What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Donovan no doubt has the most pressure this season for the jazz. He has the teammates. I hope he has a great season. This season will show what he's made of

I would gut the team to sign Tobias Harris. From the 4 spot the only player more skilled is KD (Lebron and Kawhi are 3's). I would also do it to "win the press conference". Sometimes you need to shatter the myth that max free agents wouldn't sign here. That would be a HUGE benefit in the future. Also, I think we can get 3 more good bench players with our exceptions - Room MLE, Exum injury exception, and the AB trade exception.

I don't disagree with your point about shattering the myth, but we lose the AB trade exception as soon as we fall beneath the cap (which we will, to make the Conley trade work). And what is the Exum injury exception you're referring to? I don't think such a thing exists. We only have our cap space, plus the Room MLE, plus whatever else we can do with trades (probably would be Favors and/or Exum if anyone else gets traded).

The more I think about it, the more I want the Jazz to go all in on Randle as Favors replacement. He is only 24 and will be a much better fit and can grow as a core player with Rudy and Donovan.

I don't disagree with your point about shattering the myth, but we lose the AB trade exception as soon as we fall beneath the cap (which we will, to make the Conley trade work). And what is the Exum injury exception you're referring to? I don't think such a thing exists. We only have our cap space, plus the Room MLE, plus whatever else we can do with trades (probably would be Favors and/or Exum if anyone else gets traded).

i didn't realize that's how the TPE works; would we be able to add someone with it and still have enough room to add Conley?

The more I think about it, the more I want the Jazz to go all in on Randle as Favors replacement. He is only 24 and will be a much better fit and can grow as a core player with Rudy and Donovan.

I think he gets more than Favors and is still shaky from 3. If we are dropping Favors, we need a stretch 4, right?

I think he gets more than Favors and is still shaky from 3. If we are dropping Favors, we need a stretch 4, right?

I think he is consistent enough from deep to not have the lane clogged like Favors. Also he only makes a few million now so my hope would be thst he doesn't balk at a 16 to 17 million dollar salary.

Tony Jones has said a few times on twitter that the Jazz aren't interested in Randle.

A/B) The Jazz would have to move Ingles' contract to open up a max slot.
C) The Clippers will need to move Gallinari's contract to open up a 2nd max slot.
I haven’t run the numbers, but I’m skeptical that move does it. If it does, then that’s something that should seriously be considered.

I would gut the team to sign Tobias Harris. From the 4 spot the only player more skilled is KD (Lebron and Kawhi are 3's). I would also do it to "win the press conference". Sometimes you need to shatter the myth that max free agents wouldn't sign here. That would be a HUGE benefit in the future. Also, I think we can get 3 more good bench players with our exceptions - Room MLE, Exum injury exception, and the AB trade exception. I would also rely heavily on the developmental staff to rebuild our depth. And not only that it gives us 5 years (if Donovan and Rudy resign) of being in contention. We kind of build momentum for next year too, because it gives us a fantastic base.
If there’s a way to do that, I’m in. I just don’t think there is. Especially if Jimmy doesn’t re-sign and they have nothing else to spend the money on and he can get his shots.

Tony Jones has said a few times on twitter that the Jazz aren't interested in Randle.

They shouldn’t be. The calculus on Randle and Tobias changed when we got Conley. Those guys had more value because they can create with the ball. We don’t want Randle creating when DM, Joe, Mike are in the floor... he isn’t a good enough shooter or defender to justify consideration now.

Our ideal guy would be someone that has size to play the four, that can shoot the lights out, and that can guard on the perimeter. Creation is still nice but not fully necessary. If you could get Ariza’s defense with Nikos offense that’d be ideal.

Look at the money Gibson, Robin Lopez, Zubac, Davis, and Bryant got... we can get a backup center dirt cheap. I know Favs is better than those guys by a mile... but allocating so much of our cap to him just doesn't make sense. Dude is out next year either way... may as well pivot now.

i didn't realize that's how the TPE works; would we be able to add someone with it and still have enough room to add Conley?
It's not a question of having room. Is that since the Jazz are planning to add Conley into existing cap space (as opposed to doing a trade where the Jazz are over the cap, where salaries have to match to a large extent), they do not get the TPE at all. They will be operating as an under-the-cap team, and under-the-cap teams do not get TPEs.

If we waive Favors do we still have the room MLE to use in addition to the $17 million in cap space?

If we waive Favors do we still have the room MLE to use in addition to the $17 million in cap space?
Yes, that’s precisely why the room MLE exists (there’s room under the cap).

However, that exception cannot be combined with capspace for a larger salary. They are partitioned. Which is why the room exception should be called the Alex Caruso exception.