What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

David Locke tears apart the Dlo Russell idea in his podcast with Tony Jones. He's incredibly inefficient. He's in the 13th percentile at finishing at the rim and never gets to the free throw line. He had a 98% usage rate last year. He thinks he wouldn't help the Jazz.

Starts at about the 27:30 mark https://www.lockedonjazz.net/jazz/l...-or-tobias-plus-kyle-korver-season-in-review/

I mean a bunch of us said that... he could be become more efficient but the thought that we are getting a young all star if we got him is kinda silly... he was an all star by default. I think he is a better fit than Rubio but the thought that he magically becomes more efficient or athletic or that he opens up a lot of stuff for DM is a stretch. He’s young and has promise but I’d be frightened to give him $100M it will take to get him here.

I mean a bunch of us said that... he could be become more efficient but the thought that we are getting a young all star if we got him is kinda silly... he was an all star by default. I think he is a better fit than Rubio but the thought that he magically becomes more efficient or athletic or that he opens up a lot of stuff for DM is a stretch. He’s young and has promise but I’d be frightened to give him $100M it will take to get him here.

I'd rather have Kemba or Tobias, but D-Lo is a pretty good consolation prize if both of those options fall through. He could end up being the best long-term fit with the Jazz and Mitchell out of the guys we're talking about.

@Handlogtens Heroes
Is there a way to tell if a player is good at defense by looking at a particular stat or set of stats?

I thought defensive win shares would be a good indicator but I looked at that stats for a few guys who have a rep as bad defenders (harden, kanter, love, lavine) and all of them have positive defensive win share numbers. Does anyone in the league have negative defensive win share numbers? I mean if those guys have positive numbers then everyone would I would think.

Is there just no way to measure good defense statistically?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Is there any chance that D-lo never gets to the line, and has other bad stats due to the way the nets coach wants him to play?

In other words, if he played for the jazz is there a chance that his percentage at the rim, free throw attempts, and usage all improve due to system, coaching, teammates? Or is he simply what he is? Did he have the same flaws in college? On the Lakers?

@Handlogtens Heroes
Is there a way to tell if a player is good at defense by looking at a particular stat or set of stats?

I thought defensive win shares would be a good indicator but I looked at that stats for a few guys who have a rep as bad defenders (harden, kanter, love, lavine) and all of them have positive defensive win share numbers. Does anyone in the league have negative defensive win share numbers? I mean if those guys have positive numbers then everyone would I would think.

Look up Rudy, see if he's positive or negative.

@Handlogtens Heroes

Defensive win shares are generally not negative. There isn’t any perfect defensive stat. Unless you are elite like Gobert it is tough to point at one thing... even on/off is pretty flawed.

Trust me on Lavine... his defense is ***... think of all the bad parts of ABs defense then turn it up a few notches.

He’s not a bad player but he’s closer to a good stats on a bad team guy than a winning player atm. He’s not available... he’d cost more than Conley in a trade if he was.

Is there any chance that D-lo never gets to the line, and has other bad stats due to the way the nets coach wants him to play?

In other words, if he played for the jazz is there a chance that his percentage at the rim, free throw attempts, and usage all improve due to system, coaching, teammates? Or is he simply what he is? Did he have the same flaws in college? On the Lakers?

Nets are well coached and have decent spacing... if anything I think the way they play helps him.

Alright, so here's my question:

What are the odds that Jabari can give you most of what Harris can give you? I can't help but feel there's a bit of a recency bias at play here. Rewind two years and ask this question, and Tobias hasn't shot up everyone's list, just as Jabari hasn't dropped so far down. Now, obviously more information is better than less, and handicapping that evaluation by saying "ignore the last two years" is fairly short sighted, but what are the chances that the course of the last two years will remain static (or at least trend in the same direction) with both those guys? Are we looking at finished products, or is there more variability to come? There are certain reservations I'd have about Tobias, but if you told me today we'd have the chance to get him, I'd take it in a heartbeat. No beef about getting him. But Jabari is the ultimate buy-low guy, and right now Harris is a buy-high guy (you have to max him). There have been some stupid comments Jabari has made, but by all accounts he's a good teammate and guys like him. Why not put our culture to test that DL raves so much about? I see him very easily being able to put up 20 ppg with us. His defense isn't good, but neither is Harris'. If ever there's a position for Jabari to succeed, it's here and now. The personnel downside to picking up Harris is that he's your off-season -- you jettison some guys and use up all your flexibility just to obtain him.

My plan would be go hard at Conley. Hard. You then operate over the cap. You could argue Jabari gets above the MLE, but if we offered a 3 year deal on the MLE, with a 3rd year player option, that puts him in a situation where he knows he's starting, knows he's needed, is in a great environment, a familiar place where he has a house, and allows him to rehab his career and brand for two years and then opt out. I think Conley/Jabari is the closest we get to the dream off-season of Conley/Harris.

Hell, even if we just used our capspace to land Jabari and Beverley/Caruso, I'd rate that as a good off-season. I know the Favors analytics darlings wouldn't like that, but it balances our needs out significantly. Unfortunately, I think the FO is in the Favors analytics darling camp.

okay... don’t even need to wait till july now. draft night might do sth for us

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Official team Conley + Jabari. Cobari. Jonley. Marker.

