What's new

2013 Free Agency - Guards Galore

Yikes. 17 4 and 4 on great percentages. He may be better as a second option, but even then should be getting more than 7-9 per.

Lots of guys get overpaid. I like Harden a lot but how are you going to pay Favors, Kanter, Hayward and Burks if they all turn out to be players. Throw in our two picks this year. They are only on rookie contracts for 4 years. You can pay all of the young guys.

Franklin how about you grow up and stop acting like some internet tough guy. You probably wanted to pay AK the Max too. Harden is a very good player but if you pay him 11 or 12 million get ready to lose a couple of valuable Jazz players. Besides the fact that OKC will probable move some guys to keep him, the chance of him wanting to come to Utah is slim.

The only problem I see is we may have to pony up big to retain our own guys (Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks). This won't need to be done until after we make a splash in free agency, but, if you offer two guys max deals, say Harden and Curry, and get them, you probably don't have enough room under the lux tax to retain all your own guys. And that's not even counting the two more first rounders (probable lotto picks both) coming.

So, we might be in a position where we need to either make some hard choices (Favors or Harden anyone?), or we could possibly try to move assets forward or consolidate them. Moving forward and consolidating is easier said than done, for instance I inquired with Minny fans about what it'd take to get Rubio. The answer: Nothing the Jazz have or could offer would pry him away. That was before his injury, but, it helps illustrate how hard it'll be to get a young guy that looks like he has superstar potential.

Long story short, we may well end up just sitting on that cap space to use it on our own assets. But we can always hope Charlotte will take an offer of Favors, Hayward, #10 and #12 for #1. Most likely they just politely decline though.

Long story even shorter (longer) the best path for the Jazz to assemble a championship level team is to get very lucky in the draft and with the draftee. If we can't do that we'll probably be sporting the usual, good but not quite good enough, team that we usually do.

Why would the Jazz give away Favors, Hayward and two lottery picks to move up to number 1. Davis is good but he is not the reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain.

Lots of guys get overpaid. I like Harden a lot but how are you going to pay Favors, Kanter, Hayward and Burks if they all turn out to be players.
If they all turn out? That's a pretty big ****ing "if", and it's unlikely more than one of those 4 turn out as good as Harden. As it stands, however, even if all 4 of them turn out to be big money players, the Jazz would have the space under the tax to hold all 4 of those guys PLUS Harden for at least 2 seasons, and likely for 3. You don't wait around doing nothing when you can add good, young, tradeable assets just because there exists some highly improbable scenario where all your own players develop into superstars. Talent can always be moved. Not taking advantage of opportunities to add assets, especially in a buyer's market is just plain stupid.

I am surprised that I am not hearing more people that want Curry. To me he is the best prospect from that list hands down. I get made fun of for liking Harden as much as I do, but if it was either Curry or Harden it is not even a choice, Curry every time.

I think the hesitation with Curry is his ankle-problem. He's an amazingly efficient offensive player for a PG (1.02 PPP). His defensive rating via Synergy is mediocre, but I'd have to watch him more to assess his defense (gets a lot of steals). He's also such a lights-out shooter, something we absolutely require. He would probably work well with our slashers. Harden is an even more efficient guard (1.11 PPP, better than LBJ, and good for 9th in the NBA) and is a very good defender. Not as good a shooter as Curry, but has a better all-round game and he isn't injured like Curry.

Harden will command a lot of money in free agency. While we could offer him a lot of money, I just don't see him coming here. Who knows though...too early to speculate.

It will definitely be important for the Jazz to make a considerable leap but that would certainly help the odds from all angles at building a contender.

Everyone:

Lowry or Dragic?

If you can get Lowry and save a bunch of $$$, then you do it in a second. It won't be that easy, though. I think you'd have to take back some other unwanted salary and that might hurt us in the summer of '13

If you can get Lowry and save a bunch of $$$, then you do it in a second. It won't be that easy, though. I think you'd have to take back some other unwanted salary and that might hurt us in the summer of '13

Al and an unprotected 2013 pick (potentially Golden States, though Id prefer giving them our pick) for their latter pick, Lowry, and Kevin Martin. Works on trade machine.

Still enough cap room for 2013 (Martin expires at the same time as Al)

Please expound.

I personally am not extremely fond of either as well, but I feel like we could probably get one of them for Al.

Don't like Lowry because he shoots in the very low 40's %wise.

Don't like Dragic because he seems really streaky and the team was losing while he was doing the best.

Lowry still comes out pretty well efficiency-wise.

Dragic scares me. I have a hunch that I'd hate him eventually.

I'm of the notion that we shouldn't sign any of these points. Would any really be an upgrade over Harris? If so, how much of an upgrade and at what cost? Just a silly move that may be marginal at best and do nothing more than tie our books up and present us from making a better move a couple years later when we could be an actual contender.

Yikes. 17 4 and 4 on great percentages. He may be better as a second option, but even then should be getting more than 7-9 per.

I like Harden but if you are going t be spending 11 million on a guy who has been a 6th man then you better be ready to lose a key player on the Jazz. OKC is in the situation they are in because they brought in Perkins. Now how are they going to sign both Ibaka and Harden? They will have to get rid of Perkins which hurts their toughness besides the fact it will be difficult without taking back salary. $7-9 million is about what Millsap makes so are you guys saying Harden is that much better than Millsap. Franklin your previous post was juvenile and immature. How about you grow up a little?

If you guys think okc won't resign harden your ****ing retarded

You're*

But while we're talking about being "retarded", signing Harden to a max deal would be the crescendo of idiocy. I love him as much as all of you, but a max deal? Pass. Let some other team be foolish. Perhaps I'm still jaded about the whole AK thing, but I just can't get that scenario out of my head. I agree w/ BluesVinyl, get 'em through the Darft.