What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Conley is better than what we have, but not for $30MM per year. He is undersized, not as quick as he used to be, and injury prone. He is also just an average shooter (better than Ricky, but still...). I still think that Exum has a lot of potential. Not sure if he can stay healthy to get there, but if we give him up along with 2 picks I'll be disappointed. I've seen Exum's confidence go up every year (with some injury setbacks). His man on man defense can be elite. I agree with some above that would give him up for Jrue, who is a very good all around player. Conley has a lot of negatives.

Edit: Conley's man shoots a very small percentage below their average. He isn't a liability per say on D, but his size can be exploited and he isn't as quick as he used to be. A big price tag for him IMO.

Because there is a less than zero chance Kemba signs here and Conley is much much better than Rubio.

I mean... duh.
Conley is better than Ricky yes. But is he a "plus Dante and two first rounders" better than Ricky? Especially right now we're only 2 games above #9 in the West. It could be two lottery picks that DL is giving up.

I would want Jrue more too. But not sure why people are acting like going for Conley means the Jazz prefer him. Holiday can fetch way more in a trade.

And feel free to go check the stats, it's not like Jrue is 10x the player.

Conley has always been super underrated, more of that in this thread.

Conley is better than Ricky yes. But is he a "plus Dante and two first rounders" better than Ricky? Especially right now we're only 2 games above #9 in the West. It could be two lottery picks that DL is giving up.
You're worried about nothing because they won't be lottery picks, and they'll lottery protect them just in case something horrible happens.

I think part of the issue is that the Jazz have a really unique window here. They’ve got one superstar on a great contract, and the other one is on a rookie contract. Now is the time to identify someone in between Rudy and Donovan’s age range that you think has potential to become a superstar, and go get them in free agency.

Trading for Mike Conley is potentially an enormous waste of that luxury. He’s a zero time all star, on the wrong side of 30, and has probably already played his best basketball.

I don’t mind trading two first round picks for a long-term asset, but for this? In this unique of a window? I can understand it if the goal is to get something back for Rubio and get some value back for Dante, but anything more than that is just a terrible trade for this franchise.

You're worried about nothing because they won't be lottery picks, and they'll lottery protect them just in case something horrible happens.
Right now it doesn't sound like there's any protection on those pick. And Conley is the definition for "injury prone" if you check the # of games that he missed over the past 3 seasons. If we give away Ricky/Dante and Conley/Neto go down like they usually do, we will immediately get stuck with 0 PG again and I don't see how missing the playoffs not becoming a real possibility then.

Right now it doesn't sound like there's any protection on those pick. And Conley is the definition for "injury prone" if you check the # of games that he missed over the past 3 seasons. If we give away Ricky/Dante and Conley/Neto go down like they usually do, we will immediately get stuck with 0 PG again and I don't see how missing the playoffs not becoming a real possibility then.
Mitchell plays the PG just fine in that scenario. If Mitchell and Gobert are healthy we are not missing the playoffs. We have an easy schedule left.

I think part of the issue is that the Jazz have a really unique window here. They’ve got one superstar on a great contract, and the other one is on a rookie contract. Now is the time to identify someone in between Rudy and Donovan’s age range that you think has potential to become a superstar, and go get them in free agency.

Trading for Mike Conley is potentially an enormous waste of that luxury. He’s a zero time all star, on the wrong side of 30, and has probably already played his best basketball.

I don’t mind trading two first round picks for a long-term asset, but for this? In this unique of a window? I can understand it if the goal is to get something back for Rubio and get some value back for Dante, but anything more than that is just a terrible trade for this franchise.

I'm good with a Conley trade... but not plus two firsts... Dante and a first... okay I guess. Two firsts is paying 125% imo... when they are in a terrible dealing position. Only takes one ******* to overpay, but we should be paying 75% because they are in a terrible bargaining position.

