What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

I’m doubtful we’re even getting one of the little three... Love, Parker, Beverley. We’re getting the “run it back three” of Favors, Exum, and Burks.

“Last year we had to sacrifice a lot to get Kyle, and you saw how much he helped. Well now we’re pleased to announce that we’ve got both of those guys. Alec will add the the versatility of our scoring punch off the bench and will be a prototypical Dwyane Wade.”

I went to Best Buy yesterday... can’t tell you what I heard (because I heard nothin) but I saw a vision of DM holding up the Larry O’Brien trophy and felt peace in my heart.

I just prefer to be optimistic... I think we’ve got a 20% chance at Harris. I think Philly may ball at the full max and think there is a good chance he sees a 3+1 contract as just as good.

Imma say we have a 25% chance... if not we can get a Conley deal done. Some of the Favs stuff may be posturing... I think most of that noise has come from TJ who is tight with Favs.

If LoPo thinks those guys had better seasons and are better players then I don’t know... Conley was extremely productive and crazy efficient, but yeah he isn’t 25 so eff that... give me Zach Lavine and 35 year old Lamarcus Aldridge over Conley. Those guis move the needle... likely will cause Adam silver to shut down the nba for competitive balance reasons.
Zach lavine was actually pretty bad *** this past season.
34 minutes per game. 24 ppg, 4.5 assists, 4.7 rebounds. 47% from the field, 37% from 3, 83% from the line. Got to the line 6 times per game.

23 years old. 6 foot five. Cheaper than Conley. I definitely would rather have lavine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

It’s seriously disheartening that we are looking at the greatest class of free agents in the history of the league and we’re discussing the pros and cons of players such as Conley, Lamb, Oubre, etc...

How pathetic.

We have two young and exciting cornerstones that any franchise would be lucky to build around, a solid supporting cast of players, an elite coaching staff, and a top notch organization from the top down. And that’s not even talking about the fan base - regardless of what Westbrook says.

And yet we’re sitting here talking about how lucky we would be to get Tobias Harris?? Wow.

Any one of these free agent stars that consider winning seriouly would have to stop and take a good hard look at the Jazz. It’s all here. A winning foundation for years to come.

Now, if the narrative that guys don’t want to play in Utah is still correct, then what are we doing? What’s the point?

Then I agree with the “tanking boys”. If the draft is truly the only possibility to get anyone worth a damn - then let’s do it. We should have done it last year. Let’s do whatever it takes to get that third missing piece that aligns with the Rudy/DM timeline.

We’ve been stuck in average mediocrity for about 20 years now. Seriously, it really is now or never for this franchise. DM and Rudy will bolt the first chance they get. Why wouldn’t they?

All DL has talked about is financial flexibility but I really don’t see it. How does a team like the Clippers lose 2 more games than us this season and yet still has the capability to go out and grab 2 max free agents??

This will go down as either the greatest off season in the team’s history, or the most heartbreaking.

In fairness, both of the instances of Jazz fan impropriety were pretty racist. Same with a lot of the banter on Twitter. Utah will always struggle to attract African American talent.

Zach lavine was actually pretty bad *** this past season.
34 minutes per game. 24 ppg, 4.5 assists, 4.7 rebounds. 47% from the field, 37% from 3, 83% from the line. Got to the line 6 times per game.

23 years old. 6 foot five. Cheaper than Conley. I definitely would rather have lavine.

His numbers are good... I just laughed because he’s the epitome of the chucker on a bad team.

He is very very bad on defense like... really bad. He’s also not a smart player. He’d cost as much or more to acquire because he is young and cost controlled... he’s also less durable than Conley.

It’s a fair argument... but it’s tough to say Conley only got numbers cuz his team sucks and then lost Lavine as a guy you want... that’s all. Conley has put up similar numbers on a playoff team... there is no reason to believe his game is slipping at all. Guys careers are lasting longer... he uses his speed but Conley is smart, skilled, and crafty. As long as he stays healthy I don’t see his game falling off a cliff. It ain’t like the guy is dragging his leg every year like Chris Paul. Last playoff series he played in two years ago he was a boss... he’s playoff tested and ready.

His numbers are good... I just laughed because he’s the epitome of the chucker on a bad team.

He is very very bad on defense like... really bad. He’s also not a smart player. He’d cost as much or more to acquire because he is young and cost controlled... he’s also less durable than Conley.

It’s a fair argument... but it’s tough to say Conley only got numbers cuz his team sucks and then lost Lavine as a guy you want... that’s all. Conley has put up similar numbers on a playoff team... there is no reason to believe his game is slipping at all. Guys careers are lasting longer... he uses his speed but Conley is smart, skilled, and crafty. As long as he stays healthy I don’t see his game falling off a cliff. It ain’t like the guy is dragging his leg every year like Chris Paul. Last playoff series he played in two years ago he was a boss... he’s playoff tested and ready.
As far as lavine sucking on defense and not being smart, I don't really understand advanced stats much. With offensive and defensive win shares positive is better than negative right? Lavine is +1.7 offensively and +1.1 defensively.
you also want VORP to be positive too I think (legitimately not sure though) and he is positive there as well +1.1.

