What's new

2016-17 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD

Sadly I dont expect much from Hood. I just hope whoever does start this series doesnt let Redick run all over them off screens.

I wonder if putting George Hill on Redick and Hood/Hayward/Ingles on CP3 is the better strategy move. Shutdown Redick with a long athletic defender who can keep up with him off-ball and force Paul to be a scorer. I dont mind CP3 scoring 30 a game if it means we shutdown their shooters.

I wonder if putting George Hill on Redick and Hood/Hayward/Ingles on CP3 is the better strategy move. Shutdown Redick with a long athletic defender who can keep up with him off-ball and force Paul to be a scorer. I dont mind CP3 scoring 30 a game if it means we shutdown their shooters.
I worry that hill might not be in game shape/100% and chasing Redick everywhere might tire him out.
Plus I want hill out there for as minutes minutes as possible due to our back up point guards not being all that good.
Plus I want hill to be coming up big on offense and don't want him using up all his energy on defense chasing Redick everywhere. (Not that guarding cp3 doesn't tire you out too, but chasing Redick everywhere is more energy consuming imo)

Wing is our deepest position. I think we should just let all of our wings take turns chasing him around and be physical with him. Slow him down and tire him out instead.

I mean who really is more deserving of "star calls" than CP3?? You can count the players on one hand.

If CP3 doesn't deserve 'star calls' than no one does..

(not saying its right, thats just how it is tho..)

Ya, but those teams are really close in terms of playing strength this season. If you have someone like Paul who really likes to direct his shoulder into the chest of opponents and Griffin, whose off-arm is pushing off a lot and they get a lot of blocking fouls on their offense and we don't get similar calls on the other end, then close games can quickly fall out of reach.
I just saw it in one game and maybe all the terrible refs had an extra terrible night, but Paul and Griffin get an annoying level of 50-50 calls from the refs similar like Harden.

I worry that hill might not be in game shape/100% and chasing Redick everywhere might tire him out.
Plus I want hill out there for as minutes minutes as possible due to our back up point guards not being all that good.
Plus I want hill to be coming up big on offense and don't want him using up all his energy on defense chasing Redick everywhere. (Not that guarding cp3 doesn't tire you out too, but chasing Redick everywhere is more energy consuming imo)

Wing is our deepest position. I think we should just let all of our wings take turns chasing him around and be physical with him. Slow him down and tire him out instead.

I think the wing observation is spot on. I really hope the size and quality of our wings can make the difference. The Clippers play with undersized SFs half the game. Redick or Crawford shifting up a position, so their tiny dudes can spend more time together. Their nominal SF plays the 7th most minutes on the roster with 22 mpg and is a train wreck on offense.
I'd try to start Ingles against them and have Hayward defend Redick. On the other end Redick will probably cover Ingles and I'm confident Ingles - Diaw PnR can be really interesting against them because every switch on Redick will mean huge trouble for the Clippers defense as Diaw is a maestro passing out of the post.
In general I don't think Favors will play big minutes with how inconsistent he looked in the last game. Maybe towards the end of the series his feel will be back, right now he's erroneous. The flow of the offense is usually really good with Diaw. As long as Iso-Joe doesn't do anything but spot up and shoot/attack close-outs, it runs well with him at PF too.

We need Hood to average 15-18ppg and shoot high percentage on threes. Rudy also has to be better than Deandre on both ends. They have the better of us in the PG and PF matchup, we have to be better everywhere else.

Hood held Redick to 2 3 pointers in the 48 minutes they were on the floor. See no reason to take him off Redick. Probably via Locke.

We need Hood to average 15-18ppg and shoot high percentage on threes. Rudy also has to be better than Deandre on both ends. They have the better of us in the PG and PF matchup, we have to be better everywhere else.

Ehh, I disagree on both accounts. Hood doesnt need to average 15 ppg, he just need to hit his open shots and not be inefficient.

As far as Rudy/DJ, it's not really a head to head matchup. It's like how the Jazz do against DJ vs how the Clippers do against Rudy.

Ehh, I disagree on both accounts. Hood doesnt need to average 15 ppg, he just need to hit his open shots and not be inefficient.

As far as Rudy/DJ, it's not really a head to head matchup. It's like how the Jazz do against DJ vs how the Clippers do against Rudy.
Rudy needs to be better against the Clippers than DJ is against the Jazz. Same thing. I'll agree on Hood though, putting a number on it is silly. He just needs to be reliable. X-Factor

Playoff George Hill may be able to cause playoff CP3 some issues. Hill gave it to Lowry last year... don't get cute here put Hill on CP3 and tell him 130M is on the line.

Rudy needs to be better against the Clippers than DJ is against the Jazz. Same thing. I'll agree on Hood though, putting a number on it is silly. He just needs to be reliable. X-Factor

We need Hood from last year. That play-making; that shooting.

I think the Clippers' defense is a little over-rated. If we can give them a consistent 3-pronged play-making attack (combos of Hill, Hay, Hood, and Ingles) and strong bench play, then I think we will break them.

A lot of people are assuming that CP3 will give the Clippers a distinct advantage at the 1. However, both Hill and CP averaged 31.5 MPG, while Paul averaged 18 PPG and Hill averaged 17 PPG. They both also shoot nearly identical percentages. I agree that Hill could very well outplay Chris Paul or neutralize him in the series. Hill has some size advantage and is a good defender when he's motivated.

Regarding Redick, there may be some instances where it's worth bringing Exum into the game just to stay in front of Redick and keep him from going off. I think if Exum gets time in this series, it will be to play as a defensive stopper on Crawford or Redick, and it could pay off. I think that's why Exum has been getting minutes to play off the ball on offense, it's to spike up our defense a bit.

I'd love to see some Exum vs. Redick and see if Exum can slow JJ down.

I don't see a lot of people mentioning Griffin who's been killing it of late.

I'm also curious what people think about who should start.

Hood or Ingles?
Diaw or Favors?

Hood or Ingles?
Diaw or Favors?

Griffin is the player im most worried about by far.

Hood and Favors imo. I actually put ingles and favors first though. I just think ingles would struggle in reddick.

Maybe starting ingles on m baumooteh (no idea lol) and Hayward on redick would work.

Hood or Ingles?
Diaw or Favors?

Yah, he had some crazy games against the Lakers and Mavericks. Just insane performances against great teams.