What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

I don't think Rozier checks all boxes perfectly, but I think he gets pretty close. The whole Rubio, Rozier, Exum debate would be fascinating. If we are talking about the next 5 years, who makes the Jazz a better team?

You know Rozier has a worse TS% than either Rubio, DM, or Exum (our three worst in the rotation this year), don't you? He does rebound well and doesn't turn the ball over much. But he's having a terrible shooting year and also has a worse AST% than either of those three.

Edit: a little late on the draw again... Thanks Piso

You know Rozier has a worse TS% than either Rubio, DM, or Exum (our three worst in the rotation this year), don't you? He does rebound well and doesn't turn the ball over much. But he's having a terrible shooting year and also has a worse AST% than either of those three.

It’s trending the wrong direction too... he should have signed his extension they were rumored to have offered him.

Rubio : TS 51% ; OBPM -1.3 ; DBPM 0.5 ; VORP 0.4
Rozier : TS 48.4% ; OBPM -1.3 ; DBPM 0.8 ; VORP 0.4

Rubio and Rozier are bad shooters and decent defenders.
I don't think Rozier is the solution. I would prefer Tomas Satoransky.

Tomas may be a joe ingles diamond in the rough. This wall injury may make him ungettable... I’m intrigued with him for sure.

I agree about the shooting. I dont think Rozier is the right choice here. But one big difference between the two that makes Rozier a slightly better fit here is he is a good defender, Rubio is not.

I understand he is having a bad year, but I really value what he did last postseason. I thought he was phenomenal for Boston in the bigger role he played. This year is a mess for the Celtics. Everybody is going through ebbs and flows of success and failure.

But I also have faith in Exum emerging so the Rozier thing is just chatter.

I'm not proposing the player but the type of PG/SG we should be looking for: Excellent spot up shooter, not ball dominant, big enough to defend 2s, could handle/play off the ball. I can't come up with a player like that who is available (unfortunately Beal is a pipe dream, I like Brogdon, Holiday maybe). For example, 2016 George Hill was a such a great fit in our system.

George Hill should be available this summer. Unfortunately, that would be the 2019 George Hill.

Seriously though, why not go after Justise?

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article224147795.html

They just extended him to a pretty affordable contract. We would probably have to take back some salary and help get Miami out of the luxury, but I think it could be worth it. Guy is still only 22.

I think, as much as anything, this kind of thing is why some people are exasperated by your trade ideas. Teams aren't eager to give up their best young prospects just to get out of the luxury tax. They'll try (and invariably succeed) with many, many other options first. And even if they don't succeed, they'll almost surely bite the bullet rather than give up their good young talent. (So no, I don't believe JJJ was truly available for just taking on Parsons' contract.)

I think, as much as anything, this kind of thing is why some people are exasperated by your trade ideas. Teams aren't eager to give up their best young prospects just to get out of the luxury tax. They'll try (and invariably succeed) with many, many other options first. And even if they don't succeed, they'll almost surely bite the bullet rather than give up their good young talent. (So no, I don't believe JJJ was truly available for just taking on Parsons' contract.)

I'm not the first guy to bring up Winslow. And it's not like he is in the same area code as Jaren Jackson Jr in terms of how is perceived around the league. He is a forward playing PG in a league stocked with PG's.

Miami has made it clear that they would like to get below the luxury tax line: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article220873105.html

Miami is more intent on clearing some contracts and getting out of the luxury than anything else: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-askira-story.html

Still somewhat intrigued with sending a pick (either 2019 or 2020... they have a few picks this year so maybe they prefer 2020) for Taureen Prince. Not sure what the asking price is, but he's a guy that helps us now on his rookie deal and allows us to still have space. Not even sure he's available but some of the rumor monger experts have mentioned him enough that I think he could be had.

I think he is definitely worth a first... definitely not worth two firsts.

Interesting... makes sense.
Does it, though? The longer this goes on, the more doubts I have. Can he create any offense? What do the rotations look like? Does he Tobias Harris with us? If not, that’s a hefty tag for someone scoring 16 ppg. Does he play the 4 for us? So many questions.

Does it, though? The longer this goes on, the more doubts I have. Can he create any offense? What do the rotations look like? Does he Tobias Harris with us? If not, that’s a hefty tag for someone scoring 16 ppg. Does he play the 4 for us? So many questions.

it makes sense that it would be us and Sacramento interested.

I don't know if he creates his own offense. He can play 4 but I'm not sure he'd start there. Run DM, Ingles, OP JR., Jae, Rudy.

Niko's name is out there a bit in trade rumors too... think they like AD and Randle frontcourt and want help somewhere else maybe... hope you left the light on for him.

Niko's name is out there a bit in trade rumors too... think they like AD and Randle frontcourt and want help somewhere else maybe... hope you left the light on for him.

I don't think Mirotic is going anywhere. They are itching to get him back so they can make a run.

Yes, I think Niko likely won't be in NOP past this year. They'd want to get something out of them, and if DL wasn't parting with a first this year, ain't no way he's parting with anything beyond expirings. I suppose if NOP knew for certain they weren't bringing him back and wanted something they may roll the dice on Bradley, but I'd imagine you could land something better than that. I don't know what Houston has in salary they can send back, but even they could use more firepower. Even maybe Dallas and DSJ.

Yes, I think Niko likely won't be in NOP past this year. They'd want to get something out of them, and if DL wasn't parting with a first this year, ain't no way he's parting with anything beyond expirings. I suppose if NOP knew for certain they weren't bringing him back and wanted something they may roll the dice on Bradley, but I'd imagine you could land something better than that. I don't know what Houston has in salary they can send back, but even they could use more firepower. Even maybe Dallas and DSJ.

I could see it more in a three team scenario... like if they want OP Jr. They send Niko out in the deal and we take him and send Favs to Wiz. Would be many other moving parts, but windhorst said they are trying to use him and moore to get something to build around Davis. An upgrade on the perimeter would be what they are looking for.

I had thoughts of Ricky for Niko... They like non-shooting pgs like Rondo and Payton... okay maybe not but i did think about it for a minute.