What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

I’m not sure why anyone would assume anyone would come back from an Achilles injury just fine. The track record is very poor, even recently.

He will be back and be fine. I think the Nets and Knicks still offer full max and he’d be ahead of guys like Tobias. If Kyrie and KD go to Brooklyn they will still be good. If he goes to NY and no one else goes too they can roll their space forward and tank a year. Can go after AD in free agency and keep the young guys and picks they’ve collected.

I still can’t imagine Nets picking Tobias over KD even with the injury. KD could move slower and still put up an easy 25 per game.

The list of guys that have come back "fine" from Achilles injuries contains just "Dominique Wilkins." But, yeah, someone will give him the max, hopefully it is New Jersey. In fact, the injury probably makes it more likely that KD moves and considers more teams than he would have otherwise considering he has to wait another year before the team needs to be "All-in" as contenders.

Here's a thought exercise, if the opportunity was there, would you four year max KD on the Jazz?

The list of guys that have come back "fine" from Achilles injuries contains just "Dominique Wilkins." But, yeah, someone will give him the max, hopefully it is New Jersey. In fact, the injury probably makes it more likely that KD moves and considers more teams than he would have otherwise considering he has to wait another year before the team needs to be "All-in" as contenders.

Here's a thought exercise, if the opportunity was there, would you four year max KD on the Jazz?
Yes.
Without question.
A Rudy, DM, Durant core is championship level.

Have to swing for the fences if you get a chance like that. Sure it's risky but if we said nah we don't want to risk him never getting back from the injury then we likely don't win a title anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

In a heartbeat. How often do you have the chance to add a top 3 player? Even if he’s only 60% when he comes back, he’s better than anyone else we’re likely to sign or trade for.

1000% yes

Rudy Gay came back... so has Wes Matthews. Both guys are older and would have lost some athleticism due to age. Wes might be a shadow of himself defensively but that was likely to happen because of his body type and age.

I’m trying to think of a young player that was ruined by Achilles... is it something that hits older guys... everyone cites Kobe but he was older so it makes sense it’d wreck him.

KD will be fine... maybe not best player in the league fine but top 10 for sure imo. He should take the full year off and rehab. Work back slowly and watch his minutes in year 2.

In a heartbeat. How often do you have the chance to add a top 3 player? Even if he’s only 60% when he comes back, he’s better than anyone else we’re likely to sign or trade for.

60-75% KD is likely better than 100% Tobias Harris. The year wait would suck... which is why NY makes sense... if they can’t get the second guy they can keep their young guys... build up more assets and sign someone next year.

He didn't say what the 12/7/5/2 were though... 12 steals, 7 blocks, 5 3 pointers and 2 dunks per game.
12 minutes looking winded and out of breath.

7 posts in the game thread from Jazz complaining that Donovan is a ball hog and Dante isn’t getting a chance.

5 points.

2 flailing drives to the basket that don’t drop.

Yes. I’d tell him how long we let Hill sit with a toe, and sell our injury history as just being cautious. I’d even let him take the first two years off, then DL can tickle his fancy, and hopefully get it out of his system, of running it back, or whatever, for the next two years?

He was still able to flex his foot.
Video? You can still have some plantar flexion without resistance post rupture, but none with resistance. The team supposedly thinks he ruptured that. It’s easily diagnosed on examination and an MRI is essentially superfluous, so if they’re saying rupture then I’d go with it.

Yes. I’d tell him how long we let Hill sit with a toe, and sell our injury history as just being cautious. I’d even let him take the first two years off, then DL can tickle his fancy, and hopefully get it out of his system, of running it back, or whatever, for the next two years?
Would give Dante some company too.

conspiracy theory... it was never a calf injury and it was always an Achilles injury. The reason Bob Myers was crying was part sadness but part because the doctors passed off without real confidence and he knows **** gonna come down on his head.

conspiracy theory... it was never a calf injury and it was always an Achilles injury. The reason Bob Myers was crying was part sadness but part because the doctors passed off without real confidence and he knows **** gonna come down on his head.

Thought the same thing and wouldn’t surprise me at all.....

Just watched the interview. Seemed to be compensating for a lot of doubt he had, repeating buzzwords like "experts," then emphasizing his return was a collaberative effort, then saying "the people who cleared him are good people." It kind of reminds me of a scene from Once Upon a Crime where they return to where they knew there was a dead body, the police were there, they ask him what he's doing there and he says "I'm certainly no murderer," followed by the police asking who said anything about murder. Wish I had a youtube clip.

Just watched the interview. Seemed to be compensating for a lot of doubt he had, repeating buzzwords like "experts," then emphasizing his return was a collaberative effort, then saying "the people who cleared him are good people." It kind of reminds me of a scene from Once Upon a Crime where they return to where they knew there was a dead body, the police were there, they ask him what he's doing there and he says "I'm certainly no murderer," followed by the police asking who said anything about murder. Wish I had a youtube clip.
Found it:

That was what struck me... like when my kids know they did something wrong and are preemptively trying to explain it before I have told them what they did wrong.

So let's say KD says he'll stay for 5 year max... he's not super max eligible. If they waive and stretch Livingston and bring back Cook and Looney at around $3M per player... fill out the rest of the roster with minimum dudes... they will be looking at $150M in tax for a team that is super thin. If they use their taxpayer MLE it goes up by like another $25M. Plus $165-170M in salaries. So total payroll would be a bananas $320M or so... while they wait on KD and hope the other guys stay healthy.

So let's say KD says he'll stay for 5 year max... he's not super max eligible. If they waive and stretch Livingston and bring back Cook and Looney at around $3M per player... fill out the rest of the roster with minimum dudes... they will be looking at $150M in tax for a team that is super thin. If they use their taxpayer MLE it goes up by like another $25M. Plus $165-170M in salaries. So total payroll would be a bananas $320M or so... while they wait on KD and hope the other guys stay healthy.

I think it is very likely that Durant leaves. I think GS would sign him if he wants to come back, but they aren't going to hold anyone hostage over it. Knicks are probably the biggest winners with the new reality.