What's new

Zion-Vegas Summer League

Can he start? I’m not meaning is he a starter, but with four really good guys on the floor, can he start? I mean, Pop had a way of disguising Matt Bonner on the floor. Can we get away with Brantley? Because if he can defend, play tough, grab boards, and hit an occasional catch and shoot three, that’s all we need.
Green can start

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Zion has gained a LOT of weight. As mentioned, his *** is like a planet. He needs to control his eating.

His *** is 250 right now by itself. I think he could play at 265ish and be healthy.

Btw... Brantley is a brick house... dude is thiccc... in a good way though... he could prolly get a little leaner but I’ve got a good feeling on him.

I agree, Brantley has a great NBA body. And he looks like he could drop a little weight. I bet he will before the season starts. At one point during the first game in SLC he sprinted down the court and I was shocked by his speed. I have a good feeling about him.

Can he start? I’m not meaning is he a starter, but with four really good guys on the floor, can he start? I mean, Pop had a way of disguising Matt Bonner on the floor. Can we get away with Brantley? Because if he can defend, play tough, grab boards, and hit an occasional catch and shoot three, that’s all we need.

This year? Heavens no.

He might get some spot minutes. He has an nba body. Eventually he could but he’s a project... but he’s a project that could function on the court for 10-12 minutes a night at some point in the season.

I agree, Brantley has a great NBA body. And he looks like he could drop a little weight. I bet he will before the season starts. At one point during the first game in SLC he sprinted down the court and I was shocked by his speed. I have a good feeling about him.

Agreed.

Thinking about Brantley he has a lot to offer. He handles the ball quite nicely. He can drop the three. He can body up anyone. He's pretty good with the ball around the basket. He can stay in front of his assignment pretty well. He's quick-footed and should get better as he drops weight. The game looks like it comes at him fairly slowly. He makes a bad pass here and there but I just don't see any glaring weaknesses. He's only 6'7" but he has a 7'1" wingspan.

https://stats.nba.com/articles/2019-nba-draft-profile-jarrell-brantley/

PlayType Analysis

• Played one of the most versatile roles in the country on paper. Got between 8% and 18% of his possessions from Spot Ups, Isolations, Post Ups, Cuts, and Transition opportunities many of which he generated pushing the ball himself. Scored an impressive 1.275 points per Transition possession [87th percentile] proving difficult to stop with a head of steam.
  • Found quite a bit of success in one-on-one situations where his combination of strength and ball handling ability made his a mismatch for many forwards at the mid-major level. Scored a terrific 1.268 points per shot around the rim in the half court [76th percentile] despite creating many of those looks himself. Can play above the rim emphatically with a head of steam, but is also adept at playing bully ball in close.
  • Flashes budding perimeter skills tossing in floaters, making timely passes, setting up defenders for crossovers, and tossing in the occasional jumper. Perimeter consistently and decision-making are still a work in progress. 19% of his shots in the half court were set shots which he converted for 1.200 points per catch and shoot jump shot in the half court [82nd percentile]. Was not especially prolific from beyond the arc, but has continued room to grow as a floor spacer.
  • Makes some hustle plays moving off the ball and crashing the glass, but played a much more involved role in Charleston’s offense than he did early in his career.
synergy-jarrell-brantley-playtypes.png

Defensive Analysis

• Has good tools defensively with his combination of agility and strength. Holds his own guarding the ball in the post and on the perimeter, but has room to improve off the ball. Makes some plays by virtue of his length and is a very capable rebounder when dialed in.
  • Allowed 0.861 points per Isolation possession and 0.804 points per Post Up possession last season flashing some versatility.

Thinking about Brantley he has a lot to offer. He handles the ball quite nicely. He can drop the three. He can body up anyone. He's pretty good with the ball around the basket. He can stay in front of his assignment pretty well. He's quick-footed and should get better as he drops weight. The game looks like it comes at him fairly slowly. He makes a bad pass here and there but I just don't see any glaring weaknesses. He's only 6'7" but he has a 7'1" wingspan.

If he busts it will be from low basketball IQ (taking bad shots, mistiming passes, failing to make rotations on defense, etc). Its rare to find a 6'7" player late in the second round that has length, athleticism, handles, and a decent jump shot. Brantley has them all.

Brantley looks like he's used to having a lot of freedom on offense. He likes to take his time and freelance with the ball. But if he focuses on a role to defend, rebound and score in a few limited situations as an outlet, he could fit in. He's going to push Niang for minutes, imo.

I wonder how comfortable he is as a lob target. It's a test to see how quickly he gets off the floor.

Terence Davis playing well for the Nuggets against the Magics. 17 pts in the 3rd quarter and hitting threes and dunking too. I still don't get why he went undrafted. Smh

Probably not this year, but I can see it in the future, especially if Conley returns or re-signs. Brantley can do the dirty work while the other four starters are the options to score. If he improves his 3pt shooting and defense, sky's the limit. Lindsey may have finally found his 2nd rd, diamond in the rough.

Here's a guy I thought the Jazz might be able to get in the 2nd round -- Iggy Brazdeikis. He got drafted at #47.

Kyle Guy is playing like he belongs in the league. Mike is playing for the Kings too. Lol. That guy declared early and will never play in the league.

Both NAW and Hayes looking great in their debut in SL:

WOW! I expected it of NAW but Hayes looks like he will translate and might be ready faster than I expected. I'm about ready to take the L on that one.