What's new

2013 Free Agency - Guards Galore

OKC will have to save some money for Ibaka. So I think Harden might be oobtainable, make it "toxic" and roll the dice. I to like Holiday or Curry.

Harden is a freaking stud. Yes you offer him a lot. I think the guy could play point guard. He could be our next point. If he wanted to do that. But you all are forgeting something. Stars dont want to play here. And we are afraid of having them. Thats why we traded Dwill right?

What a more important question is what other teams are going to have space to sign him to a max. Probably a few, or at least a few will make room. Thats the game. Other teams are going to be eyeing him as well. And he'll probably choose somewhere else.

Our best chance to get the best players is to do it through the draft. Thats why we should be holding auctions right now for all our vets to bring in as many draft picks as we can. This is a small window we have right now to do what OKC did. If we could manage to get lucky and get 2-3 really good players together all similar ages, and locked up for a similar amount of time, then maybe we could convince them to stay because they are playing with good players and have a chance to win a championship. We cant hang our hopes on attracting top free agents. Aint happening.

We think we have four really good young players now, but we cant be sure. So thats why it is important to hit a homerun in this years draft, and next years too. To increases our chances we get lucky like OKC. Thats if you want some rings around here. But if you are ok with just making the playoffs then do it your way.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with BluesRocker. Better look out because I think I just saw swine overhead. And I think the weather channel just reported that Utah has frozen over!

Yep, let's pull a Portland on OKC. We've done it before in pursuing a couple of FA's before finally getting Boozer and Memo. Didn't Utah have signed offer sheets for Maggette and Brand and one other player that were matched by their respective teams? WE may not be able to attract "stars," but KOC has been able to attract lesser FA's who have a lot of upside and are looking for more playing time or solid vets like a Watson to fill out the bench.

I agree, though, Utah's best chance is to build through the draft. Since Harris, Jefferson, Bell, Miles and Howard aren't in the long-term plans, KOC needs to get whatever he can for them. Perhaps AL and Devin aren't tradeable until they have expiring contracts. But you have to think Miles and Howard would be worth a second-rounder, maybe even a late 1st to a contender. Get as many draft picks as possible. Then use the Memo TPE to pick up a starting wing.

How long will you keep "building through the draft"? The draft doesnt yield veterans, it yields freshers. At some point you will have to pay up once the rookie contracts are up. Jazz already have a bunch of draft picks and they might get a couple more this year. The problem is in developing them and retaining them.
I would'nt mind traing a pick or two to get a promising young stud(with some experience) with several years left on his contract so that he cant bolt.

vj 74. you have totally missed the point. The point is to build through the draft becuase the best free agents aren't coming here. And we need to have a couple paired up if we want a chance to win rings. Going through the drafrt gives us them for a long period of time. And a chance for them to grow here and want to stay because they grew with their partner in crime, ala Durant and Westbrook. Notice how they want to stay in OKC to play with each other. This is a very simple concept. How do you not get it?

vj 74. you have totally missed the point. The point is to build through the draft becuase the best free agents aren't coming here. And we need to have a couple paired up if we want a chance to win rings. Going through the drafrt gives us them for a long period of time. And a chance for them to grow here and want to stay because they grew with their partner in crime, ala Durant and Westbrook. Notice how they want to stay in OKC to play with each other. This is a very simple concept. How do you not get it?

Getting someone in draft doesnt automatically mean that they will want to stay with the same franchise who drafted with them for a long time. That's the exception, not the norm. I guess you are still dreaming about a Stockton/Malone like pair wanting to stay here forever to win rings. Doesnt happen a lot these days, if at all. Also if you do have a big star or two, the Jazz still have to have enough $$ left(after paying them) to get a good supporting cast around them to be true contenders. That becomes a problem.
If at all you have to do it, you have to do it through a combination of trades, FA signings and draft picks. Sitting around for 2-4 years waiting(and hoping) for your draft picks to develop, then hope that you can sign the best 2 out of them and then hope that you would have $$$ to put players around them...is too much to hope for. Jazz did manage to sign Booz,Okur after all, they were'nt drafted. Big Al was traded for. So was Harris. So its not like as if they can build only through picks

The problem is, the Jazz are lacking one pretty substantial thing, a star player. Doesn't matter how flexible and how great a team is financially, until it gets a star player, the team won't be very good. The positive is that the Jazz have more chances to get a star player. A financially crippled team has less of a chance to land a star player than one that has bunches of cap room.