And this guy rounding out the trifecta:

2yc334.jpg

I'd even bring on the churro guy to be a vendor at Vivint.

David Locke tears apart the Dlo Russell idea in his podcast with Tony Jones. He's incredibly inefficient. He's in the 13th percentile at finishing at the rim and never gets to the free throw line. He had a 98% usage rate last year. He thinks he wouldn't help the Jazz.

Starts at about the 27:30 mark https://www.lockedonjazz.net/jazz/l...-or-tobias-plus-kyle-korver-season-in-review/

I haven't listened to the podcast but I'd agree with the sentiment. And I'd add, as someone who watched a lot of Net games, he's super streaky and has a low basketball IQ. For every game he keeps you in, he plays you out of another by either bad shot selection or poor decision making. No thanks.

The Nets knew what they were doing when they locked in Dinwiddie on a reasonable deal. I'd take that over Russell and a bloated FA deal any day of the week.

Would not be excited about Russell at all. HH describes it best as empty calories.

Official team Conley + Jabari. Cobari. Jonley. Marker.

And this guy rounding out the trifecta:

2yc334.jpg

I'd even bring on the churro guy to be a vendor at Vivint.
I like jabari way more than love so at least there's that

Would not be excited about Russell at all. HH describes it best as empty calories.

I would be okay with it if we struck out and if the Conley deal became to spendy. He makes me really nervous, but it could work. The issue is you now have two young inefficient high usage guards... which can work if they both compliment each other and the other really efficient guys don't get annoyed. I think that is part of the issue in Boston... guys watching Kyrie and Tatum take turns and saying WTF?

I prefer the other routes but Russell is better than running it back. The thing I like is he's a good passer... going back to his college days he would throw some noice passes. I think both guys could benefit from taking the ball out of their hands a little. I think both guys can improve their three point shooting and DM can get to the line more. I think Russell will always be a low FTA guy... I can't think of a guy who got better at that. The thing is if we did that deal we'd still have all of our picks... I know, I know, but that is where we have to hit (as well as a few other things happening) big to go from conference finalist contender to legit championship contender.

If we got Russell I would understand what we are trying to do... it would make sense... I could get behind it... but its like the 5th or 6th best realistic outcome.

Everyone is positive apparently.
Harden and gobert have similar defensive win share numbers lol.

Even defensive RPM (which may be the most reliable) has some weird *** things that happen. On/Off kinda tells a story too... Part of Zach's problem is the teams he has been on really didn't have defensive personnel. He at least is an efficient scorer... I could understand why someone would want him long term over Conley. He is spacey on both sides of the floor, but one thing I've been impressed with him is he loves basketball and works hard... dude has passion... if they have that the other stuff can certainly follow.

Alright, so here's my question:

What are the odds that Jabari can give you most of what Harris can give you? I can't help but feel there's a bit of a recency bias at play here. Rewind two years and ask this question, and Tobias hasn't shot up everyone's list, just as Jabari hasn't dropped so far down. Now, obviously more information is better than less, and handicapping that evaluation by saying "ignore the last two years" is fairly short sighted, but what are the chances that the course of the last two years will remain static (or at least trend in the same direction) with both those guys? Are we looking at finished products, or is there more variability to come? There are certain reservations I'd have about Tobias, but if you told me today we'd have the chance to get him, I'd take it in a heartbeat. No beef about getting him. But Jabari is the ultimate buy-low guy, and right now Harris is a buy-high guy (you have to max him). There have been some stupid comments Jabari has made, but by all accounts he's a good teammate and guys like him. Why not put our culture to test that DL raves so much about? I see him very easily being able to put up 20 ppg with us. His defense isn't good, but neither is Harris'. If ever there's a position for Jabari to succeed, it's here and now. The personnel downside to picking up Harris is that he's your off-season -- you jettison some guys and use up all your flexibility just to obtain him.

My plan would be go hard at Conley. Hard. You then operate over the cap. You could argue Jabari gets above the MLE, but if we offered a 3 year deal on the MLE, with a 3rd year player option, that puts him in a situation where he knows he's starting, knows he's needed, is in a great environment, a familiar place where he has a house, and allows him to rehab his career and brand for two years and then opt out. I think Conley/Jabari is the closest we get to the dream off-season of Conley/Harris.

Hell, even if we just used our capspace to land Jabari and Beverley/Caruso, I'd rate that as a good off-season. I know the Favors analytics darlings wouldn't like that, but it balances our needs out significantly. Unfortunately, I think the FO is in the Favors analytics darling camp.

Parker is a good buy low... I just wonder if he gets it and if he is a worker. Those are things that are hard to fix. Tobias is a worker by all accounts. Parker's jumper has come and gone too. I wonder if he'd buy into the Jae Crowder bench role... if he did then he wouldn't have to be as consistent and the nights he goes for 20 would be helpful. At this point I think he's a great low risk high reward candidate. I'd want him on a 1+1 with a team option deal.

I'd also be willing to roll the dice on IT. That injury may have zapped him of everything, but I think we could offer him a role and I think it would be a minimum deal. I think the hip injury is kinda a two year deal... especially since Boston told him to wait on the surgery.