What's new

2013 Free Agency - Guards Galore

My one concern would be. If the Jazz go out and get a big name player and spend their money, How will they be able to keep some of the young guys they currently have? You would hope at least some of them are going to be earning a lot more money than they currently are.

This is why you don't look at getting a max guy in FA. You will have overpaid, especially if you are Utah. We need to gain assets (expiring contracts is one) and let other teams overspend, and give them an expiring for a very solid role player. The only way Utah will build successfully overall is through the draft and trades. We need to draft our superstar and trade for our role players.

This is why you don't look at getting a max guy in FA. You will have overpaid, especially if you are Utah. We need to gain assets (expiring contracts is one) and let other teams overspend, and give them an expiring for a very solid role player. The only way Utah will build successfully overall is through the draft and trades. We need to draft our superstar and trade for our role players.

What everyone on this tangent is forgetting is that it's possible that the Jazz get their best player through free agency. The plan is build through the draft, but if that hasn't yielded someone as good as, say, James Harden, then you go after him. That's an all-upside move.

As an organization, you do everything possible to get marquee talent. The Jazz right now are in a position where - worst case scenario - they JUST have a bunch of draft picks and a ton of cap room to extend guys. If they can add their best (or second-best) player through free agency then awesome. But again, the Jazz aren't banking on that to happen.

The progressive luxury tax under the new CBA is toxic as well. Paul Allen, Bus, and Cuban are going to pay out the nose if they want to try buying it again. OKC would have to pay Durant $19mm, Westbrook $16ish?, Harden $16ish?, Blocka $12+? Sefalosha $4 Perkins $8.5, and Collison $2.5. That's $78 already and only 7 roster spots filled. Can OKC really afford upwards of $100,000,000 in total salary while staring the repeat offender violoation of an additional $1 per $1 over LT in the face down the road?

172191.jpg

Even the Lakers this year are hesitant to use their TPE on Beasley because they dont want to pay the luxury tax and this is before it gets even worse.

Remember the Jazz are primed to have as much as $40mm of cap space, NOT including the wiggle room between the cap and the tax line, which gives the Jazz an additional $12mm or so. That is, the Jazz will have roughly $50mm of space under the luxury tax in the summer of 2013, with 6 lottery picks and 2 second rounders under contract. Even with Harden signed to a max 4-year deal (again, now with only 4.5% raises), the Jazz would be roughly $35mm under the luxury tax line, which gives plenty of space to re-up Hayward and Favors in '14 and Kanter and Burks in '15 (combined, they'll be making $16mm in 13/14, so the additional $35mm would bring their average extended contracts, if up to the tax line, to about $13mm each, minus whatever is required to fill out the roster...plenty of space). Beyond 2015/16, the Jazz may have some trouble, but signing 1 max guy in 2013 still allows them to take a real shot at a title for 3 years, assuming all their lottery picks pan out and are worth big extensions.

Last edited:
Also, what's the point in the Jazz saving the money to sign their own players if those players aren't as good as the free agent options? The Jazz should be acquiring as many valuable, tradeable assets as possible, and dealing with the cap ramifications as they come. If the Jazz can survive under the tax through the end of the 2015/16 season, their 2013 free agent signing will be expiring and likely fairly easy to move.

Also, what's the point in the Jazz saving the money to sign their own players if those players aren't as good as the free agent options? The Jazz should be acquiring as many valuable, tradeable assets as possible, and dealing with the cap ramifications as they come. If the Jazz can survive under the tax through the end of the 2015/16 season, their 2013 free agent signing will be expiring and likely fairly easy to move.
I agree with this. But you don't want to blow all of your money on a few players then not be able to sign some of your players that may end up being better. Hopefully by the end of next year we have a much better idea of what we have in Kanter, Favors, Burks and Hayward and can plan accordingly.

I agree with this. But you don't want to blow all of your money on a few players then not be able to sign some of your players that may end up being better. Hopefully by the end of next year we have a much better idea of what we have in Kanter, Favors, Burks and Hayward and can plan accordingly.

This is my biggest worry. Will the Jazz know what they have in these 4 players as well as some idea what they have out of the 1, 2 or 3 draft picks from this year? I am worried that Corbin cannot be trusted to get the minutes that these guys need and deserve.