They are a couple hundred thousand dollars away from the tax... so salaries coming back have to be lower than outgoing... at least slightly. Detroit is in the same spot so they need to enlist other parties for help, but don't have a ton of sweetners to spare. SA doesn't have enough expiring salary so they'd have to eat some bad deals... but there are some solid assets, white, Murray, Walker, they have a couple firsts too.

Orlando and Phoenix? Maybe but salary matching is almost impossible with Phoenix. Orlando has to send back bad salary and I'm not sure they'd send an unprotected pick. If memphis likes Bamba then I could see Orlando saying... eff it we need a pg and that being better than our offer. Bamba and JJJ is not ideal imo.

I just don't see a much better offer materializing for them, so I hope DL is willing to walk away from the table. One first is more than fair imo... if they need a selling point with some sizzle then throw Exum in the deal. Can sell potential and top 5 pick yada yada.

Mitchell plays the PG just fine in that scenario. If Mitchell and Gobert are healthy we are not missing the playoffs. We have an easy schedule left.
we HAD an easy schedule when Mitchell played the point. But the remaining schedule aren't easier than the schedule played when we lost all of our PG. Losing one position entirely always hurts no matter how you look at it. But that's not the point, the point is: Conley's not worth it.

Pels want a first rounder for Mirotic apparently.

Don't see that happening.

IF they take on bad money for next year maybe... kinda tough to get more than your acquisition price last year when the guy hasn't been healthy and is expiring.

I could see Philly doing it though... they have extra picks still and this draft is really meh from what I hear.

Also, Rubio and Conley are essentially the same in regards to rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. Conley's overall shooting percentage is 3.1% higher than Rubios. His 3pt% is 3.1% higher as well. They have essentially the same FT percentage. Conley shoots a lot more, but his 2 PT % is 43%. Not bad for a PG, but not a giant boost IMO. Conley has an EFG% of 50.1%. Rubio is 46.4%.

Conley is much better, he will likely have fewer assists but shoot a better % from 3 in the Utah system and he is past his prime. I've seen him go nuts a few games this year though. He is definitely a better player. But we will have a tiny backcourt with Conley and Donovan. I'm fine with moving Rubio for Conley and even picks. Not ready to give up on Exum. I think he provides a perfect backcourt tandem to Donovan. Exum can guard a bigger 2 if necessary, is a good passer and defender. Having two guards with super high usage rates would not be my first buy. What we need is a stretch 4. And if we give up favors without a replacement, that would be a huge negative too.

we HAD an easy schedule when Mitchell played the point. But the remaining schedule aren't easier than the schedule played when we lost all of our PG. Losing one position entirely always hurts no matter how you look at it. But that's not the point, the point is: Conley's not worth it.

Have you seen our last 16 games? We’ll probably be favored to go 16-0

IF they take on bad money for next year maybe... kinda tough to get more than your acquisition price last year when the guy hasn't been healthy and is expiring.

I could see Philly doing it though... they have extra picks still and this draft is really meh from what I hear.

The problem is Philly doesn’t have anyone to match in that salary range except Fultz

I hope the Boston team burns to the ground. Couldn't happen to a better franchise. They byuilt that team on the backs of a stupid Nets FO. Payback is a bitch Danny when players leave you in the lurch without you maybe getting something in return.

Not ready to give up on Exum. I think he provides a perfect backcourt tandem to Donovan. Exum can guard a bigger 2 if necessary, is a good passer and defender. Having two guards with super high usage rates would not be my first buy. What we need is a stretch 4. And if we give up favors without a replacement, that would be a huge negative too.

Me too. If (a big if) Dante can stay healthy and put it all together, it's ideal. He can create, defend larger guards, and put the ball in Mitchell's hands where it belongs.

It does hurt, that doesnt mean we cant win. We had an easy schedule when Mitchell was our PG and it continues to be easy. That's the perk of having the hardest schedule in the NBA by a long shot to start the year. Jazz still have the 2nd easiest schedule the rest of the year.