What's new

Zone employee says it's a done deal to keep Corbin

Talked to a guy at the Zone and he says the Jazz have made their decision to keep Corbin -- in other words, Greg has told KOC and Lindsey to keep him.

While I give no credence to this rumor, I fully expect massive ****ups this offseason. We'll sign a couple fillers, look for deals, and sit on our hands until the all star break.

Not surprised, actually I'd be more surprised if they did fire Corbin. Still puzzles me why he's staying, it seems like anytime national media talks about Corbin all they say or see in him is a clueless coach who is in over his head...why can't the FO see it?

While I give no credence to this rumor, I fully expect massive ****ups this offseason. We'll sign a couple fillers, look for deals, and sit on our hands until the all star break.

The only main way I can see that as a mess up is one of two ways. Their real targets shut them down or they play those "fillers" above the C4.

Not surprised, actually I'd be more surprised if they did fire Corbin. Still puzzles me why he's staying, it seems like anytime national media talks about Corbin all they say or see in him is a clueless coach who is in over his head...why can't the FO see it?

Setting aside my feelings in the matter.

The sports media has a 24 hour news cycle, and with all the Talking heads who get paid to spout opinions they need material, and they need strong opinions to keep their jobs. It is no good for ratings to say that the Jazz are are being cautious and it is really nice that they are loyal and letting a guy who they believe has the right personality for the job to work through some mistakes and basically learn on the Job.

Lindsey said some of the critisims were valid, referring to Zach Lowe's article specifically. But Jazz keep talking about a process, a process to build a team, a process to build players-- is it inconceivable that they believe it is also a process to build a coach?

Pistons fire Frank. Cavaliers fire Scott.

What will the Jazz do? Kiss Corbin's a**.

Frank asked to either have his 14-15n option picked up or be let go (though they may well have fired him anyway). Scott finished his third year in Cleveland. We can only hope that Ty does a better job this year or that if he still sucks then that's the end of the line.

Of course it is. Do you guys realize how much money is still left on his deal?

I think the better questions are:
-How much money have they saved by hiring a nobody vs. a valued commodity?
-How much money has already been lost or may be lost in the future by sticking with what is becoming a pariah in the NATIONAL media?

If the money owed (which I wouldn't imagine is a lot vs the rest of the field) is the reason they're going to stick it out, that seems very shortsighted. If the Jazz see this as an opportunity to see what Ty can do when not held hostage by veterans with the consequence being a poor season prior to a great draft, then maybe they're brilliant. Unfortunately, we probably won't have much of an idea of their strategy until a few years down the line.

For my part, I think the organization needs to seize an opportunity to improve now even as tantalizing as next year's draft is supposed to be.

If the money owed (which I wouldn't imagine is a lot vs the rest of the field) is the reason they're going to stick it out, that seems very shortsighted. If the Jazz see this as an opportunity to see what Ty can do when not held hostage by veterans with the consequence being a poor season prior to a great draft, then maybe they're brilliant. Unfortunately, we probably won't have much of an idea of their strategy until a few years down the line.

I'm pretty sure that has to be the thought process at this point.. keeping Ty is a win-win for them, they don't have to pay him and a new coach, if they end up overachieving then we'll all shut up for a year, and if we suck then we get a great draft pick and they can blame this all on Ty.

Of course it is. Do you guys realize how much money is still left on his deal?

The best numbers I could find estimated it at about $2 million. That's a lot less than they paid Raja Bell to not play this past season, so I could easily see them buying out Corbin's contract.

Edit: and I think the team would have made more than that in additional revenue had the Jazz made the playoffs this year. So how much is a good coach worth?

The best numbers I could find estimated it at about $2 million. That's a lot less than they paid Raja Bell to not play this past season, so I could easily see them buying out Corbin's contract.

Edit: and I think the team would have made more than that in additional revenue had the Jazz made the playoffs this year. So how much is a good coach worth?

Besides that many teams fire guys at rates past 2x what Corbin is getting AND with multiple years left on their deals. I know Utah's not a market with deep pockets vs competitors, but is dying Detroit doing so much better that it can eat... what is it, $8 million on Lawrence Frank?

Setting aside my feelings in the matter.

The sports media has a 24 hour news cycle, and with all the Talking heads who get paid to spout opinions they need material, and they need strong opinions to keep their jobs. It is no good for ratings to say that the Jazz are are being cautious and it is really nice that they are loyal and letting a guy who they believe has the right personality for the job to work through some mistakes and basically learn on the Job.

Lindsey said some of the critisims were valid, referring to Zach Lowe's article specifically. But Jazz keep talking about a process, a process to build a team, a process to build players-- is it inconceivable that they believe it is also a process to build a coach?

Legit post but it doesn't seem that corbin is improving much if at all, so how long do you think they should "build" thier coach without significant Improvement?
5 years? 10 years?
Because if we keep "building" corbin then a few more years might pass us by and we never fully use our players talent.

Maybe he will improve drastically in the next 2 years but if not then we will have wasted more years and be in a deeper hole

Corbin screwd up time after time its true... he loast alot of close games, oh and i strongly dislike him.. but if you look at the full spectrum the jazz have done a little better every year since he took over.. now grated we didnt make the playoffs, but basically any other year this record would have gotten us in the playoffs. i bet if we go back and look at where we projected the jazz would finish at the bigining of the year in that one thread we would be fairly close... i wish they would have let him go, but what can you do but hope corbin smarts up and plays the right kind of guys. gets an offense going and next year might be better...

I'm pretty sure that has to be the thought process at this point.. keeping Ty is a win-win for them, they don't have to pay him and a new coach, if they end up overachieving then we'll all shut up for a year, and if we suck then we get a great draft pick and they can blame this all on Ty.

And hopefully, mercifully, THEN get a new coach.

Corbin screwd up time after time its true... he loast alot of close games, oh and i strongly dislike him.. but if you look at the full spectrum the jazz have done a little better every year since he took over.. now grated we didnt make the playoffs, but basically any other year this record would have gotten us in the playoffs. i bet if we go back and look at where we projected the jazz would finish at the bigining of the year in that one thread we would be fairly close... i wish they would have let him go, but what can you do but hope corbin smarts up and plays the right kind of guys. gets an offense going and next year might be better...

People keep hoping. But Ty was in the league a long time, plus he had a bunch of years as an assistant, and now 2 plus years as a head coach, and he makes the same mistakes time and again. How much rope do you give a guy? He's not just a slow learner; it appears he's incapable of learning, based on this season's performance. So what, we got a little better -- we had a lot better team.

At one point this season I thought he would be fired. What sucks the most is that we're out of the running for Stan Van Gundy (even though we had a slim chance to begin with). He'll probably go to the clippers now.