The progressive luxury tax under the new CBA is toxic as well. Paul Allen, Bus, and Cuban are going to pay out the nose if they want to try buying it again. OKC would have to pay Durant $19mm, Westbrook $16ish?, Harden $16ish?, Blocka $12+? Sefalosha $4 Perkins $8.5, and Collison $2.5. That's $78 already and only 7 roster spots filled. Can OKC really afford upwards of $100,000,000 in total salary while staring the repeat offender violoation of an additional $1 per $1 over LT in the face down the road?

172191.jpg

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see who is willing to pay the tax down the road. It could change the game but we will see. I think new york for sure is going to be one that is willing to pay. We have seen then have a crazy salary as before. Im worried that the new tax laws will actually hurt the small market teams more.

Never the less. Maybe teams arent going to go after three max pays. But i could see two. So jazz are probably going to need two to compete. Maybe in the end the jazz cant pay for a team built like that, but they are going to have to if they want some rings. I know its not my money, but im not reall interested in watching if we dont have a realistic chance. So time will tell.

And vj 74 you are forgetting that when you draft players you have the bird rights and options to pay more than other teams. So another reason why we should build through the draft. And we may get low level stars through free agency but it wont be enough. For sure, you have to have at least one guy. Like a Dwill. And do realize how hard it is to get a guy like that unless we draft one.

Point Guards

Chris Paul (U)
Steph Curry (R)
Darren Collison (R)
Jrue Holliday (R)
Ty Lawson (R)
Brandon Jennings (R)
Jeff Teague (R)
Roddy Beaubois (R)

Shooting Guards

Monta Ellis (E)
Andre Iguodala (E)
Tyreke Evans (R)
Kevin Martin (U)
James Harden (R)
Manu Ginobili (U)
Anthony Morrow (U)
Gerald Henderson (R)

Blake Griffin, Serge Ibaka and Josh Smith also hit the market in 2013.

I'd love to see the Jazz take a run at Harden and Jeff Teague if they haven't solved their perimeter problems in the next year+. Thoughts?

The bolded are the players I would be interested in. Steph Curry is obviously kind of a pipe dream, but I love the way he plays. I doubt Jrue Holiday will be leaving Philly, but it would be nice to try. Has great length and plays good defense, I wouldn't give him a big contract though. Jeff Teague intrigues me, although he is definitely more of a shooter than a distributer. Great shooter though, I've liked him since his days at Wake Forest. As of right now, I want nothing to do with Roddy Beaubois, he's a good athlete but I am not at all convinced he knows how to play basketball yet. Definitely has a lot of potential though, he could be a similar player to Barbosa in his prime.

Harden is a stud and I would offer a lot of money to get him. Good shooter, athletic, good defender...not much wrong with him. He's averaging 17 points on a team with Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, he would average 20+ here. Plus he's got an awesome beard, what's not to love? I'm putting down Anthony Morrow just because he's a good shooter and as a last resort he would be nice. I would start Burks over him, but it would be nice to have Morrow coming off the bench as a shooter because we need that.

This is great. I firmly believe that you do not build title winning teams through FA. Other than LA, has any team been able to build a title team with FA's? You build through the draft and through trades. The good news is, when teams want to go after these players, and overpay for them, we may be able to obtain some very valuable pieces via trades. KOC needs to find our "go to guy" in the draft then build around that guy through trades. The Jazz are in an excellent position to do so, and I wouldn't mind if they did not do any trades this year because of this.

i think we should pursue dj augustin when he becomes a free agent. he's a good young point guard that i think can really help get the bigs some looks down low. he's also a good 3pt shooter. what do you think? or maybe even try trading for him would be sweet

My one concern would be. If the Jazz go out and get a big name player and spend their money, How will they be able to keep some of the young guys they currently have? You would hope at least some of them are going to be earning a lot more money than they currently are.