Is it more impressive or less impressive to have positive win shares and positive VORP on a bad team (again, I sincerely have no idea).

Maybe lavine has gotten better since he was 19. Once a guy gets a rep for being low bbiq and poor defensively it's hard for them to shake that rep no matter what they do. And of course a player so young might have to take some time in the league to figure things out. After last season I think he is well on his way to figuring things out. Even at 23 I would say there is some upside leftt for him and some growing and maturity. He is pretty athletic too from what I remember.

Size, age, price, athleticism, potential/upside all easily go in lavines favor. Raw stats slightly in his favor. Advanced stats easily in conleys favor.

All things considered I take lavine.

I went to Best Buy yesterday... can’t tell you what I heard (because I heard nothin) but I saw a vision of DM holding up the Larry O’Brien trophy and felt peace in my heart.

I just prefer to be optimistic... I think we’ve got a 20% chance at Harris. I think Philly may ball at the full max and think there is a good chance he sees a 3+1 contract as just as good.

Imma say we have a 25% chance... if not we can get a Conley deal done. Some of the Favs stuff may be posturing... I think most of that noise has come from TJ who is tight with Favs.
Favors stuff could be posturing, but you look at the past 4-5 years of data on what could be argued to be posturing and it all turned out to be the straight-up truth, backed up by action (or inaction).

As far as lavine sucking on defense and not being smart, I don't really understand advanced stats much. With offensive and defensive win shares positive is better than negative right? Lavine is +1.7 offensively and +1.1 defensively.
you also want VORP to be positive too I think (legitimately not sure though) and he is positive there as well +1.1.

Is it more impressive or less impressive to have positive win shares and positive VORP on a bad team (again, I sincerely have no idea).

Maybe lavine has gotten better since he was 19. Once a guy gets a rep for being low bbiq and poor defensively it's hard for them to shake that rep no matter what they do. And of course a player so young might have to take some time in the league to figure things out. After last season I think he is well on his way to figuring things out. Even at 23 I would say there is some upside leftt for him and some growing and maturity. He is pretty athletic too from what I remember.

Size, age, price, athleticism, potential/upside all easily go in lavines favor. Raw stats slightly in his favor. Advanced stats easily in conleys favor.

All things considered I take lavine.

He lives up to his reputation on defense... he’s bad.

He’s not available so it’s not worth arguing. He’s a good offensive player but not better than mike and he’s just not on the market right now.

Favors stuff could be posturing, but you look at the past 4-5 years of data on what could be argued to be posturing and it all turned out to be the straight-up truth, backed up by action (or inaction).

Im hopeful things could change a bit with Zanik... Locke said some things on a pod that made me think DL is more an over analyzer big picture type... maybe Zanik is more an action man.

I’ve decided to chill on panicking until July. If we fail I’ll go scorched earth with you.

Saw this posted on reddit. We're getting D'Lo:

nnlrf3dffmz21.jpg

He lives up to his reputation on defense... he’s bad.

He’s not available so it’s not worth arguing. He’s a good offensive player but not better than mike and he’s just not on the market right now.

If you are bad on defense do you typically have a negative defensive win share?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Jazz and every other team may need to draft players who can guard or maybe slow down Zion Williamson for the next ten years

Jazz and every other team may need to draft players who can guard Zion Williamson for the next ten years
Eh, I think Zion will be unique, but he isn't gonna dominate like LeBron or anything like that. He can handle it, but he doesn't have guard handles. He can post some, but it's not like he is Embiid.

He will be a highlight reel on the fast break, but I just dont see him dominating the NBA.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Now we just need to hope and pray that Brooklyn can land 2 big time free agents so they don't bring back Dangelo Russell. He's restricted so I have to imagine they'll match anything.

It still kills me they got Dinwiddie to sign an extension during the season for only $11 million/year. If the Jazz struck out on other options I"m sure they easily would've paid him $16 million/year at least and still could've brought back Favors if they wanted. I think Dinwiddie would've been a great pick up.

Now we just need to hope and pray that Brooklyn can land 2 big time free agents so they don't bring back Dangelo Russell. He's restricted so I have to imagine they'll match anything.

It still kills me they got Dinwiddie to sign an extension during the season for only $11 million/year. If the Jazz struck out on other options I"m sure they easily would've paid him $16 million/year at least and still could've brought back Favors if they wanted. I think Dinwiddie would've been a great pick up.

They can only sign one big free agent as of right now and they have to renounce dlo to do it... he has a big caphold.