yes it'll definitely help us getting some quicker better shots now that we have the personnel to do it.

Jazz SHOULD be trying to run the opposing starters off the court. Utah now has a bench that should be + against other subs. Guess I'm drinking the Kool-aid but I'm really looking forward to seeing Exum, Burks, Johnson, Diaw and Lyles (if that's the 2nd unit) go against their counterparts. Or swap out for Hood. Hill, etc. Point is, Jazz are stronger 1-10 than most any other team. So force opponents to sub often by playing up-tempo.

Mack was the starting PG who played with the Utah Jazz.

George Hill will be the new starting PG.

The most shots George Hill has ever shot per game is 12.4, and that was the year Paul George was injured.

Shelvin Mack shots 11 shots per game while starting for the Jazz.

I do not think the addition of George Hill will take away any shots from Hayward, or at least not anymore than Mack did. If anything I think it will create more shots for Hayward.

I'm not talking about usage, I'm talking about shots taken per game.

By looking at PG only, I think you are missing the bigger picture.

Still not sure why you are focused only on PG, there is only one ball on the court to distribute to all 5 players, not 2. Lyles will take more shots than Booker, Hood will take more shots than last year. Burks is high volume shooter added back to the mix. And Neto/Jingles are very low volume shooters who will be playing less.

You may think it absurd that his shots/game goes down. I'd say the only way it goes up is with pace, not because he is taking a higher percentage of the team's shots, as you have argued.

Agree with all yall.

He's going to play way smarter and more under control while picking his spots better than ever. More efficient, but not more volume.

This. There were times when Hayward was forcing up shots because they did not have offensively skilled players around him. This year, not so much. His efficiency will improve, usage will drop.

Common sense tells us to compare the situation of adding a legitimate 2nd scorer/playmker (who is a HOF level player) to a team who only had 1 high level scorer, to the situation of the Gordon Hayward and the Jazz adding the 10th-15th best starting PG in the league.

Yeah, you are missing the point, but whatev.

Bold prediction: Jazz end up top 5 in the NBA in 3 pt shots taken, 3 pt shots made, and 3 pt percentage.
I love this one. And think that, though it is bold, it is a possibility...... Then I remember that there is a team that has the two best three point shooters in the league on it and durant to boot. ****ing warriors.

Oh well, I would be ok with second best three point shooting team in the league.

Here's my not so bold prediction for the season:

Neto or Mack is gone by the trade deadline. I can almost guarantee it! There aren't enough minutes for 4 points and the quality at the top is good enough to push 2 backup points to 3rd string and 4th string.

My BOLD prediction:

We package Alec Burks and one or perhaps two of our draft picks to move up high in the 2017 draft.