The reason that this worries me is because there is a chance that Corbin will start Harris, Bell, Howard, Millsap and Jefferson when all of them are healthy. That is what I call anti-development. I don't want to hear this crap anymore about "players earning minutes". Kanter and Favors have routinely bested Jefferson and Millsap for the last 5 games. Burks has been in the top 3 wings for the Jazz every night ever since his DNP's stopped. If we don't move these vets soon then I am legitimately concerned that Corbin will keep playing the vets to save face.

If we can honestly know what we have, because they are getting playing time then this plan is the best thing that I have heard in a long time.

Bump. This thread deserves an updated OP. I think it's worth noting that both Dwight and CP3 will be UFAs this offseason as well. Whether the Jazz are in the hunt or not, it changes the landscape drastically (that is, unless one or both sign an extension somewhere).

Bump. This thread deserves an updated OP. I think it's worth noting that both Dwight and CP3 will be UFAs this offseason as well. Whether the Jazz are in the hunt or not, it changes the landscape drastically (that is, unless one or both sign an extension somewhere).
You mean DWill?

Dwight extended a year didn't he?

The only problem I see is we may have to pony up big to retain our own guys (Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks). This won't need to be done until after we make a splash in free agency, but, if you offer two guys max deals, say Harden and Curry, and get them, you probably don't have enough room under the lux tax to retain all your own guys. And that's not even counting the two more first rounders (probable lotto picks both) coming.

So, we might be in a position where we need to either make some hard choices (Favors or Harden anyone?), or we could possibly try to move assets forward or consolidate them. Moving forward and consolidating is easier said than done, for instance I inquired with Minny fans about what it'd take to get Rubio. The answer: Nothing the Jazz have or could offer would pry him away. That was before his injury, but, it helps illustrate how hard it'll be to get a young guy that looks like he has superstar potential.

Long story short, we may well end up just sitting on that cap space to use it on our own assets. But we can always hope Charlotte will take an offer of Favors, Hayward, #10 and #12 for #1. Most likely they just politely decline though.

Long story even shorter (longer) the best path for the Jazz to assemble a championship level team is to get very lucky in the draft and with the draftee. If we can't do that we'll probably be sporting the usual, good but not quite good enough, team that we usually do.

The only problem I see is we may have to pony up big to retain our own guys (Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks). This won't need to be done until after we make a splash in free agency, but, if you offer two guys max deals, say Harden and Curry, and get them, you probably don't have enough room under the lux tax to retain all your own guys. And that's not even counting the two more first rounders (probable lotto picks both) coming.

So, we might be in a position where we need to either make some hard choices (Favors or Harden anyone?), or we could possibly try to move assets forward or consolidate them. Moving forward and consolidating is easier said than done, for instance I inquired with Minny fans about what it'd take to get Rubio. The answer: Nothing the Jazz have or could offer would pry him away. That was before his injury, but, it helps illustrate how hard it'll be to get a young guy that looks like he has superstar potential.

Long story short, we may well end up just sitting on that cap space to use it on our own assets. But we can always hope Charlotte will take an offer of Favors, Hayward, #10 and #12 for #1. Most likely they just politely decline though.

Long story even shorter (longer) the best path for the Jazz to assemble a championship level team is to get very lucky in the draft and with the draftee. If we can't do that we'll probably be sporting the usual, good but not quite good enough, team that we usually do.

1. The Jazz have to spend 90% of the cap. Period. If they exercise all of their rookie-contract options, they will still have a massive amount of money to and needing to spend.

2. It's very doubtful that the worst player(s) of the young players will be better than Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, James Harden, Serge Ibaka, or Josh Smith.

James Harden would be interesting. Can OKC really afford to keep Durant, Westbrook and Harden? Not to mention the money they are paying Perkins and the money they will eventually be faced with to pay Ibaka.

James Harden would be interesting. Can OKC really afford to keep Durant, Westbrook and Harden? Not to mention the money they are paying Perkins and the money they will eventually be faced with to pay Ibaka.

They will have to ultimately choose between Harden and Ibaka. Both will be restricted at the end of next season and are going to fetch near max money. They might have to amnesty Perkins just to keep one of those guys.

thanks for this thread. Harden and Holliday stand out to me, but the latter especially could be hard to pry away. Perhaps Harden is gone because OKC won't have the cap space?

This is exactly what I myself was thinking. Some of the other points are also of interest to me to a lesser degree but none of the other twos.

Harden will command a lot of money in free agency. While we could offer him a lot of money, I just don't see him coming here. Who knows though...too early to speculate.